Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I have an MDD 1.0 DP that is experiencing lockups among other things. Here are some of the issues.

1. Anything connected to the ATA-33 bus is not detected. This includes Superdrive and hard drives. I can connect the Superdrive to the ATA-66 and it works fine. Tried different cables and such. The ATA-33 Bus does not even show up in System profiler.

2. The system locks up a different times within OS9 and OSX. Sometimes on boot up . Sometimes after using it for a while.

3. Attached is crash on screen. Other times it gets the dreaded put button to restart your mac screen.

Things that I have tried.

1. Reset nvram, reset pmu, zapped pram. removed battery.
2. Swapped memory with working MDD 1.25 DP.
3. Currently just using a 512 Memory stick.
4. No add on cards
5. Used mutiple hard drives even swapped with working MDD 1.25 system
6. Can't run AHT since can't boot from Superdrive.
7. Removed heatsink and reapplied thermal compound.

Anyone have a clue what could be the issue? I am guessing it is the logic board.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like a hardware issue. What PCI cards do you have installed other than the Rage?

Based on the top line of your KP (System Failure…cpu=1…invalid pmap) here is what I found (this person explained this fairly well I think in response to someone else's KP):

…an "invalid pmap" which is referring to the Port Mapper (PMAP) protocol which manages the allocation of transport layer ports. In short (and overly simplified but, on target, I believe), if one processor doesn't flush it's cache properly, the other processor could stumble into/over a previously used, yet presumed open frame, causing a crash. RAM not being properly cleared could also cause this.

In the early KP's in the logs posted, the unresolved kernel trap, is caused once by instruction access, and after, by data access. In the KP's resulting from data access, you have CPU 1 crashing when a deadlock occurred. A deadlock refers to a specific condition when two or more processes are each waiting for another to release a resource, or more than two processes are waiting for resources in a circular chain. This is a problem with multi-processors, and may be either hardware or software.

Also, the Mac holds time and date correct? Just confirming.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
It holds time. I just removed the battery so it was reset. There are no other PCI cards in the machine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Then given your prior issues with the ATA bus I would say your logicboard is probably starting to fail. Usually, if there is an issue with a video card, it just fails and you get no video display. I've never heard of a video card failing slowly although I suppose it could happen.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My logicboard had this same issue, but with me it was the ATA100 bus experiences the same thing you had. You need a new logic board.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Well i got a hold of a firewire DVD player. I held option and the DVD shows up with Apple Hardware Test CD. The problem I have is when I select it then hit the arrow pointing right. Nothing happens, it just goes back to the menu with the OSX , OS9 , and the DVD with AHT screen.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Well i got a hold of a firewire DVD player. I held option and the DVD shows up with Apple Hardware Test CD. The problem I have is when I select it then hit the arrow pointing right. Nothing happens, it just goes back to the menu with the OSX , OS9 , and the DVD with AHT screen.

I think something like that happens if you try booting incompatible media. Perhaps the AHT CD is not compatible with your machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.