Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a newly updated Siri website, which gives a comprehensive look at the voice assistant built into the company's iOS devices. The site opens with a quick overview of what Siri can do, and then provides users with a list of categories featuring Siri's different abilities: At a Glance, Staying in Touch, Getting Organized, Sports, Entertainment, Out and About, Getting Answers, and Tips and Tricks.

newsirisite1-800x391.jpg
Talk to Siri as you would to a friend and it can help you get things done -- like sending messages, placing calls, or making dinner reservations. You can ask Siri to show you the Orion constellation or to flip a coin. Siri works hands-free, so you can ask it to show you the best route home and what your ETA is while driving. And it's connected to the world, working with Wikipedia, Yelp, Rotten Tomatoes, Shazam, and other online services to get you even more answers. The more you use Siri, the more you'll realize how great it is. And just how much it can do for you.
Each category offers a look at the different commands that Siri can work with. "At a Glance" gives a quick rundown of a random assortment of questions that can be asked, like "When is the sunset in Paris?" and "What movies are playing today?" while other categories offer a more specific selection of available commands.

"Getting Organized," for example," includes commands specific to apps like Calendar and Reminders, such as "What does the rest of my day look like?" and "Remember to pick up dry cleaning next Friday." "Entertainment" includes commands like "Show me the trailer for Boyhood" and "Buy the latest season of Homeland."

Each of the pages offers a look at features many iOS users might not have known Siri was capable of, and they're organized in a compelling grid-like view that's easy to read and outfitted with pictures for visual appeal.

newsirisite2-800x446.jpg
Apple previously had a site that offered information on Siri, but it was just a single page that offered more of an overview of what Siri can do rather than something more specific that drilled down into actual commands. The new Siri site offers a much deeper look at Siri's abilities.

Today's Siri website revamp follows the release of iOS 8.3 that added new Siri languages and the ability to make voice calls over the speakerphone using Siri. Apple has also added new Siri features to several additional countries, making local search, directions, and more available in countries like Brazil, Denmark, India, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, Sweden, Thailand, and Turkey.

Article Link: Apple Launches Comprehensive New Siri Website With Categories, Example Requests

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
all i want is for Siri to accurately understand what Im saying to it. All this other stuff is pointless otherwise.

LosLoco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
If only they'd make a guide to

A) make emojis with danish siri (e.g. When writing messages)

And

B) make it possible to play a song with a name in a different language than the one siri is speaking (very annoying having to try and pronounce a English song name in Danish to see if siri can figure out what I want to hear...)

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Siri just needs connecting to IBM's watson , it would be amazing. Now who has a partnership with IBM.........

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Has anyone ever had Siri correctly understand "Orion constellation"? I always get Orien or O'Ryan and then a web search for that term. I've tried saying it many different ways. It's a bad example to be highlighting when Siri has a hard time getting it right.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Not a bad move. 99% of the time I forget Siri is even on the phone.

Reminds me of Facetime. Another feature I drooled over but have rarely ever used.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
all i want is for Siri to accurately understand what Im saying to it. All this other stuff is pointless otherwise.

Siri has gotten so much better at this. Still can't understand when I ask to play artist Volbeat though, that's probably going to take a long, long time.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Didn't know allot of these. I use hey siri mostly while driving for txting i'm on my way or to have it read a txt that I need the info for to drive. Also love driving and telling siri to get me to a gas station/ post office/ dunkin's or starbucks in an area i do not know.

I've also was able to get siri to tell if there were any targets on the route that apple maps was navigating me.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Has anyone ever had Siri correctly understand "Orion constellation"? I always get Orien or O'Ryan and then a web search for that term. I've tried saying it many different ways. It's a bad example to be highlighting when Siri has a hard time getting it right.

It did that for me once but it understood me the second time.

99483d1e13db6c9da160555ba6b4ee09.jpg

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Talk to Siri as you would to a friend and it can help you get things done -- like sending messages, placing calls, or making dinner reservations.
OK but I don't normally go around ordering my friends to place my calls, make my reservations, or take dictation.

But maybe that's just me.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.