Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All six Star Wars movies will be available digitally for the first time this Friday, April 10 on iTunes and other digital stores, Disney, Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox have announced. The movies will be available to purchase separately and as a collection, and come with two never-before-seen special features.

star-wars-the-digital-movie-collection.jpg
"We're thrilled that fans will be able to enjoy the Star Wars saga on their digital devices wherever they go," commented Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "These films broke new ground in technology, design, sound, and visual effects, and we've created some very special bonus material which delves into the saga's rich history, including new and never-before-released conversations between legendary Star Wars artists -- the masters who helped George bring his iconic universe to life."
The new special features are broken into two new categories. The first is titled "Conversations", which has key members of the cast and crew talking about the productions of all the films. The second is titled "Star Wars: Discoveries From Inside", which features new looks at the making of the movies, from models and miniatures to costume design.

The full list of bonus features can be found at the Star Wars website. The versions included in The Digital Movie Collection are not the original theatrical versions of the films, and are instead the altered versions found in the Blu-Ray editions of the movies. Additionally, the New York Times reports they will not be available for rent.

All six Star Wars movies are currently available for pre-order on iTunes for $19.99 each, however it is currently unclear if there's special pricing for the entire collection. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection' Coming to iTunes Friday, April 10

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Yuck at the price. THE BLURAYS ARE CHEAPER!

Yuck at it being the Special Edition crap.

Yuck that Vudu has it for 89.99 and works with Disney Anywhere.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
FINALLY.

Been waiting for this to release forever. But as of right now, the digital collection bundle is currently missing on the iTunes Store for me.

I'd really like to know the price of the bundle though. $120 for all six movies separately sucks.

Can't wait. This is a day one buy for me.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Amazon has it priced at 99.99. Good possibility that iTunes sells it at the same price. $100 is a bit steep. Not sure this will be a day one buy for me. Maybe if I can get some iTunes gift cards on sale, I'll go for it since I don't own the blu-ray version.

Any chance they release the blu-ray with the digital copies?

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Amazon has it priced at 99.99. Good possibility that iTunes sells it at the same price. $100 is a bit steep. Not sure this will be a day one buy for me. Maybe if I can get some iTunes gift cards on sale, I'll go for it since I don't own the blu-ray version.

Any chance they release the blu-ray with the digital copies?

Just buy the Blurays. Superior quality, the ability to watch in 24hz...

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So long overdue!!! I've been waiting to add this to my collection and the iTunes extras are a nice bonus.

----------

How many times can people seriously watch Star Wars ?!!
I mean , really !
There's so much good stuff out there. Why waste all your time?
Google "Criterian Collection" - Awesome stuff.

As many times as they show it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
"All six Star Wars movies will be available digitally for the first time..."

DVD is digital.

Bluray is digital.

WHY are people using "available on digital" to mean "available to download"? Why not just say "Available for download"?

Maybe I'm a bit OCD but this misuse of the word "digital" drives me nuts!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
WHY are people using "available on digital" to mean "available to download"? Why not just say "Available for download"?

I would upvote you 32 times if I could!

Let me know when the original theatrical releases are available.

Hopefully they'll finally get a release now that most of them are in Disney's hands. Apparently some of the negatives have been re-scanned, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be released.

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
Sorry, but no thanks. I want nothing to do with these digital downloads which are the exact same as the blu-ray versions. If it was the same as the Special Edition DVD versions, I would be game. Sorry, but adding a totally lame "Noooo" to Darth Vader's scene when saving Luke from the Emperor was the straw that broke the camel's back. It used to be an epic scene but they went and ruined it.

It might seem nit picky for some but I can't give money to that.

fivetoedbear

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Yeah, but I will still covet the DVDs of the original theatrical releases that I got as bonuses in a box set so long ago. They were created from the laserdisc masters. And bonuses? The original versions were the main event to me. George, when somebody 14 years old is blown away by your work, you let them see it that way forever.

That was the Nth time I bought videos of Star Wars. I have 2 or 3 Even! Better! This! Time! VHS releases as well.

Not thinking I want the Lucasified versions.

And as to Criterion Collection, when I got my HD TV last summer, I said I wasn't buying more physical media, but oh, look, restored versions of A Hard Day's Night, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World roadshow edition. And the My Neighbor Totoro Blu-Ray release was just beautiful.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
It's $100 for the entire collection on Xbox. They also throw in Star Wars Pinball if you pre-order.

For those who want the original versions. This is as close as you're gonna get.
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I already have all three films in their authentic virgin state from the laserdisc bonus files.

Unless you can offer something better than that, I can be happy with 720p forever. Hopefully Disney has more sense than Lucas and puts an end to four decades of trashing the legacy of three of the best sci fi films ever made.

Just make it right already Disney.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Is there a special version that has all of the scenes with jar jar binks removed? I'd pay a premium for those.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
"All six Star Wars movies will be available digitally for the first time..."

DVD is digital.

Bluray is digital.

Well to be pedantic about it, I don't "download" any of my purchased iTunes movies or TV shows to any of my devices. Not a single one.

But I also understand what you're saying too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.