Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Just an FYI for those considering the 11" for music production.

I just picked one up (Stock with 4GB ram 1.4GHz processor) and just did the included "Helena Beat" demo test by Foster The People (74 tracks).

I added an additional piano and just played arpeggios during the whole song - and I stayed at around 61% CPU idle in activity monitor. Ram stayed in the green.

I also had Radium open and playing an internet stream radio station...as well as Facebook, safari (only 1 tab), Leaf (RSS reader), mail, and a PDF in preview.

This is all using the included logic pro 9 instruments - but this little machine is pretty amazing! My 15" 2014 retina has been sitting on the desk looking pretty lonely since I got it...

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone curious!

Oh - and this was all on battery!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I ran Logic 9 on my 2011 4gb i5 MBA and it worked great. I run it now on my 2013 8gb i7 MBA and it also works great. I see less latency on the new machine, but it wasn't bad on the old one. The new models are going to be even better.

These are really fast little machines! :)

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I edit video on this thing and its perfectly fine. Way faster than my '12 mac mini, that thing is a dog.

Only downsize to editing video and music production is the small screen. Things like that is when you really could use more screen real estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.