Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Jacksonc
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Jony's house
OS X Yosemite and FCP7

Has anyone with OS X Yosemite tested FCP7 yet? Does it even work? Thanks!
Jacksonc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:17 AM   #2
sevoneone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonc View Post
Has anyone with OS X Yosemite tested FCP7 yet? Does it even work? Thanks!
I'd be curious to know this also. Being able to open up old FCP projects is important for me.
sevoneone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Jacksonc
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Jony's house
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevoneone View Post
I'd be curious to know this also. Being able to open up old FCP projects is important for me.
Yes, I still use FCP 7 regularly. I don't even have FCPX.
Jacksonc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:51 AM   #4
pwhitehead
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonc View Post
Has anyone with OS X Yosemite tested FCP7 yet? Does it even work? Thanks!
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740368
pwhitehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:39 AM   #5
JustinePaula
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Will FCP7 work on 10.10 Yosemite?
The answer yes it will.

Will it work well? The answer is no, FCP 7 as part of Final Cut Studio 2 and 3 was not designed to run on the new coding in Yosemite, yes you could install Rosetta if you have Snow Leopard install disk, this is a minor re-engineering of Yosemite to fool the FCS/FCP7 installer into thinking it is running on a compatible approved operating system.

You will not enjoy a pleasant experience editing, it will cause conflicts, endless cycles of rendering and dropped frames, will it handle complex "modern" that is post FCP X video codecs as well as FCP X, no.. So why bother?

You gain nothing from using outdated obsolete timelines, there is very little benefit in FCP Classic any more, that chapter is closed, you will struggle to find updates to the basic installer, if you had any sense, you would have saved the various updates, but lets be real, who had the forethought to do this...I did not, and I was shocked at how Classic struggled on my 2013 retina Macbook pro with 8GB RAM..

I thought if it run like a dream with 4, then 8 would be a breeze, oh boy was I wrong, it was a hunk of junk, beachballs, endless rendering, even then, life as a curse...Out the window it went, and I am not looking back, sad that an investment did not last as long as I had hoped it would..FCP X is the future, it is becoming more stable. OK issues with Yosemite, so I am still using 10.9.4 Mavericks for now..

Time to leave the past where it belongs, in the past, I would not consider going back, why? There is very few aspects of 7 that make it compelling to be my tool of choice..
JustinePaula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Dark Goob
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinePaula View Post
Will FCP7 work on 10.10 Yosemite?
The answer yes it will.

Will it work well? The answer is no, FCP 7 as part of Final Cut Studio 2 and 3 was not designed to run on the new coding in Yosemite, yes you could install Rosetta if you have Snow Leopard install disk, this is a minor re-engineering of Yosemite to fool the FCS/FCP7 installer into thinking it is running on a compatible approved operating system.

You will not enjoy a pleasant experience editing, it will cause conflicts, endless cycles of rendering and dropped frames, will it handle complex "modern" that is post FCP X video codecs as well as FCP X, no.. So why bother?

You gain nothing from using outdated obsolete timelines, there is very little benefit in FCP Classic any more, that chapter is closed, you will struggle to find updates to the basic installer, if you had any sense, you would have saved the various updates, but lets be real, who had the forethought to do this...I did not, and I was shocked at how Classic struggled on my 2013 retina Macbook pro with 8GB RAM..

I thought if it run like a dream with 4, then 8 would be a breeze, oh boy was I wrong, it was a hunk of junk, beachballs, endless rendering, even then, life as a curse...Out the window it went, and I am not looking back, sad that an investment did not last as long as I had hoped it would..FCP X is the future, it is becoming more stable. OK issues with Yosemite, so I am still using 10.9.4 Mavericks for now..

Time to leave the past where it belongs, in the past, I would not consider going back, why? There is very few aspects of 7 that make it compelling to be my tool of choice..
How do you know whether FCP7 will necessarily run poorly on 10.10? Your bad experience could have been caused by a conflict with an old codec file.

What specifically about 10.10 makes FCP7 unhappy?
__________________
-=DG=-
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” - Jack Handey
Dark Goob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:59 PM   #7
sevoneone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinePaula View Post
Will FCP7 work on 10.10 Yosemite?
The answer yes it will.

Will it work well? The answer is no, FCP 7 as part of Final Cut Studio 2 and 3 was not designed to run on the new coding in Yosemite, yes you could install Rosetta if you have Snow Leopard install disk, this is a minor re-engineering of Yosemite to fool the FCS/FCP7 installer into thinking it is running on a compatible approved operating system.

You will not enjoy a pleasant experience editing, it will cause conflicts, endless cycles of rendering and dropped frames, will it handle complex "modern" that is post FCP X video codecs as well as FCP X, no.. So why bother?

You gain nothing from using outdated obsolete timelines, there is very little benefit in FCP Classic any more, that chapter is closed, you will struggle to find updates to the basic installer, if you had any sense, you would have saved the various updates, but lets be real, who had the forethought to do this...I did not, and I was shocked at how Classic struggled on my 2013 retina Macbook pro with 8GB RAM..

I thought if it run like a dream with 4, then 8 would be a breeze, oh boy was I wrong, it was a hunk of junk, beachballs, endless rendering, even then, life as a curse...Out the window it went, and I am not looking back, sad that an investment did not last as long as I had hoped it would..FCP X is the future, it is becoming more stable. OK issues with Yosemite, so I am still using 10.9.4 Mavericks for now..

Time to leave the past where it belongs, in the past, I would not consider going back, why? There is very few aspects of 7 that make it compelling to be my tool of choice..
Where are you getting your information? FCP 7 is running fine on my systems that have been upgraded to 10.10. I have not noticed any trouble. Installing Rosetta will get you nothing. Rosetta is an emulation layer for running apps written for PowerPC processors. Final Cut Pro 7 is Intel native, it will run fine on any desktop i5 or i7 processor in a modern Mac.

Will FCP 7 be as Fast as FCP X 10.1.x on a modern machine? No. FCP X has all kinds of optimizations that make it faster on new hardware, but FCP 7 is not going to run any worse because of it.

The only thing to MAYBE be weary of is running FCP 7 on the low clocked processors in the MacBook Air since FCP 7 is very processor intensive and can't pull on the GPU to speed things up like FCP X can... but those chips are so much more efficient than the Core2Duos FCP 7 was designed to run on that I'm sure it would be fine there too.
sevoneone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:29 PM   #8
JustinePaula
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I have a 2013 late november 8GB RAM macbook pro, when I tried to install Classic FCP on as I have Mavericks as my operating system, I had an error, Dr Google suggested trying Rosetta, amongst other tricks, using Rosetta worked, as I do suspect it of creating a emulation layer or some sort of similar, the point is, tried to re-install after Rosetta, and it worked..

2 things could be at fault here for my reporting faults with FCP 7, 1-a bad hardware device, the laptop is dodgy, or 2-Mavericks is faulty...I say this as well you have no issues, and I have no other issues with Mavericks, so logically I can deduce the laptop is faulty..

I always thought my retina 2013 macbookpro was a hunk of junk, from the day I bought it, and tried to use it, but was assured and even had it swapped..So as there is a fault with the 2011 model is there a general fault with the 2013 8GB model as well..I do not for 1 second suspect issues with Mavericks, I do 100% believe the laptop is faulty!
JustinePaula is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FCP7 with nMP? Gav Mack Mac Pro 7 Jul 11, 2014 01:35 PM
Apple website Yosemite Finder icon changed, different to Yosemite! alexprib OS X Yosemite (10.10) 9 Jul 3, 2014 09:59 PM
FCP7 on 10.9 Mavericks DingoDance OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 23, 2013 08:13 AM
FCP7 only using 13% of CPU while rendering RiseDarthVader Digital Video 5 Dec 3, 2012 04:43 PM
FCP7-QuickTime Problem Pici072 Digital Video 1 Sep 26, 2012 09:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC