Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyMcMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Hi, I was given a machine that was stuck on the logo, after trying many things I decided to try and simply re-install the OS, start fresh.

After realising the G5 will not boot from USB i decided to erase the main HDD, restore a DMG of Mountain Lion onto a partition on the HDD I had created once erased (in Apple Partition Map) only to find the G5 no longer even see's the HDD.

What do I do?

Many Thanks

Tommy

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Hi, I was given a machine that was stuck on the logo, after trying many things I decided to try and simply re-install the OS, start fresh.

After realising the G5 will not boot from USB i decided to erase the main HDD, restore a DMG of Mountain Lion onto a partition on the HDD I had created once erased (in Apple Partition Map) only to find the G5 no longer even see's the HDD.

What do I do?

Many Thanks

Tommy

Burn the OS X Installer image onto a DVD and boot from it by holding the 'C' key on boot up. If it boots fine from the disk its most likely a hard drive issue, if it does not then it's something else! :confused:

TommyMcMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Prior to me erasing the HDD it was showing up in the menu just wasn't booting into the already installed OS which leads me to believe that the HDD is fine, its something im missing

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Can we confirm you have a G5? It should only have 1 CD/DVD drive bay.

If so, the latest OS you can run is Mac OS X Leopard (10.5). Snow Leopard and onwards only support Intel Macs.

TommyMcMusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah it is a G5 with only 1 CD/DVD Drive

----------

The OS im using is later than that of Leopard, DAMN! Need to get a hold of Leopard now haha!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was about to say, Mountain Lion will not work on this. G5s and any PowerPC G4/G5 computer with over 800MHz of processing power max out at OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.