Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Touch-ID-250x248.png
Following the release of iOS 8.3 for iPhone and iPad on Wednesday, many users have turned to the Apple Support Communities, Reddit and MacRumors discussion forums about Touch ID not working in the App Store on the latest software version. The issue affects multiple iPhone and iPad models, including the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2, although the bug does not appear to affect all users.
"I just updated to iOS 8.3 and it completely removed my ability to use Touch ID in the App Store on my iPhone 6," a post on Reddit reads. "It asks for my password for each and every purchase. Is anyone else seeing this? The option to use Touch ID in the App Store is on. I have already tried turning it off and on again to re-enter my password."
The bug persists for many regardless of whether Touch ID is listed as enabled for purchases under Settings > iTunes & App Store, and there does not appear to be a proper solution for the problem yet. Apple may be forced to resolve the bug through a minor point update such as iOS 8.3.1, as it has done in the past with iOS 8.0.2 when the original iOS 8.0.1 update broke Touch ID and Wi-Fi entirely.

Fortunately, the lack of Touch ID within the App Store is mainly an inconvenience at this point for affected users, rather than a serious security issue. iPhone and iPad users will still be prompted to enter their Apple ID password when purchasing apps from the App Store, which was standard functionality before Touch ID was released on the iPhone 5s. Apple has yet to provide comment on the matter.

Article Link: Many Users Reporting Touch ID Not Working in App Store on iOS 8.3

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It's pretty crazy that got by the extensive (even public, right?) beta testing.

Actually, I noticed this in the public beta and reported it. I did not really care since I don't purchase that often through the App Store or iTunes, but it did seem a bit odd. Surprised that it was not addressed for the final build.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Bug report submitted. How odd it worked for me yesterday morning using 12F61 when I downloaded Mortal Kombat X. I am using a Verizon iPhone 6, 64 gig.

vintimus

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Yup seeing the same thing. Hopefully this will be the biggest issue from 8.3, fingers crossed.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Mine doesn't work on any of my devices (6 plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3). I'm not a happy bunny :mad:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've noticed that TouchID seems to take a lot longer to unlock my iPhone 6+ since updating to iOS 8.3... I wonder if it's related?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Apple need to invest in software quality control. Ive had more bugs and issues with software in the last year than the 5 before it combined.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
interesting to know that "many users" actually use touchid for the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.