Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harilocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
hi,
i would like to know: macbook air(2015)vs macbook pro retina(2014) [both 13" with i5 processor].
which would be a better buy?

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
air(2015) vs pro(2014)

hi,

i would like to know: macbook air(2015)vs macbook pro retina(2014) [both 13" with i5 processor].

It depends on a lot of factors. What will you use it for?The only thing the rMBP has over the Air is the retina display IMO. The rMBP is faster but, not by a large margin. And the MacBook Air's design and screen is getting a bit outdated now.

Last edited:

SE43

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
It depends on what you want it for. But the Retina displays on the Pro's are absolutely gorgeous. So I'd go Pro.

NOT-A-FANBOY

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
I do not recommend the current Air and people in the tech industry agree.
It's not a bad computer on it's own, but it is lacking compared to the rMBP - especially the screen is really dated on the Air. If you upgrade the 2015 13" Air to 8GB Ram (which you probably should), it's nearly the same price as a rMBP. No brainer imo.

harilocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
i need it for:
1.basic app developement
2.web design
3.taking it with me without charging too often

more importantly i want to know if the new air with its upggrades is better than pro 2014 in any aspects

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
i need it for:

1.basic app developement

2.web design

more importantly i want to know if the new air with its upggrades is better than pro 2014 in any aspects

If you want the best battery life then you're going to have to go with a MacBook Air. The Retina MacBook Pro's battery is good however, the Air's battery life is still better. The new Air has a faster SSD, and that's about it really. The processor increase is pretty negligible, it's faster than the Air, but not dramatically so.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
i need it for:
1.basic app developement
2.web design

no upgrades needed. For your usage, the base macbook air will work great.

Think about it:
You have a great portable allround macbook with amazing battery life for much less $$$.
The only downside is the screen, but I use different retina and non retina screens all the time and once I concentrate on my work, I do not notice the difference anymore.

Once you outgrow or brake your mba, buy whatever you want then.
In the meantime you saved money and were a happy customer :)

harilocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions.

will be deciding and purchasing it by this month end.

will let you all know.
thank you

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
It depends on a lot of factors. What will you use it for?The only thing the rMBP has over the Air is the retina display IMO. The rMBP is faster but, not by a large margin. And the MacBook Air's design and screen is getting a bit outdated now.

No it also has twice the ram so is further future proof.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
hi,

I just went from a 2013 MBA to a 2015 rMBP. So my only comment here is about the screen difference.

Wowza.

Worth. Every. Single. Penny.

harilocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I decided to purchase the macbook pro retina(2015):D.
But when i went to the shop the model number for the 13" i5 2.7 was
MF839HN/A.
and on everymac.com i found it to be MF839LL?
should i be worried.
or does this vary in different countries?
please let me know asap

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm assuming you are in india

I decided to purchase the macbook pro retina(2015):D.
But when i went to the shop the model number for the 13" i5 2.7 was
MF839HN/A.
and on everymac.com i found it to be MF839LL?
should i be worried.
or does this vary in different countries?
please let me know asap

If you put that number into google it brings up the latest rMBP (early 2015) on india only websites. You could have just googled that though.

harilocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
haha ya after i posted i found it was the india only version.
well thanks for the help that made me go for the pro.:D

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, you won't regret your decision. After about a week of typing on my new 2015 rMBP, I can't even look at normal displays anymore. It's just so crisp. I'm actually considering buying a 4K UHD monitor for my Mac Pro now.

eurosteve

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
I chose the rMBP (mid-2014) over the MBA because the price was very similar and the rMBP is clearly a better machine. It weighs 0.5 lbs more. And it has a somewhat shorter battery life. I don't think the average user is going to notice the difference in SSD speeds with the 2015. The 2014 rMBP SSD is super zippy. The retina screen is very nice. It seems like 8 gb ram is the minimum anyone should get (in terms of future proofing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.