Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Okay, here we go again. Can someone explain how Photostream works with the new Photos app? I don't think I want upload my entire photo library, as I don't really have the need to access everything on all of my devices. BUT, if Photostream will just auto import all photos that I take on my phone into the new Photos app, so that I have a copy on my Mac Mini, and I can regularly delete the photos off my iPhone for space reasons, I'd be happy. If this is confusing, I'm sorry, but Photostream has always been messy in my mind.

Reactions: DanSkeel

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
as far as i can tell those images stay in two separated places on Photo like if you delete them from the Photostream you still got them on "all photos". its a bit messy if you forget to delete random images every once in a while cuz literally every screenshot or whatever gets auto downloaded and put in the "all photo" category and not just the photostream

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Okay, here we go again. Can someone explain how Photostream works with the new Photos app? I don't think I want upload my entire photo library, as I don't really have the need to access everything on all of my devices. BUT, if Photostream will just auto import all photos that I take on my phone into the new Photos app, so that I have a copy on my Mac Mini, and I can regularly delete the photos off my iPhone for space reasons, I'd be happy. If this is confusing, I'm sorry, but Photostream has always been messy in my mind.

Might want to see my thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1863706/

I'm showing that Photostream in the new photos app doesn't work like in iPhoto or Aperture. If you remove a photo from Photo Stream in the Photos app, it removes it from all albums.

Quite pointless if you ask me.

-Kevin

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Might want to see my thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1863706/

I'm showing that Photostream in the new photos app doesn't work like in iPhoto or Aperture. If you remove a photo from Photo Stream in the Photos app, it removes it from all albums.

Quite pointless if you ask me.

-Kevin

Okay, that is sort of pointless. They should just kill Photo Stream. Honestly, last night I decided to avoid the confusion all together, and just upgraded my iCloud storage to the 200 gig mark. The cloud syncing is already working so much better for me than Photo Stream ever did, I'll just pay the 4 bucks a month. Very happy with Photos so far.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
It seems like photostream still exists so devices without iOS 8 can still be used to upload pics to the iCloud. So that old iPod can still work with iCloud photo.

It's kind of cool that they thought of that.

They probably don't want iCloud to be used for archive purposes, just to synch between various devices.

If that is true it makes sense they would want to encourage people to be responsible for people turning off and on pics in various devices. All on or all off is much simpler for them. Less things to screw up the stream.

for me I have to find a real mac program meant for photo archives, that can also export to the apple photo library.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Not only is there no way to import Photo Stream photos into the local library and delete them from Photo Stream on the Mac.....but ANY imports into Photos will upload them to Photo Stream!!!

-Kevin

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Okay, here we go again. Can someone explain how Photostream works with the new Photos app?

It seems like Photostream works exactly how it used to, except for a few changes.

1. It is now called "My Photo Stream"
2. The [Month] [Year] Photo Stream event/project that was created in iPhoto/Aperture (respectively) doesn't seem to get created in Photos.app.

As far as I can tell, you can continue using My Photo Stream. It seems like you can use iCloud Photo Sharing (with Shared Albums) to accomplish most of what you would get from iCloud Photo Library. The biggest difference seems to simply be that edits will not sync between devices.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
It seems like Photostream works exactly how it used to, except for a few changes.

1. It is now called "My Photo Stream"
2. The [Month] [Year] Photo Stream event/project that was created in iPhoto/Aperture (respectively) doesn't seem to get created in Photos.app.

As far as I can tell, you can continue using My Photo Stream. It seems like you can use iCloud Photo Sharing (with Shared Albums) to accomplish most of what you would get from iCloud Photo Library. The biggest difference seems to simply be that edits will not sync between devices.

Here's the difference,

In iPhoto/Aperture, Photo Stream photos needed to be imported into the local library (either automatically or manually). Once imported there are now 2 copies of the photos (1 in Photo Stream and 1 in Local Library). You can then remove the photo from the Photo Stream and it only removes it from there.

In Photos, it seems it integrates Photo Stream so that photos are automatically shown in the photo lists/albums. There is no option to import a photo to the local library. If you remove a photo from the Photo Stream, it's gone from Photos app.

For importing photos, such as plugging in a Camera, in iPhoto and Aperture you had the option to disable uploading those photos to Photo Stream. In Photos there is no option to not upload imported photos. Anything you import it going to be pushed up to Photo Stream.

-Kevin

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
In Photos, it seems it integrates Photo Stream so that photos are automatically shown in the photo lists/albums. There is no option to import a photo to the local library. If you remove a photo from the Photo Stream, it's gone from Photos app.

I have not found this to be the case. If I delete a photo from My Photo Stream (after I have already opened Photos app on Mac), it is still in the Photos (Moments) section of Photos app.

In Aperture & iPhoto, photos needed to live in Events/Projects. In Photos app, they can simply live in the Photo (Moments) section, and not be in a specific Album. Moreover, the [Month] [Year] Photo Stream events/projects are gone, and there seems to be no equivalent in Albums. So, it's up to you to put your photos in an Album (if you want them there).

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have not found this to be the case. If I delete a photo from My Photo Stream (after I have already opened Photos app on Mac), it is still in the Photos (Moments) section of Photos app.

In Aperture & iPhoto, photos needed to live in Events/Projects. In Photos app, they can simply live in the Photo (Moments) section, and not be in a specific Album. Moreover, the [Month] [Year] Photo Stream events/projects are gone, and there seems to be no equivalent in Albums. So, it's up to you to put your photos in an Album (if you want them there).

Where are you deleting the image in Photo Stream? Within Photos, or somewhere else like a iDevice?

I have 2 installs and it works this way on both if I remove the image from Photo Stream within Photos.

If I remove the photo from Photo Stream from say my iPad, it remains in All Photos.

It seems as if with Photos they default to:
- Auto import
- Auto upload

And if you delete from within Photos, the image is gone.

-Kevin

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Not only is there no way to import Photo Stream photos into the local library and delete them from Photo Stream on the Mac.....but ANY imports into Photos will upload them to Photo Stream!!!

-Kevin

This is why I don't want to update. I'll keep reading here to see if there are any fixed but I suspect it will take another update from apple

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014

-Kevin

Cant you uncheck that option in the settings?

As far as deleting files from the photo stream, you never had that manual control. That was the point of the new photo section in iCloud to give you some control.

Photo stream compatibility seems to be for older devices like iPods and apple tv's. apple tv needs a computer with iTunes running to use smart folders. Im charging the old iPod up to test a few things tomorrow.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Cant you uncheck that option in the settings?

As far as deleting files from the photo stream, you never had that manual control. That was the point of the new photo section in iCloud to give you some control.

Photo stream compatibility seems to be for older devices like iPods and apple tv's. apple tv needs a computer with iTunes running to use smart folders. Im charging the old iPod up to test a few things tomorrow.

In iPhoto and Aperture yes, there was a separate setting to not upload.
In Photos there is no setting....it's just Photo Stream on/off.

In both iPhoto and Aperture I absolutely was able to control it separately from my local library. I understand Photo Stream is legacy, but I have no desire to use iCloud Photo Library. I have 375 GB of photos that I don't need in the cloud.

-Kevin

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Where are you deleting the image in Photo Stream? Within Photos, or somewhere else like a iDevice?

If I delete a photo off of my iPhone, and I have opened up Photos on Mac before deleting it (thus allowing it to load into Photos), then it will still be in Photos for Mac. It pretty much has to be this way to allow people to clear out their Photos in their iPhone (if they aren't using iCloud Photo Library).

----------

In both iPhoto and Aperture I absolutely was able to control it separately from my local library. I understand Photo Stream is legacy, but I have no desire to use iCloud Photo Library. I have 375 GB of photos that I don't need in the cloud.

You don't need to use iCloud Photo Library if you don't want to. But you can still use My Photo Stream (and iCloud Shared Photo Albums).

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
If I delete a photo off of my iPhone, and I have opened up Photos on Mac before deleting it (thus allowing it to load into Photos), then it will still be in Photos for Mac. It pretty much has to be this way to allow people to clear out their Photos in their iPhone (if they aren't using iCloud Photo Library).

I always used Aperture to clear out photos on my devices in Photo Stream. I don't want to sit there on the phone individually tapping 100 photos just to delete them.

Seems if Apple is keeping Photo Stream around for legacy purposes, they should have left it alone.

-Kevin

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I always used Aperture to clear out photos on my devices in Photo Stream. I don't want to sit there on the phone individually tapping 100 photos just to delete them.

Seems if Apple is keeping Photo Stream around for legacy purposes, they should have left it alone.

Right. I see what you're saying. In Photos app on Mac, if you delete photos from My Photo Stream, it deleted them altogether. I can see why you might want to be able to delete them from My Photo Stream without deleting them altogether. That being said, able is blurring the line between where the files are stored on purpose, and I think most people either want to delete a photo or keep it. The purpose of My Photo Stream is a conduit to make sure that your most recent 1000 photos are available on all of your devices and that the photos you take on your iPhone (or iPad) safely get to your Mac.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I personally think photo streams days are numbers. They either need to change its work flow or get rid of it imho.

IMHO they should have made the photo stream a shared album and called it your own private shared album or something of that nature. Then it could be used just like any shared album so people understood they where not deleting a photo but simply it's shared status everywhere etc. that would have been the easiest way to keep photo library and photo stream separate and easily identifiable for everyone.

I have no clue where the actual phot stream photos are on my iOS devices that have the photo library in use. I'm about to just turn off photo stream... I think it's only there for legacy devices as someone else mentioned and no other purpose anymore. And I have a feeling that the new Apple TV will use photo library.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Okay, that is sort of pointless. They should just kill Photo Stream. Honestly, last night I decided to avoid the confusion all together, and just upgraded my iCloud storage to the 200 gig mark. The cloud syncing is already working so much better for me than Photo Stream ever did, I'll just pay the 4 bucks a month. Very happy with Photos so far.

I purchased the same amount of storage in hopes of the same plan but the upload on my devices were gonna take days.

I also would like to do exactly what the op wants to do since plugging in the phone to Mac doesn't import and open iPhoto anymore

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I think it's only there for legacy devices as someone else mentioned and no other purpose anymore. And I have a feeling that the new Apple TV will use photo library.

How does My Photo Stream have no purpose anymore? It is how my photos get from my iPhone to my Mac (which in turn gets those photos backed up to Time Machine & Backblaze). The only way My Photo Stream has no purpose is if 100% of iOS users are using (and probably paying for) iCloud Photo Library.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
How does My Photo Stream have no purpose anymore? It is how my photos get from my iPhone to my Mac (which in turn gets those photos backed up to Time Machine & Backblaze). The only way My Photo Stream has no purpose is if 100% of iOS users are using (and probably paying for) iCloud Photo Library.

Right. And if photos are deleted from all devices if deleted from Photo Stream (or whatever it's called in the latest update), then it looks like that's another way Apple is trying to get people to pay for cloud storage. (With iPhoto and Photo Stream, I could take 200 pictures on my iPhone, use Photo Stream to get them imported to iPhoto, and then delete them from Photo Stream to recoup the space in the free/default 5GB iCloud account. But now, it looks like all pictures need to be kept in Photo Stream until the 30 days (?) elapse, or else they get deleted from the Photos app and all other devices. That seems both dumb and lame.)

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Right. And if photos are deleted from all devices if deleted from Photo Stream (or whatever it's called in the latest update), then it looks like that's another way Apple is trying to get people to pay for cloud storage. (With iPhoto and Photo Stream, I could take 200 pictures on my iPhone, use Photo Stream to get them imported to iPhoto, and then delete them from Photo Stream to recoup the space in the free/default 5GB iCloud account. But now, it looks like all pictures need to be kept in Photo Stream until the 30 days (?) elapse, or else they get deleted from the Photos app and all other devices. That seems both dumb and lame.)

"No. Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream don't count against your iCloud storage." https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

You should have never needed to delete photos from My Photo Stream to recoup space from the free 5gb iCloud. It never used that space. The only good reason to delete a photo from My Photo Stream is if you don't want it any more.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
"No. Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream don't count against your iCloud storage." https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

You should have never needed to delete photos from My Photo Stream to recoup space from the free 5gb iCloud. It never used that space. The only good reason to delete a photo from My Photo Stream is if you don't want it any more.

Thanks; interesting. It seemed like my remaining iCloud storage would be lower whenever I had a lot of pictures in Photo Stream.

jeffbarclay

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015

Agree - don't like the [month][year] feature missing that was a key feature for me in years of photos - anyone find a workaround to get this back? The Smart Albums have lots of features - seems this would be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.