Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has issued an internal memo to retail employees that encourages store staff to direct customers to the Apple Online Store to purchase the Apple Watch and new MacBook, according to Business Insider. Ahrendts says that this is "a significant change in mindset" for Apple, noting that the long lines that typically form on Apple product launch days "are over" at retail stores.
"Get in line online

The days of waiting in line and crossing fingers for a product are over for our customers. The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. Customers will know exactly when and where their product arrives.

This is a significant change in mindset, and we need your help to make it happen. Tell your customers we have more availability online, and show them how easy it is to order. You'll make their day."
Apple previously outlined changes to its so-called "Customer Journey" in leaked training documents obtained by MacRumors last month, emphasizing that retail employees will be focused on "reducing wait times and physical lines" and ensuring that customers get the Apple Watch that is best for them.

Customer-Journey-Apple-Watch.png
One way Apple will limit in-store waiting times for the Apple Watch is by requiring reservations for pickup at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, although Business Insider notes that in-store pickup will not be available whatsoever to U.K. customers at launch. U.S. customers will be able to reserve for pickup, although stock will likely be tight compared to online availability.

Apple Stores will have limited in-store supply of the Apple Watch when the wrist-worn device goes on sale April 24. Apple will begin accepting online pre-orders for the Apple Watch on April 10, the same day try-on appointments will be available for customers, in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. Read how to pre-order the Apple Watch and what to expect at a try-on appointment for useful info ahead of time.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts: 'The Days of Waiting in Line' at Apple Stores Are Over

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I think some actually prefer to wait in line, it’s all part of the experience. Maybe this is specifically for the Watch and MacBook for now but she needs to make sure the shopping experience doesn’t diminish.
It’s a delicate balance.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
There's no doubt a very good reason behind her thought process but to me this seems odd.

Isn't the hype surrounding a new Apple product and loads of people waiting in line great exposure for Apple?!

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Aren't the lines kinda like a cult following? People wait for days and love it! It's like a badge of honor. Not to mention that anyone who is interested in an apple product on launch day knows full well that they are available online.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
For most of those people in line, it's as much about the journey as it is the 'destination' of getting that end product. I hope they don't start discouraging the lines.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I think the lines were good publicity at one point but those days seem to be long gone. I think the iPhone 6 launch killed it.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
So a person shows up at an Apple Store, excited to get their hands on the latest product. An employee tells them to go home and order online instead. How does this make the customer happy?

Feels like a speech from 1999 to me.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I still walked in on iPhone 6 release day at 2pm and walked out with a white 64gb 6+ with no problem.

Got it before all the poor bastards waiting through the night in the states, too.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I think some actually prefer to wait in line, it’s all part of the experience. Maybe this is specifically for the Watch and MacBook for now but she needs to make sure the shopping experience doesn’t diminish.
It’s a delicate balance.

My thoughts exactly.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
No instore pickup for the UK, well thats no surprise, 6 months on and we are still waiting for Apple Pay..

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I think the lines were good publicity at one point but those days seem to be long gone. I think the iPhone 6 launch killed it.

The lines of good natured Apple fans who wanted to own the product and displayed a friendly, 'we're in this together' attitude, were good things, sadly, it's now lines of scalpers pushing and shoving, being threatening and swallowing up as much stock as they can to turn a quick profit thats ruined it.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
The scalpers and the extreme obsessives at the front of these queues, far from enhancing the brand of Apple, have helped to tarnish it. They don't want that anymore. That's my guess.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
So a person shows up at an Apple Store, excited to get their hands on the latest product. An employee tells them to go home and order online instead. How does this make the customer happy?

Feels like a speech from 1999 to me.

I think its more like queuing at a theme park, you can get a buzzer that tells you when to go to the ride or you can queue up. Except that one you are guaranteed to get on the ride and the other someone will come along and say your getting on, you too, going along the line until, oops all sold out, the rest of you can go home now.

It also helps with the many variations. It would be hard to work out in a line how many of each are remaining.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
The lines are over because I can order it online and have it delivered on release day....or it's because they no longer have anything that wows anyone anymore. A new iphone with a slightly better camera, processor, screen. A new mac with fewer ports and thinner. A new ipad with the same processor but now with touchID.:confused:

Oh the only one in lines are the resellers

Lushchicken

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
So just to make sure that I am reading this correctly: There is no way you will be able to pick up an Apple Watch in a UK store on the 24th. Not through reservations, nor pre-orders.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But....I thought Apple purposely created lines and product shortages to create hype and generate PR?

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I agree with her, in this day and age, standing in line for anything you can get online is kind of ridiculous. You get it when you get it, and you can go on with your life. I stopped standing in apple lines when I got a real job

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
It seems they are missing the actual problem. Its the warranty an genius lines that are long, and also the people purchasing product and need help setting it up.

Its not the fact that people are being turned away from buying something due to wait times.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Waiting in line for hours is in itself the "experience" Apple fans love. I had been to a couple of product launches and have experienced the line and the euphoria that happens after.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I agree with her, in this day and age, standing in line for anything you can get online is kind of ridiculous. You get it when you get it, and you can go on with your life. I stopped standing in apple lines when I got a real job

Looking at your sig, you stopped buying from Apple around the same time ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
We knew changes were coming when Apple decided to stop reporting retail stand alone and instead include it within regional reporting. If some of these changes can alleviate over crowded stores then that's a good thing. Also I think the coolness of lines outside stores on product launch day is kind of over anyway. Been there done that lets do something different.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So just to make sure that I am reading this correctly: There is no way you will be able to pick up an Apple Watch in a UK store on the 24th. Not through reservations, nor pre-orders.

Yeah...

This seems a pretty bad system. What happens if you're working that day and can't get it delivered there? They either have absolutely no stock at all for this launch and are woefully underprepared, or just fancy annoying a lot of their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.