Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseofMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows a reliable external CD drive option besides the SuperDrive?

Amazon.com for example lists tons of other branded options but many say incompatibility with Mac OS, in particular having the common of the Mac blocking the devices USB-port connection.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Don't settle for just a dvd drive. Blu Ray has so many more uses. I've had a Samsung one for a while now and love it. Also great for ripping my Blu Ray collection to itunes :)

kwren

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
I just bought and tried out an LG external drive yesterday. Confusing instructions (said to download firmware update, got big scary warnings about site from Firefox, then the LG customer service person told me it was not needed). So, I just plugged it in. First try playing dvd....froze screen, had to manually reboot mac laptop. Second, wouldn't burn a CD using iTunes. Back to Best Buy. Apple's version getting really bad reviews....
http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive?page=0&rf=1
I want a good alternative!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows a reliable external CD drive option besides the SuperDrive?

Amazon.com for example lists tons of other branded options but many say incompatibility with Mac OS, in particular having the common of the Mac blocking the devices USB-port connection.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Hi all,

This month I bought my 2nd Mac Mini(MM) and a 2nd Apple Superdrive(AS). On my older Mac Mini(late 2012) that I bought in 2013 along with a AS; I loaded a ton of music CD's using ITunes Match, also quite-a-lot of DVDs onto the MM HD and my AS "hummed" like-a-bird!

So, I recommend the AS Highly!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.