Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
With android phones coming out that are on par with the iPhone what makes you stay with the iPhone after you tried those devices? I have not moved away from iPhone yet, but the new samsung galaxy s6 has me looking into it. If you did try one of these new flagships, why did you move back to iPhone or why are you still using that particular phone, android or windows.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Alright...

When I had the iPhone 4s. I tried the Samsung Galaxy Nexus..
Couldn't stand it.

My main woes
Native email client was LACKING. BADLY. Also became unstable with multiple mail accounts.
Once you got a decent amount of messages (I run a pretty big small business, I get 10-20K SMS a month, never mind the fact I use 3000-4000 minutes). The messaging app couldn't keep up, and was becoming unstable with a large load of messages.

Once I got a decent amount of stuff on the phone I found it lagging out very easily.

I didn't use it long, but I don't like to have to tinker with my phone, should work OOB for what I need it for. I do understand Android has come a long way since the initial ICS release though.

For me ESPECIALLY now.
My iPhone syncs with EVERYTHING. My production machine is a Mac Pro, SMS, Calling, notes, calendar, Safari, everything syncs. I can message and call people from my Mac. And respond much faster.

Something back in 2011 with the 4S that wasn't a big deal but is now, is FaceTime, FaceTime Audio and iMessage. I can message people internationally without causing myself long distance SMS fee's. Almost all of my intl clients have iPhones. I was able to kill my US and UK calling add-ons saving me 30$ a month thanks to FaceTime Audio, which I must say is also a lot more reliable for calling internationally. Also I can pick up the call on my Mac, which is perfect when my iPhone is charging.

Another thing on that point is when I'm traveling internationally, everything is kept in sync. Pop in a different country SIM if needed in my backup iPhone, my number from my main iPhone stays there, text, call through FaceTime/iMessage keeps my number intact and doesn't confuse clients or make me miss important information.

Simple backups/restores. When I get a new device its an easy "Restore Backup"

Everything just "works" on my iPhone, and works wonderfully.

Ecosystem Integration is a dream.

From a business-user standpoint, Android just wouldn't work for me.

I do know that theirs ways to get your Android texts and stuff on your computer, but the way the iPhone does it is built into OS X and my iPhone itself. The seamlessness is what keeps me here.

That and if I ever have a problem, I can walk into an Apple Store and walk out with a new device.

-TMacGuy

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
With android phones coming out that are on par with the iPhone what makes you stay with the iPhone after you tried those devices? I have not moved away from iPhone yet, but the new samsung galaxy s6 has me looking into it. If you did try one of these new flagships, why did you move back to iPhone or why are you still using that particular phone, android or windows.

For me, it's Windows. My Dell Win 7 laptop is about to die (internet connection/ethernet issues) and, I was tempted to upgrade to a Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion Beats Edition:cool:;). However, after trying 8/8.1 out again (first time in almost 2 years) it did not feel viable for my already extreme expectations. I'm a teenager who likes functionality over design. 8.1 is great however, the functionality is a mess andno functional start button (use a 3rd party app)

A Metro UI for both touch screen users and non touch screen? (gets fixed in Win 10?)
Glitches and crashes (apps suposed to be opening up in desktop view but, open in Metro view and glitch out? [Happened on my test subject's XPS and, have seen many glitches on other laptops too])

Reduced battery life? (equivelent to Windows 7 models in same preformance mode.)

These are the things that turned me away and, I came to my senses and hunted down a Win 7 PRO (I have a Ultimate Disk too laying around) HP Envy which will be maxed out.:D

Windows is regaining control but, hopefully Windows 10 will solve all the problems. I am even debating installing the beta on a duel boot hard drive (either on my out of commisson Dell or my new HP):cool:

This proves do your reaserch before jumping the bandwagon;):D

Edit:
I did not choose a Mac because of there track record and my experience. I grew up with Windows (XP mainly) and, the features blew me away! Macs are different and take getting used to (I have used them before and, only find them useful for managing your iPod, iPhone or iPad ). On top of that, you can argue there durability and, especially there price tags! Thus, Macs were out of the equation for me.

One of these days, I am going to try Ubantu. It will be different but, I am up for the challenge!

Last edited:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I have indeed tried Android, and currently have both Android smartphone + tablet AND iPhone + iPad. The big draw of Android was its customization ability, especially after rooting. Surely, the Android platform did allow me to tweak freely, from widgets to modding system files. However, after a while, tweaking wasn't all that special. First, you started tweaking for the sake of tweaking, rather than making it working better. Second, the device began to run into issues. You can't help but feeling they were caused by the tweaks. Then it became a trial and error game and never ending trouble shooting. That's when I keep going back to me iDevices.

I'm torn between the two platforms at the moment. The expandable storage memory is one feature that I really enjoyed with my Android devices. On the other hand, stability and integration with my other Apple devices are something I am not ready to give up.

Ron20

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
i have had a 3gs and a 4s really loved my 4s but, i grew tired of the having to jailbreak to get some cool features that my samsung galaxy s3 came with (plus it had better stuff) but i found out i could jailbreak that and enjoyed the custom roms. now i am rocking a galaxy s4 rocking custom roms (until it messed up now i am modded stock) (wasnt worth it but the TV remote app (i used for awhile still do when i dont feel like getting up to turn tv off.)
now i want an iphone again..

also i upgrade every 2 years unless i use my other line...

(my grandma has my old 4s, (i tired to talk her into a better one but she is quite happy with what she has.).

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Have an s5..... like it a lot but for me nothing beats the ease, fluidity, resale value of the iPhone. PLUS our family is entrenched in the app store and iTunes so unless someone comes out with a phone that I decide is better than the iPhone (for my needs as I think the top model of each brand is strong in it's own way) I won't be switching. (If apple hadn't moved to a larger screen I probably would have given up iPhone this go around until they did so)

Throw in the apple watch I'll be purchasing on the 10th and for me it's a no brainer to stay with apple.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I had two Android phones and a Windows Phone that I used between iPhone 4 and the 5S. For me there was never anything that stood out for me except Cortana working with third-party apps (I want Siri to be able to do that so bad).

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
iOS is still the best mobile os available. Android is so fragmented, that you're lucky you can find an app that runs on your device. Google Play is an horrific mess.

So yea, that's why iPhone.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I prefer the way iOS works. I've used Android extensively (still own a Nexus 5 running Lollipop), but I prefer the iOS-way of doing things.

Media syncs easily between the iPhone, my iPad, my Macs and my AppleTVs.

The app ecosystem is strong and generally of high-quality.

Accessories are readily available - iPhone cases are available at nearly every corner drugstore but just try to find a Nexus 6 case there. Not that I'm buying cases every time I go to a drugstore, but it's one example.

OS updates come out consistently and without carrier interference, something that's hard to find in the Android ecosystem outside the Nexus and GPE devices.

I can plug my phone in to the USB port of my cars and play music directly off the devices, including playlists, cover art, etc., all accessible from the cars' stereo head units.

Battery life has been better, for me, on all my iPhones as compared with the Android devices I've tried so far with the exception of the Moto Droid HD Maxx (but that phone was unusably slow following the 4.1 update).

Android has many positives, though for me the iPhone's positives outweigh Any positives Android may have.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Back in January, I bought three phones, a 6+, Note 4 and a Note Edge. Out of all three, the Note Edge is my most used. I prefer the way I can do things on this phone over the other two. I have several apps that I use on both platforms but on the Android side, have more functionality most likely because they have more flexibility on Android to do things. I don't have these problems on my Note 4/Note Edge or even my 2+ year old Nexus 4 on Lollipop.

I still have times when an app on my iPhone crashes and there is the most annoying bug ever where the keyboard never appears occasionally in an app here and there.

I have not experienced any problems in installing apps that will run on 4.4.4 as the user above claims. Anything I have installed, works. The user above must have an older version running on his phone.

I still enjoy using iPhones mostly because of everything related to iTunes and iTunes Match and iTunes Radio. If I could find a service that was as good as these three on Android, I would forget about the iPhone all together and yes, I've tried all services related to Google music, even have all my iTunes music in Google Music.

I'm already thinking of buying a Nexus 6 but it's already so late in the year that I may as well wait till September or October to see what the next Nexus is going to be.

All three of my phones are paid for and are eligible to be unlocked. I just haven't done so because I have no desire to ever leave T-Mobile.

I'm excited about what is coming next from Google/Samsung, kind of how I used to be so excited about that next iPhone. I haven't felt that excited about an iPhone since the 4S. That excitement is fading every year.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Back in January, I bought three phones, a 6+, Note 4 and a Note Edge. Out of all three, the Note Edge is my most used. I prefer the way I can do things on this phone over the other two. I have several apps that I use on both platforms but on the Android side, have more functionality most likely because they have more flexibility on Android to do things. I don't have these problems on my Note 4/Note Edge or even my 2+ year old Nexus 4 on Lollipop.

I still have times when an app on my iPhone crashes and there is the most annoying bug ever where the keyboard never appears occasionally in an app here and there.

I have not experienced any problems in installing apps that will run on 4.4.4 as the user above claims. Anything I have installed, works. The user above must have an older version running on his phone.

I still enjoy using iPhones mostly because of everything related to iTunes and iTunes Match and iTunes Radio. If I could find a service that was as good as these three on Android, I would forget about the iPhone all together and yes, I've tried all services related to Google music, even have all my iTunes music in Google Music.

I'm already thinking of buying a Nexus 6 but it's already so late in the year that I may as well wait till September or October to see what the next Nexus is going to be.

All three of my phones are paid for and are eligible to be unlocked. I just haven't done so because I have no desire to ever leave T-Mobile.

I'm excited about what is coming next from Google/Samsung, kind of how I used to be so excited about that next iPhone. I haven't felt that excited about an iPhone since the 4S. That excitement is fading every year.

For me, I stopped getting exited with the iPhone 5. I am debating whether to go over to Android for a little bit and, take my 4S out sometimes too. I used to love Apple but, have been loosing hope with them. I would like to root a S5 running Kit Kat and, make it run like a tank!

However, in the end, my 4S is beautiful. :cool:There is something special between me and that phone. It is the perfect size for texting, durable, and, I make the right decision keeping it on iOS 6. :cool::apple:! It was hard and, tough but, every time I use my iPhone, I am happy;)! The way it looks always makees me smile:D!

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I've twice tried to move away from iOS and twice come back to my iPhone.

A few years back I was a bit bored with iOS etc so got a nexus 4. Used it for five days and went back to my iPhone. I found android clunky, laggy and compared to iOS very unintuative. Everything seemed to need a few extra taps.

After few months back I decided to move to android because I thought the 6 was too big (still think so) for me personally but having had the 5 for two years I wanted a new phone.

I thought since it obviously has come on in leaps and bounds I'd love android. I never upgrade my iPhone until the jailbreak is out because stock iOS is so restrictive. What would be bad? All the features of a jailbroken iPhone without having to jailbreak.

So I grabbed a Moto G 4G. I found android a lot less clunky and no lag at all but still found it very unintuative compared to iOS. For example. If I want to switch on wifi on my iPhone I pull up control cente and hit wifi. On the Moto I pull down, click settings then wifi, it opens the wifi menu and then you switch wifi on. Yes it's only a few clicks but it's uncalled for because I know, having used iOS that there's no need for it to take so many clicks.

There was also a few apps I use that weren't available on Android. The main one being perfect Or atomic browser. It's the app I use most and I couldn't find a browser I liked. Non seemed to have proper tabs (as in listed across the top like they are on a PC). I spent a week trying every browser in the play store to find one I thought was okay. Also couldn't find a Twitter app I liked. Tweetlist isn't available on android.

Besides the lack of decent browsers I honestly hated the keyboard. It was absolutely awful. I mean I honestly found it appalling. I tried a load from the play store but they were all awful to the point I found myself using my laptop for emails and anything beyond a text message. Something I've not done in years.

There was no tap to the top and no double clicking the space bar for a full stop. Two things I didn't realise I used so much until they weren't there for me to use. I was a bit incredulous that there was no tap to the top. Seriously surely that should be standard now?

I also couldn't figure out how to get both of my email accounts set up with the standard mail account. No matter what I tried it wouldn't add my main email account. So I had to have two email clients instead of one.

Basically take into account no decent browsers and an appallingly bad keyboard and android for me was unusable. And I can't blame the phone, whilst it isn't flagship it is an amazing phone for the cash. And I really really wanted to love it. I just personally don't like android. I really wish I did.

I stuck with it for three weeks before going back to my iPhone 5 and heaving a massive sigh of relief!

Windows phone is out as the UI looks absolutely awful to me.

No idea what I'll do if Apple don't release a smaller iPhone this September because I have to admit I'm sick of looking at my iPhone 5 now.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

I tried a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0" and a Samsung Galaxy S3. The Tab was mine and the S3 my wife's- yet I used it a lot.

I learned quickly Android was not for me.

CONS-

-Screens were over saturated
-Unreliable stock apps
-lack of control( never used stock apps running in the background among other things)
-lack of good/well designed apps
-non intuitive menus/settings
-trying to sync media from a mac was a nightmare

Heck I don't remember it all - it's been too long.

I'm sure the situation has improved a lot since I tried Android but I just love the seemlessness between my Mac, my iPhone, my iPad, my Apple tv.

I just find the usablitity/intuitiveness of Apple software to be what's best for me.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I went to iPhone and have never jumped ship. There's no reason for me too. The grass isn't greener on the other side. There is no grass in the ocean for me, so the logical option is to stick with what I'm happy with. :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ecosystem. My iPhone plays well with my other devices (iPad, MacBook air, Apple TV). I've used android phones and combined them with android tablets, windows laptops and the chromecast. But whatever combination I've tried, it doesn't work that well. It's not seeemless as it is with my Apple devices.

After sales support. I've rarely had to use this but knowing that I can go to my local Apple store if I have any issues is important to me.

Available content. I can purchase all the TV shows and movies I want on iTunes. A lot of the TV shows I want are not available on Google play. Also there are some apps that I can get from the App Store which are not available on android.

Battery life:
No android device that I've ever used compares with the battery life on my 6 plus or ipads. Although with some android phones you can have replace your battery, it's still not as conceniant or useful as the battery life I can get on my 6 plus. For that reason I can't part with my 6 plus or ipads.

Storage: The ability to buy 128GB built in storage on my iPhone and iPads trumps using SD cards.

Updates: Are timely on iOS and I know that my devices will be supported for a few years. On Android you never know when you will get updates unless you buy a nexus device and you don't know how long your device will be supported for.

Accessories: The range of accessories available for the galaxy devices is decent but it doesn't compare to what you can get for Apple devices.

A lot of things work better on iOS for example messaging, email, the stock keyboard is better and even beats third party keyboards such as swift key on android.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I had android for a bit to try out. It's ok but is inconsistent. For me iOS has iMessage, FaceTime. Integration with my other apple stuff (iPad, apple tv) apps also look better usually.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I've actually tried to come back to the iPhone but I continue to run back to Android. I have a 6 plus as well as a Droid Turbo and for whatever reason I can run circles around my iPhone with my Turbo. I am more efficient and can accomplish more on Android than I can on the iPhone. I have pushbullet extension installed in my chrome browser do its easy for me to send and reply to text messages from my PC. I'm tied to the Google ecosystem and it is easier for me to reply to email (gmail), keep my events organized in a calendar of my choice, and Google now continues to get better. I have widgets for all 3 of these on my home screen so it's just a quick glance. Notifications on Android I feel are much better and the moto apps the Turbo has are awesome. To be able to see a notification without even turning the screen on as well as dismiss it without the screen on is amazing and a time saver as well.

My wife has iPhone 6, my son has the 4s, my other 2 kids have ipods and all of them are deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. So it should make sense that I would stick it out with the iPhone. The touch ID is a great feature and one thing I miss. I do have a 2014 MacBook Pro but I can't say I use it much. Most of time is spent on a Windows 8.1 laptop because majority of my school work in college has to be done in office products and my professors want us using office 2013 that the school provides for Windows machines only. So the MacBook sits on a shelf most of the time.

There are things I really do like about the iPhone. I'm a bit ocd and the way everything flows together is very nice and it is a beautiful os. There are some who don't care for ios 8 but I think it's gorgeous visually. Android can be a jumbled mess at times but the ability to set it up the way I want and use whatever default apps I want I think is what makes it more efficient for me.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Personal preference. Also experience. The Androids seem cheaply made, all plastic. screens are more costly than the 6 itself. The interface looks like Windows 8. Windows 8 sucks. The charging ports/batteries fail. Very difficult to work on.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I went through this weird, short period in my life where I was anti-Apple. I sold my MacBook Pro, bought a PC, bought an Android tablet, and used an unlocked Android phone for about six months.

It took me a while to realize that I think Android is really ugly. I cannot stand ugly looking UI and software. I also hate how Android is different on every device. I believe that they should all look and function the same way. I'm also seriously invested in the Apple ecosystem already, and that meant abandoning everything I've purchased from iTunes/App Store.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The ecosystem and the fact I have bought so many apps over the years, that switching to a droid wouldn't make financial sense. If I could switch over and get droid apps that I already own on iOS for free, then great, but I know that's not how it works.

I also have a Mac and I'm sure it integrates much better with iPhones than an android phone.

that said, I have never owned a droid so I have no idea what it's all about. I might love it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Game of Thrones

Just kidding. Well sorta. Maybe it's just me but it seems a lot of premium content services get released for iOS first and this is definitely one factor for why I own at least one iOS device.

My daily drivers are the iPhone 6 + iPad 4/Air. However, I've also got plenty of Android devices. Unfortunately, neither platform is perfect. iOS works easiest for my daily usage given everyone in my immediate family is on iOS. iMessage, FaceTime, SMS and iPhone forwarding makes communicating convenient even when my iPhone is buried deep in the depths of my handbag. When I wish to play with emulators, etc, I switch to Android. :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I started with Android. After rooting to get barely acceptable battery life (Droid 1) and removing the gigs of adware (HTC Thunderbolt) I went iPhone (4s). Loved the simplicity, the fact that I could use my phone without it getting in the way... The camera blew everything away... but before too long after having an iPhone 5 - Android enticed me with a Moto X and a Note 3. After again being frustrated with adware, terrible battery life, crappy build quality, I'm back on an iPhone 6+ and probably here to stay. Love being able to just use my phone, have INSANE standby battery life (without needing to root to an ASOP rom), and A+ build quality.

Maybe I'm getting old but I just don't have the energy or the time to root every few days - spending hours and hours to perfect a device (Android). I love Google and use all their services. But Android just isn't there yet. Note 4 looks enticing but I think I'm here to stay with iPhone. At least for now. :)

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Apps basically. Safari is better than Chrome, Mail is better than the stock mail clients on Android. I use Aqua Mail which is very good, comes with every option you could want, but you have to pay for it. Same with app icon badges. Also, lock screen notifications are better on iOS, and things like Activator and Tage simply don't exist on Android. With that said, I really like my Z1 compact with its killer battery life and unlike some, I also like Lollipop quite a bit better than Kitkat.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I stay with iPhone because it's the most effortless and most consistent smartphone on the market. And it has a huge ecosystem and support network.

I try other platforms because I'm a technology enthusiast who likes to try out new toys and platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.