Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megaman90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Hi I have lots of TV box sets in both blu-ray and DVDs. Also have lots of movies in those formats and plan to purchase more. I decided I want to make digital copies of them but have a few questions as this will be a new project for me that I plan to work on over time. My first question what is the cheapest external bluray drive to buy? What is the best software to use I know about MakeMKV and Handbrake. Please tell me what settings to use, I plan to put these files on a server with plex (maybe a Mac Mini) and would like the best settings for being played on a 45"-55" TV. I won't be using an Apple TV. Also would like to keep file size decent but keep quality intact. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014 base model and iMac 21" Mid 2011 base model with 12gb ram. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi I have lots of TV box sets in both blu-ray and DVDs. Also have lots of movies in those formats and plan to purchase more. I decided I want to make digital copies of them but have a few questions as this will be a new project for me that I plan to work on over time. My first question what is the cheapest external bluray drive to buy? What is the best software to use I know about MakeMKV and Handbrake. Please tell me what settings to use, I plan to put these files on a server with plex (maybe a Mac Mini) and would like the best settings for being played on a 45"-55" TV. I won't be using an Apple TV. Also would like to keep file size decent but keep quality intact. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014 base model and iMac 21" Mid 2011 base model with 12gb ram. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated.
If you are using Plex keep your files as mkv's, drive space is cheap. Ripping only to mkv is fast and retains full quality. You cannot reduce file size using HB and retain full quality (you can get close though). Also, the time spent transcoding needs to be considered. I ripped lot's of dvd and BR's and transcoded them using HB. If I were in your shoes, not needed the mp4 container, I would not do it.

Also, think about your losing HD audio transcoding mp4.

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
If you are using Plex keep your files as mkv's, drive space is cheap. Ripping only to mkv is fast and retains full quality. You cannot reduce file size using HB and retain full quality (you can get close though). Also, the time spent transcoding needs to be considered. I ripped lot's of dvd and BR's and transcoded them using HB. If I were in your shoes, not needed the mp4 container, I would not do it.

Also, think about your losing HD audio transcoding mp4.

excellent advice. Thanks for sharing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.