Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 8.3, the third major update to iOS 8. Seeded to developers in February and to public beta testers in mid-March, iOS 8.3 brings several new features and design tweaks to the operating system.

iOS 8.3 is available immediately as an over-the-air download. Xcode 6.3 is also available, as is a 7.2 update for the Apple TV and a 1.2 update for Swift, Apple's programming language.

iOS 8.3 has a heavy focus on emoji improvements, bringing an updated emoji picker that organizes emoji into categories in an easily scrollable list, new diversified emoji with expanded family options, and emoji skin tone modifiers for changing the look of people emoji. There are also several new flags and updated phone, computer, and watch emoji that now resemble the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch.

Emoji-iOS-8.3-Beta-4.jpg
Other iOS 8.3 changes include wireless CarPlay, letting users connect their iPhones to their CarPlay systems sans Lightning cable, support for Google two-factor authentication that makes it possible to add Google accounts without the need for app specific passwords, and Apple Pay support for the China UnionPay network. On the iPhone 6 Plus, in landscape mode, there's now a bold/italics/underline key for formatting text. Previously, the key only allowed for bolding.

iphone6pluskeyboard-800x213.jpg
There are also minor changes to Passbook (dividing Apple Pay and Passes) and the Photos app (icon overlays for albums). Siri has gained new languages plus the ability to make calls using the iPhone's speakerphone, and in Messages, there's now an option to enable filtering to separate iMessages from friends from iMessages from Unknown Senders.

iOS-8.3-Keyboard.png
One of smaller but most notable UI changes includes an update to the space bar, which has been elongated to prevent users from hitting the period key in Safari when attempting to make a space. It's also now possible to turn on a setting to allow you to download free apps without the need to enter your password. We have a full list of the changes in iOS 8.3 in our iOS 8 Features Roundup.

ios83beta3passwordsettings.jpg
iOS 8.3 also has a very long list of bug fixes, which we've added in below. There are multiple fixes to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, orientation, messages, and more.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8.3 With Emoji Updates, Wireless CarPlay, Space Bar UI Fix

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I just realized that 8.3 backwards is 3.8 which is a completely arbitrary observation that means absolutely nothing at all.

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
wow, busy day for the apple folk. updating everything tonight, hopefully it doesn't kill or slow down my ancient iphone 5,holding out for the 6s.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Easily the best iOS 8 version yet. Now we only need a jailbreak. :D

Xcode 6.3 final should drop later in the day too.

DrFix

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
I can still only see iOS 8.2. Since I am a developer I logged in to my account and what I can only see there is an option to download iOS 8.2 and iOS 8.3 beta 4

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
I can still only see iOS 8.2. Since I am a developer I logged in to my account and what I can only see there is an option to download iOS 8.2 and iOS 8.3 beta 4

Ditto. I usually update via Developer center, download the IPSW's I need and save the GM's just in case. Nada.

Don't like over-the-air updates, especially as the take up room to download and install. Much easier/quicker plugging in via iTunes.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
How come my emoji picker for the person only shows blond hair, how do I get it to show black hair?

joselc23

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
I installed the 8.3 public beta, when checking for updates 8.3 shows up. When I try to download it says software update failed, an error occurred downloading iOS 8.3.

Got the Shakes

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Anyone in the public beta having trouble updating? The update downloaded fine to my iPad (never went about downloading the beta on it), but it errors out trying to download on my iPhone (currently in the 8.3 beta).

jamesgunaca

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Ha! I was right! They did release 10.10.3 and 8.3 together.

Good, now we can all use them new emojis.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
This is what iOS 8 should've been from what I've been reading and watching. A very welcome update!

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Here's to hoping there are tons of jb exploits!

----------

Anyone in the public beta having trouble updating? The update downloaded fine to my iPad (never went about downloading the beta on it), but it errors out trying to download on my iPhone (currently in the 8.3 beta).

I suggest using itunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.