Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
As some of you know since I aquired my copy of Dreamweaver 8, I am reviving my website. I will have links to software downloads on this site. Is there any PPC software any of you want me to include?
So Far I have:
The entire Adobe CS2
WeatherBug Alert Mac (Download on weatherbug dead)
xSlimmer 1.8.2 (Full version)
MacTracker Leopard
I also will soon have AppZapper with it's serial available too. Anyone else have something they want added?

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Building Website software ideas?

No offense, but the Dyniform PowerPC archive is doing a great job of legally providing users with software for use on PowerPC macs. Gavin has asked permission from most companies to put their software on his website and plenty of other things to make sure that what he was doing was legal. There is a whole lot more to this than just looking for software and posting it...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
No offense, but the Dyniform PowerPC archive is doing a great job of legally providing users with software for use on PowerPC macs. Gavin has asked permission from most companies to put their software on his website and plenty of other things to make sure that what he was doing was legal. There is a whole lot more to this than just looking for software and posting it...

Weatherbug, Mactracker are freeware and AppZapper is shareware.
You could say my site is a "mirror" for WeatherBug since EarthNetworks took it down from their site. however I also host xSlimmer there too but the Adobe CS2 links are direct to Adobe's Website most all downloads will be linked from their original sources. I am not looking to "compete" with any other website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Weatherbug, Mactracker are freeware and AppZapper is shareware.
You could say my site is a "mirror" for WeatherBug since EarthNetworks took it down from their site. however I also host xSlimmer there too but the Adobe CS2 links are direct to Adobe's Website most all downloads will be linked from their original sources. I am not looking to "compete" with any other website.

While you can host whatever site you want, you are opening yourself up to legal issues unless you follow proper proceedings. For one, linking to CS2 in any way shape or form will likely bring on lawyers that may cost a bit more than a favor to jbarley.

While I appreciate your idea, perhaps you could post some software you wish to be published in the PPC Archive request thread I made the other night.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
We've been through this before...I don't think you can legally do this.

Maybe, Maybe not, but 1, since Adobe has no mechianism in place to determine or verify the person downloading ever HAD a copy than nothing will be done as they cannot prove of disprove ownership. 2. It's my website and I can do what I want with it. Long as the gray areas or serial codes are not provided here on MacRumors they can't do anything either :)

----------

Maybe we'll get lucky, I believe the forum rules state listing commercial software and serials as one of the things that can get you banned.

I am not violating the rules. I am not providing anyone on this forum with those links directly nor am I providing links of any kind nor am I listing the serial numbers..

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Maybe, Maybe not, but 1, since Adobe has no mechianism in place to determine or verify the person downloading ever HAD a copy than nothing will be done as they cannot prove of disprove ownership. 2. It's my website and I can do what I want with it. Long as the gray areas or serial codes are not provided here on MacRumors they can't do anything either :)

----------

I am not violating the rules. I am not providing anyone on this forum with those links directly nor am I providing links of any kind nor am I listing the serial numbers..

You do not know what Adobe does or does not have. They likely have the mechanism but do not implement it because they do not predict everyone and their mother will host a website dedicated to downloading the software. Do what you want on your site and MacRumors and the community will not say a thing. MacRumors is concerned with the community and how they act in the community not what they bother with on their own sites.

That being said, it isn't MacRumors you should be looking out for. You are opening yourself up to legal issues by doing that. DyNiForm is hosting freeware and shareware as well as other software with the permission of the respective owners. You creating a collection and posting to a site does not make it either ethically or legally right and you can be prosecuted for it. I am not trying to discourage you from following your dream here, but I fail to understand why you are willing to put yourself in a compromising situation like that when there is already an established reputable site for PowerPC software, DyNiForm's PowerPC Archive.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
You do not know what Adobe does or does not have. They likely have the mechanism but do not implement it because they do not predict everyone and their mother will host a website dedicated to downloading the software. Do what you want on your site and MacRumors and the community will not say a thing. MacRumors is concerned with the community and how they act in the community not what they bother with on their own sites.

That being said, it isn't MacRumors you should be looking out for. You are opening yourself up to legal issues by doing that. DyNiForm is hosting freeware and shareware as well as other software with the permission of the respective owners. You creating a collection and posting to a site does not make it either ethically or legally right and you can be prosecuted for it. I am not trying to discourage you from following your dream here, but I fail to understand why you are willing to put yourself in a compromising situation like that when there is already an established reputable site for PowerPC software, DyNiForm's PowerPC Archive.

Actually, My site isn't dedicated to software at all, it's dedicated to entertainment, If it's freeware you don't need permission to "host" it. Freeware means "free to distribute" Shareware means "free to share" since shareware is demo software.

Speaking of entertainment..... Does anyone in the MR community have any online games, poems, comics, or any other Humorus or entertainment-related submissions?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Actually, My site isn't dedicated to software at all, it's dedicated to entertainment, If it's freeware you don't need permission to "host" it. Freeware means "free to distribute" Shareware means "free to share" since shareware is demo software.

On that same principle, sharing AppZapper and Adobe CS2 would be illegal.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
On that same principle, sharing AppZapper and Adobe CS2 would be illegal.

Maybe so, however since the links are on Adobe's servers I am not hosting it I am just linking to them. Like I said it maybe illegal but due to the fact that they couldnt prove anything means that they won't do anything.
EDIT: there are websites dedicated to providing serial numbers. When it's outdated/obsolete software, the respective companies are not out any money, it's no different than going to a local garage sale and buying a used PlayStation 2 or video games, companies make nothing from it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Maybe so, however since the links are on Adobe's servers I am not hosting it I am just linking to them. Like I said it maybe illegal but due to the fact that they couldnt prove anything means that they won't do anything.

The links are hidden behind account authentication for a reason. To put it in plain and simple terms, you want a lawsuit, then they have every right and will win guaranteed. There is a back road that there is nowhere for a police officer to hold a speed trap. The speed limit is 35 MPH. Does that mean that I should do 65 MPH because I can and they cannot prove I was speeding? Ethically and legally no...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
The links are hidden behind account authentication for a reason. To put it in plain and simple terms, you want a lawsuit, then they have every right and will win guaranteed. There is a back road that there is nowhere for a police officer to hold a speed trap. The speed limit is 35 MPH. Does that mean that I should do 65 MPH because I can and they cannot prove I was speeding? Ethically and legally no...

Adobe wouldn't know or be able to prove that CS2 was downloaded without an Adobe ID Account. You have a point with the speed trap thing however its done, I know from living in a town of 110k people with a police force of 133 cops, that people can and DO get away with speeding, hell I drive the limit (between 30-45 for where I drive) and I get passed by people doing 60 in a 45 or 50 in a 30, not a damn thing is done about it, I could probably drive around with NO license plates on my car and chances of me getting stopped for it would be slim to none.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Adobe wouldn't know or be able to prove that CS2 was downloaded without an Adobe ID Account. You have a point with the speed trap thing however its done, I know from living in a town of 110k people with a police force of 133 cops, that people can and DO get away with speeding, hell I drive the limit (between 30-45 for where I drive) and I get passed by people doing 60 in a 45 or 50 in a 30, not a damn thing is done about it, I could probably drive around with NO license plates on my car and chances of me getting stopped for it would be slim to none.

Does that make it right? No. Not at all...

Furthermore, this whole thread is taking a downwards turn. You are setting yourself up for an issue. Whether Adobe does something about or not is their jurisdiction. We can only say the best advice possible. As a community, we strive to do our best to do what is right and to help each other. Sometimes we need special expertise, like when I PMd a member here about my G5 CPU. Sometimes we need detailed guidance, like when I texted Gavin Stubbs about removing parts from my G5. And sometimes we need parts, which members here have sent me and I have repaid or helped them to compensate. Remember that we work together as a community, and if one person extends their hand to help in either expertise or parts, to return a modicum of gratitude.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Does that make it right? No. Not at all...

Furthermore, this whole thread is taking a downwards turn. You are setting yourself up for an issue. Whether Adobe does something about or not is their jurisdiction. We can only say the best advice possible. As a community, we strive to do our best to do what is right and to help each other. Sometimes we need special expertise, like when I PMd a member here about my G5 CPU. Sometimes we need detailed guidance, like when I texted Gavin Stubbs about removing parts from my G5. And sometimes we need parts, which members here have sent me and I have repaid or helped them to compensate. Remember that we work together as a community, and if one person extends their hand to help in either expertise or parts, to return a modicum of gratitude.

I never said it was right. And I do agree that this thread is taking a negitive turn. The website is not even online yet so I have nothing to worry about. I may just bypass my CS2 page with the one from Adobe that requires the Adobe ID.... either way lets get back on hand here.

Software can also mean games. Since my site is Entertainment-based I just webmaster codes to add games to my site (I used to use Kewlbox Games, but since the site seems to be defunct I am now using MiniClip games). If anyone in the PPC or MR community in general want to contribute any games, original music of anything humourous (Poems, Comics, etc... do suggest them. I hope the make my website one that the MR community would like to visit.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Haven't we gone over these stupid font colors... And what does "I hope the make my website one that the MR community would like to visit," mean. I think it's safe to say for everyone else that we all "like" to visit MR, we all "like" to visit Gavin's website to legally get software, and we all "like" to visit Google to look something up when we don't know what a word or something means. Perhaps you would "like" to visit Google to look up legal terms for posting software on a personal website...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Haven't we gone over these stupid font colors... And what does "I hope the make my website one that the MR community would like to visit," mean. I think it's safe to say for everyone else that we all "like" to visit MR, we all "like" to visit Gavin's website to legally get software, and we all "like" to visit Google to look something up when we don't know what a word or something means. Perhaps you would "like" to visit Google to look up legal terms for posting software on a personal website...

Yes the "Fonts" gone onver were using red which I am no longer. I could use red if i choose as there is nothing against it however.

What I mean Is a site where people of MR can go to get some laughs, Listen so some music, Watch come Music Videos, etc... The download section will actually be a vary SMALL section. And in no relation to the theme of the website at all. I may even put some freeware or shareware game downloads on it haven't decided yet.

EDIT: I live by the motto "Why Buy what you can get for free"? Why pay for internet when I can use a public wifi hotspot and a long-range wifi antenna? Why pay for obsolete sofware when you can simply activate alreadly LEGIT copies with LEGIT serial keys? It's really about principal. I'm not the only one. Technically speaking using Torrents are illegal too. ISPs monitor them has nothing to do with if the software you download via torrent is legal or not. P2P files sharing in and of itself is Illegal. For example Why buy a retail copy of Leopard? It's obsolete you cannot buy it from apple anymore, and any secondhand copies you could buy would not benefit apple at all. By the logic of some of you people it would make it illegal to buy used software at all, it would make it illegal to buy used video games or consoles. Same aspect.

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yes the "Fonts" gone onver were using red which I am no longer. I could use red if i choose as there is nothing against it however.

What I mean Is a site where people of MR can go to get some laughs, Listen so some music, Watch come Music Videos, etc... The download section will actually be a vary SMALL section. And in no relation to the theme of the website at all. I may even put some freeware or shareware game downloads on it haven't decided yet.

Ok this makes more sense now about your website. Onto the fonts, I'm using an app called Tapatalk on my phone, and I have the night mode on so I can read it easier, when you have blue and red fonts, you can barely make out the words. I'm not the only one who uses this app, and it looks annoying on the MR website as well. You don't need to stand out by using colored fonts. If anything, it's very childish. When I was five, I had to make all my email's rainbow colored. Was that annoying, yes. Did I learn not to do that, yes.

I guess some learn from their mistakes easier than others...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Ok this makes more sense now about your website. Onto the fonts, I'm using an app called Tapatalk on my phone, and I have the night mode on so I can read it easier, when you have blue and red fonts, you can barely make out the words. I'm not the only one who uses this app, and it looks annoying on the MR website as well. You don't need to stand out by using colored fonts. If anything, it's very childish. When I was five, I had to make all my email's rainbow colored. Was that annoying, yes. Did I learn not to do that, yes.

I guess some learn from their mistakes easier than others...

Well since I don't use MR in any mobile form (not going to get into that that is an entire thread topic of itself) I know nothing about bogus phones or their apps. From what I understand about night mode it makes the background dark and fonts light therefore using red, yellow or some other bright font should make it just as easy to see, again that's speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
uh-oh! now I know I'm sunk. :(

If it wasn't for you quoting him, I wouldn't have seen that edit. Matthew, you know if a cop or the government were to see that post, they will be showing up at your house, correct? You just came out and said that you illegally pirate software. That can also cause you to get a ban on MR as well. Great job... Perhaps the balance of these forums will return to calm and quiet, where people do favors for others, and then repay those users with money or another favor. Bunnspecial is extremely nice. He has given me 10 hard drives, when I only needed one. I'm repaying him the favor by sending him a G4 Sonnet card. This is the way it should be on here, people looking out for other people. Bunn didn't have to send me 10 hard drives, let alone any, but he did. I could have been selfish and kept the G4 card for myself and stuck it in one of my systems, but instead I am sending it to him. Once again, this is the way things should be on here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If it wasn't for you quoting him, I wouldn't have seen that edit. Matthew, you know if a cop or the government were to see that post, they will be showing up at your house, correct? You just came out and said that you illegally pirate software. That can also cause you to get a ban on MR as well. Great job... Perhaps the balance of these forums will return to calm and quiet, where people do favors for others, and then repay those users with money or another favor. Bunnspecial is extremely nice. He has given me 10 hard drives, when I only needed one. I'm repaying him the favor by sending him a G4 Sonnet card. This is the way it should be on here, people looking out for other people. Bunn didn't have to send me 10 hard drives, let alone any, but he did. I could have been selfish and kept the G4 card for myself and stuck it in one of my systems, but instead I am sending it to him. Once again, this is the way things should be on here.

That is exactly how the system of sharing should work in a community like this...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

no i never actually admitted to pirating software at all. I simply said that it's possible not that it was being done. All I admitted to is using public wifi which in and of it self is not ILLEGAL because it is meant to be used by the public hence "free public wifi"

EDIT: even if i did pirate software It's not like I am the only one in the world or on MacRumors that would of done it for example. I generally use freeware and shareware if i have to but i prefer freeware.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
no i never actually admitted to pirating software at all. I simply said that it's possible not that it was being done. All I admitted to is using public wifi which in and of it self is not ILLEGAL because it is meant to be used by the public hence "free public wifi"

Let's not forget that this thread was started because you wanted to illegally host software on your website, later on you tried to cover yourself up by saying it was only a small section of your website, that's not what the title of this thread suggests...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.