Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm not really understanding what is going here.

I am trying to figure out the new Photos app. Right now I do NOT have iCloud Photo Library turned on, but I do have My Photo Stream.

In the Photos app, I can see My Photo Stream.
I can drag an image from My Photo Stream to an album.
However, when I delete the photo in My Photo Stream, it removes it from the album?!?!

This wasn't how it worked in Aperture.

Any ideas?

-Kevin

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So unless I'm missing something....there is NO way to import a photo from your My Photo Stream into your local Photos library.

Seems odd?!?

I have a 350GB Aperture library and I don't intend to use iCloud Photo Library.....so the easiest way for me to get photos locally was to use Photo Stream.

-Kevin

----------

So it looks like in Photos, it automatically adds any photos from My Photos Stream to the local library.

- If I delete the photo from My Photo Stream in Photos, it's gone everywhere.

- If I delete the photo from My Photo Stream in Aperture, the photo in Photos is removed from the Photo Stream, but remains in the other albums.

- If I delete the photo from My Photo Stream on a device like an iPad that isn't using iCloud Photo Library, then it's removed from photo stream but remains in other albums.

Not sure what good this is if there is no way to save locally photo stream photos.

-Kevin

Last edited:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
This sounds like a big flaw. Can you export your photo stream to a folder and then reimport?

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
Also, the monthly grouping of imports from photo stream seems to be gone.
I liked how it made a new event for each month and automatically imported the photos....anyone find that?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that is odd. I don't have iCloud Photo enabled either but when I delete pics from the Photostream on my mac they remain in the "all photos" list

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This bug has been there since beta 1 and it’s been reported several times, to no avail it seems.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So another "bug" I've found that I see other people have is, sometimes you have to go into the Preferences to get the Photo Stream album to appear by toggling Photo Stream on and off.

This sounds like a big flaw. Can you export your photo stream to a folder and then reimport?

Yes, I can export and reimport. But what's weird is....it reimports back into Photo Stream!!! Seems this is default behavior of Photo Stream where any imports get auto added! Are you kidding me Apple?!?

that is odd. I don't have iCloud Photo enabled either but when I delete pics from the Photostream on my mac they remain in the "all photos" list

Definatley not what I'm seeing here. When I remove a photo from photo stream, it's gone everywhere.

This bug has been there since beta 1 and it’s been reported several times, to no avail it seems.

Oh goody. I see Apple is laser focused on their damn iCloud Library and forgetting people have large libraries. Guess it's off to Lightroom for me.

-Kevin

andrunious

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
anything yet? my issue with new photos app is my photo stream pictures stopped uploading to mac osx...

running 8.3 ios
10.10.3 on mac osx

icloud library not enabled
photo stream updates fine from iphone to ipad but not osx?

wmmfcr

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Same thing here. Since upgrading both iPhones, iPad, and two OS X systems, new pictures taken with phones will appear on each iOS device's PhotoStream, but not in Photos.app, either in Photostream or in "All Photos".

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

IndyBob

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Indianapolis
Same thing here. Since upgrading both iPhones, iPad, and two OS X systems, new pictures taken with phones will appear on each iOS device's PhotoStream, but not in Photos.app, either in Photostream or in "All Photos".

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem. Pictures taken on the iPhone 6+ and/or iPad Air show up on the IOS devices but not on my iMac.

IndyBob

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Indianapolis
I have the same problem. Pictures taken on the iPhone 6+ and/or iPad Air show up on the IOS devices but not on my iMac.

Mine are showing up now. I think it was waiting while all my photos on the iMac were uploaded. As soon as it finished them my recent photos appeared that were taken on iPhone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
From what I can tell, anything that goes to your Photostream is imported automatically into your library.

That's it.

The only strange thing is that deleting a photo from "My Photostream" will also delete it from the library. I strongly believe it shouldn't; the Photostream has always been just a temporary online storage location and deleting photos from there should never cause the main library to be touched.

I wonder if it's a (very bad) bug.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
From what I can tell, anything that goes to your Photostream is imported automatically into your library.

That's it.

The only strange thing is that deleting a photo from "My Photostream" will also delete it from the library. I strongly believe it shouldn't; the Photostream has always been just a temporary online storage location and deleting photos from there should never cause the main library to be touched.

I wonder if it's a (very bad) bug.

I agree.....and hope that it's a bug because at this point they are making Photo Stream act like iCloud Photo Library.

If you delete a photo from Photo Stream on say your iPhone....it's NOT removed from the local library on Photos.

Also, I can't believe they removed the option to NOT upload any imported photos to Photo Stream. Now, if you plug in a point and shoot and import 150 pictures....they are all getting uploaded to Photo Stream.

-Kevin

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Also, I can't believe they removed the option to NOT upload any imported photos to Photo Stream. Now, if you plug in a point and shoot and import 150 pictures....they are all getting uploaded to Photo Stream.

-Kevin

I actually like this feature, as it lets photos I just imported show up on my iPad and other devices so I can show them off.

BUT I agree that you should be able to turn this off.

wmmfcr

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Like IndyBob, my iPhone photos are also finally starting to show up. It's weird that it took a couple of days, though. The only thing is that they show in Photostream and in "Photos," but not in "All Photos."

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Any update on this? I do not want to delete pictures from library when I delete them from photo stream

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.