Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Watch.png
Apple Watch reservations for in-store pickup will be limited to one per customer through Apple's Reserve and Pickup service, MacRumors has learned. Customers in the United States and other launch countries will be required to present a valid government-issued photo ID upon pickup at the Apple Store where they placed their Apple Watch reservation, and only the person named on the reservation will be allowed to pick up the product.
"Inventory is subject to change. Your reservation is valid for pickup only at the Apple Retail Store that you selected. If you do not pick up your selected item(s) by the designated date and time, your reservation will be cancelled and your item(s) will be returned to stock. There is a maximum of 1 reservation per customer. Number of reservations may be limited. Apple reserves the right to refuse, limit or cancel a reservation if Apple determines that a customer has provided misleading or fraudulent information and/or abused, disrupted or attempted to circumvent the reservation system."
Apple's one-per-customer reservation limit has been confirmed to be in place in the United States and United Kingdom, and likely other launch countries, but it's worth noting that the company's plans could change between now and the Apple Watch launch. Apple was originally planning to allow two reservations per customer as recently as March, according to sources, but is now allowing one per customer as stock is expected to be limited. MacRumors can also confirm recent reports claiming the Apple Watch Edition will be offered at select Apple Stores only.

The limit does not apply to online pre-orders that will be shipped to home beginning April 24, although it is possible that Apple will also restrict online orders to one or two Apple Watch models per customer as it has done for Personal Pickup with the iPhone, iPad and other products in the past. Apple will not be allowing walk-in purchases of the Apple Watch without a reservation, according to leaked Apple Store training documents obtained by MacRumors last month.

Apple Watch pre-orders begin April 10, and the wrist-worn device goes on sale April 24 in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. Apple Watch starts at $349 for the entry-level Sport model, while the stainless steel model costs between $549 and $1,099, and the gold edition starts at $10,000. Try-on appointments will be available at Apple Stores and select fashion boutiques beginning April 10.

Article Link: Apple Watch Reservations Will Be Limited to One Per Customer

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Makes sense to me. Time to stop those scalpers in their tracks. I remember all those iPad 3 scalpers returning them back because their evil plan back fired on them. Good for Apple.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Now this pisses me off! I was going to buy two stainless steel models and surprise my fiancée with one as a wedding gift. Now I'll need to wake her up at 12:am and have her purchase it (with the money I give her of course) This is so stupid.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Customers in the United States and other launch countries will be required to present a valid government-issued photo ID upon pickup at the Apple Store where they placed their Apple Watch reservation, and only the person named on the reservation will be allowed to pick up the product.

Are you sure this isn't only for US customers? You said "in-store pickup will not be available whatsoever to U.K. customers at launch" in this article. :confused:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
One of the big points of the Apple Watch is how you can send heartbeats and other more intimate communications with your partner. How are you supposed to do that when you can only get one? I myself wasn't seriously considering getting an Apple Watch, but my wife thinks she wants one, and some of those special features were almost enough to "justify" me getting one too. But this kills that.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I never understood why any retailer LIMITs what you can buy. It defeats all logic.

It doesn't though because it stops scalpers buying up the product and selling for more which is not good business for Apple.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Now this pisses me off! I was going to buy two stainless steel models and surprise my fiancée with one as a wedding gift. Now I'll need to wake her up at 12:am and have her purchase it (with the money I give her of course) This is so stupid.

You could just buy yours later.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I think one should be sufficient for most customers. You can always buy more later.

I'm looking at the stainless steel 42 mm in space grey with stainless steel space grey link bracelet :cool:

patrickcwelsh

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2015
Atlantic City, NJ

You COULD surprise her with one, then have her come with you to get yours later. Depends on how much you love your fiancée, I guess.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I never understood why any retailer LIMITs what you can buy. It defeats all logic.

Control the narrative... either:

Sell out with 3 million people walking around with their new :apple:Watch being brand ambassadors, therefore fueling the hype.

or

Sell out with only 1.5 million wearing the :apple:Watch and the rest on Ebay with huge markups, therefore changing the narrative to scalping and what Apple should do to fix it and how now only the rich can afford one due to said markups.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
It doesn't though because it stops scalpers buying up the product and selling for more which is not good business for Apple.

It doesn't stop them at all. That's why you see them in line with 10 other "family members" all buying two each. This might slow them down,but not stop by any means. This however does make things more difficult for me. I was planning on surprising my fiancée with one as a wedding gift. Now I'll have to have her or a friend purchase it. ....just another hurdle I suppose.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
My big question: what if it's not in store pickup? What if I just want to order online and buy 2 apple watches? Me and my girlfriend want one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.