Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Decided to digitise my movies, initially started to do this via purchase on the iTunes store, but the editing on so many movies is awful.

Decided instead to purchase blu rays again and just rip them.

Looked at MakeMKV and Handbrake - quite slow, and have occasionally ripped the wrong file - despite choosing the largest one.....

Looked at some other software and the Leawo Blu Ray Ripper seems quite good and currently on sale. Anyone used this? Also did people purchase the 1 year license or the lifetime license? Cant see the need to update the software as presumably the encryption won't change - otherwise blu ray players will struggle, and the lifetime license is $30 more than the 1 year license?

Thought much appreciated

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I use this and got the life time licence.
I have handbrake but this software is better in my view, you can set the quality and has lots of presets for you to start with.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Have you had it over a year, have there been many updates? lifetime is double price of 1 year....I agree software seems good and much quicker than MakeMKV and Handbrake

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Erm, I'm trying to think. it was about Nov time i think i got it.
Updates, 2-3 from memory - so nothing huge.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Decided to digitise my movies, initially started to do this via purchase on the iTunes store, but the editing on so many movies is awful.

Decided instead to purchase blu rays again and just rip them.

Looked at MakeMKV and Handbrake - quite slow, and have occasionally ripped the wrong file - despite choosing the largest one.....

I use MakeMKV and the iVI to convert and add metatags. iVI, depending on the bit rate, takes about an hour per 13gb mkv. If you have a VM give DVDCatalyst (now called Video Catalyst) a try. It seems to convert faster and produces smaller files. I us it to convert mkv files but it will also rip BlueRays; but you need AnyDVD HD as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.