Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
For my first Intel Mac.

MA092LL/A

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221739028493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(MODS…not my auction, I just bought it is all)

I bought a new battery separately.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I own an A1013, 17" PowerBook G4 and before it met it's horrible end the A1139 17" DLSD.

I have always liked the 17" Mac laptops. It is my preference. However, the Aluminum PowerBook style is also my preference. I detest the unibodys.

So, I long ago decided to settle for the middle ground and go Intel when I could, but stay as close to the PB design as I could.

Today, that was the case. I believe God had this waiting for me and today was the right time.

The only issue with this Mac was no battery. $20 for a new battery solved that.

BTW, free shipping on both the Mac and the battery.

P.S. I have in no way abandoned the community. My QS is still my main Mac.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Great find and a great price! I think that's only about $50 or $75 more than I ended up paying for my A1139.

I know you've used the older 17" PBs in the past-I think you'll come to appreciate the screen area(1680x1050) on this one. These have more or less the same screen as the A1139.

One last thing-the T-type Magsafe 1 chargers are no longer made. I've been hoarding them, as I prefer them to the L-shaped ones that you would get if you walked into the Apple store and bought a new one. They don't have the best reputation for durability, though(although the 85W one I'm using at the moment has a pretty substantial cable on it), so just treat it carefully.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I own an A1013, 17" PowerBook G4 and before it met it's horrible end the A1039 17" DLSD.

I have always liked the 17" Mac laptops. It is my preference. However, the Aluminum PowerBook style is also my preference. I detest the unibodys.

So, I long ago decided to settle for the middle ground and go Intel when I could, but stay as close to the PB design as I could.

Today, that was the case.

Cool! It looks great. Just looks funny having the same keyboard and trackpad as a 15" with more real estate. As I said, I am accustomed to seeing "Full Size" laptops with Numaric keypads built into the keyboards when the screen is 17" I am also accustomed to (though annoyed) with 17" Laptops have off-center Trackpads...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Great find and a great price! I think that's only about $50 or $75 more than I ended up paying for my A1139.

I know you've used the older 17" PBs in the past-I think you'll come to appreciate the screen area(1680x1050) on this one. These have more or less the same screen as the A1139.

One last thing-the T-type Magsafe 1 chargers are no longer made. I've been hoarding them, as I prefer them to the L-shaped ones that you would get if you walked into the Apple store and bought a new one. They don't have the best reputation for durability, though(although the 85W one I'm using at the moment has a pretty substantial cable on it), so just treat it carefully.
Yes, I am going to have to adjust my Geektool layout, LOL!

I'm used to it though with my own DLSD so it won't be much of an adjustment.

It actually cost less than what that DLSD cost me so I'm very happy.

----------

Cool! It looks great. Just looks funny having the same keyboard and trackpad as a 15" with more real estate. As I said, I am accustomed to seeing "Full Size" laptops with Numaric keypads built into the keyboards when the screen is 17" I am also accustomed to (though annoyed) with 17" Laptops have off-center Trackpads...
When you realize that you have space for your palms to rest on, the 17s become a joy to use. Just saying. :D

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
For my first Intel Mac.

MA092LL/A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221739028493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(MODS…not my auction, I just bought it is all)

I bought a new battery separately.

Well Done!!! That's so awesome and a beautiful machine. And don't worry about buying an Intel machine and leaving the PPC community. I did it and now I'm back again. I don't think anyone that is a PPC fan is really going anywhere until all of the PPC machines actually die.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Yes, I am going to have to adjust my Geektool layout, LOL!

I'm used to it though with my own DLSD so it won't be much of an adjustment.

It actually cost less than what that DLSD cost me so I'm very happy.

----------

When you realize that you have space for your palms to rest on, the 17s become a joy to use. Just saying. :D

Amen to that! I couldn't agree more. the 17" Windows 7 laptop i had was too unconfortable to USE as a laptop damn thing ran too hot, putting your wrists on the thing to type was like baking your hands in a slow cooker. Just ended up using it as a desktop. from my experience with both using and building 17" laptops that are generally too big and bulky to be considered "Portable" I rarely take my 14" DELL Laptop out of the house because its too bulky with the extended-life battery and external cooling fans i have set for it (My internal fan seems to have died) boy does a C2D get hot when it's on Passive cooling!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well Done!!! That's so awesome and a beautiful machine. And don't worry about buying an Intel machine and leaving the PPC community. I did it and now I'm back again. I don't think anyone that is a PPC fan is really going anywhere until all of the PPC machines actually die.

Do you still have an Intel?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

No Red. I plan on staying. I only went Intel because we are starting to need what that brings. But the rest of my Macs are still PowerPC. Maybe at one point I can even replace the A1013 (with another of course).

----------

Amen to that! I couldn't agree more. the 17" Windows 7 laptop i had was too unconfortable to USE as a laptop damn thing ran too hot, putting your wrists on the thing to type was like baking your hands in a slow cooker. Just ended up using it as a desktop. from my experience with both using and building 17" laptops that are generally too big and bulky to be considered "Portable" I rarely take my 14" DELL Laptop out of the house because its too bulky with the extended-life battery and external cooling fans i have set for it (My internal fan seems to have died) boy does a C2D get hot when it's on Passive cooling!

Well…at one point I was carrying around two 17" PBs so not a real big deal to me. We will find out if the AlMBPs get as hot as the G4 AlBooks too.

I just have a real preference for these Macs. Their size does not bother me at all.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Congrats and welcome to the world of Intel Macs! :D

What's it like running Tiger on Intel? I definitely recommend the upgrade to Snow Leopard. It's a shame it doesn't have a Core 2 Duo or you could upgrade all the way to Yosemite.

No idea. Plan to clone and upgrade once I get it. Just bought it today.

What I am looking forward to though is a truly complete black UI. There are a few options out there.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Do you still have an Intel?

I do but trying to sell it for a reasonable price. I think my iMac is worth at least $1500 considering it has AppleCare, 16GB RAM, a 3TB HDD, and is 27" but so far others disagree with me.

I'm working on acquiring all of the right parts and peripherals for my Quad so that can be my main machine. I found a NVIDIA Quadro on Craigslist but the seller didn't write back to me about that. LAME. Now if I can get my hands on 2 1TB HDDs, 16GB RAM, and a not slightly broken display, then I'll be happy.

I'm hoping to find either a 23" or 30" display. I have a floppy disc drive and a zip drive on the way and apparently one of the parents that I talk to while my kids are in gymnastics is willing to just give me his floppy disc drive and a huge box of discs for free since he was going to trash them anyway.

Now if I can find a Jaz drive somewhere, then that would be even more awesome.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I own an A1013, 17" PowerBook G4 and before it met it's horrible end the A1039 17" DLSD.

Today, that was the case. I believe God had this waiting for me and today was the right time.

P.S. I have in no way abandoned the community. My QS is still my main Mac.

Nice buy, thats a pretty good deal on a new battery. I wouldnt worry about abandonding the community, I personally dont use anymore PPC macs, my main is a 1,1, MacPro, I just like to collect, help out (with what I can), and enjoy others successes. Also, i'd like to say, welcome to the dark side, your thighs will enjoy the coolness.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to intel too... The prices have dropped so much lately. You can get an original white macbook for close $100 now...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to intel too... The prices have dropped so much lately. You can get an original white macbook for close $100 now...

I know someone selling three MacBooks at the $120 mark on here and they are 08s I believe. It is amazing how the world changes in technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.