Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
stupidly, i set up a password to get into my mba running yosemite. is there a way to delete the password or bypass it. its also the password i use for iTunes etc etc if that means anything.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Boot holding cmd+r open terminal from the top bar and type resetpassword then hit enter. Follow the prompts

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I have a similar question.

I just set up my new box which came with Yosemite pre-installed, and so it's linked to my iTunes account.

When I boot the computer I need to type in my iTunes password and when it wakes from sleep, but I'd rather use a different password than my iTunes password.

If I changed the password for my login will that change the password for my iTunes password as well? I just want to change the login password and keep my iTunes password as it is.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If I changed the password for my login will that change the password for my iTunes password as well? I just want to change the login password and keep my iTunes password as it is.

No it won't. Just go to the account in Users&Groups in System Prefs and change the password to whatever you want. That won't change your iTunes password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.