Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
senseless
macrumors 65816

FCPX stutters importing 4:3 mini DV tape

FCPX when importing from a Canon mini-dv camera, standard 4:3 video stutters and misses frames, creates dozens of clips per scene. I'm using Firewire 800.

I do not have a problem with Final Cut Express. What is going on?
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:08 AM   #2
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
FCPX when importing from a Canon mini-dv camera, standard 4:3 video stutters and misses frames, creates dozens of clips per scene. I'm using Firewire 800.

FCP X is a much more resource hungry app than FCP Express. What Mac are you using, CPU and RAM?
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:09 PM   #3
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmunky View Post
FCP X is a much more resource hungry app than FCP Express. What Mac are you using, CPU and RAM?
I have a 2009 2.8mhz I7 quad core iMac with 8 gigabytes of ram.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 05:53 PM   #4
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have a 2009 2.8mhz I7 quad core iMac with 8 gigabytes of ram.
To be fair that should be enough. Any other apps running that might be taking up resources? Is your FCP install up to date.
Another way to check for issues is activate your guest account, log into that and try t and see if there's a difference.
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmunky View Post
To be fair that should be enough. Any other apps running that might be taking up resources? Is your FCP install up to date.
Another way to check for issues is activate your guest account, log into that and try t and see if there's a difference.
Everything is up to date and nothing else running. I'll see if this is an HDV issue also. Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:31 PM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:

It's hard to know why. FCPX can do a lot of things while it imports. Shut all that down. Turn off proxy, analysis and creation of "optimized" media. It's in "preferences"
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G3

It sounds like FCX is more sensitive to glitches in the tape's timecode. For whatever reason FCE seems to be ignoring them.

If Express is capturing it well, though, I'd say capture in that and then move the files over to FCX.

Whatever works.
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:19 PM   #8
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
It sounds like FCX is more sensitive to glitches in the tape's timecode. For whatever reason FCE seems to be ignoring them.

If Express is capturing it well, though, I'd say capture in that and then move the files over to FCX.

Whatever works.
I think you're right about the FCX timecode sensitivity. I tried a tape made on a different camera (same format) and it was fine. Final Cut Express used to lose sync easily, come to think of it, so this may have been tightened up in X version.

I did not know I could move Final Cut Express files to Final Cut X. This might be something the Express version cannot do, but I will check it out. Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
I think you're right about the FCX timecode sensitivity. I tried a tape made on a different camera (same format) and it was fine. Final Cut Express used to lose sync easily, come to think of it, so this may have been tightened up in X version.

I did not know I could move Final Cut Express files to Final Cut X. This might be something the Express version cannot do, but I will check it out. Thanks!
There's probably not an in-program way, but just find the files in Finder and then import them to FCX. (I believe they reside in the 'Movies' folder in your user folder.)

I suspect FCX will then copy them to its library and you'll have to erase the originals from FCE to get the drive space back.

An annoying step, but if it works it's worth it.
Small White Car is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video