Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Please recommend me how to convert a batch of raw movies into a good quality and standard format files for my parents to watch on a MacBook Air. (A free alternative if possible)

The movies come from a Canon T3i (mov), a Lumia 1020 and Sony RX1 (mp4) and are huge in size. Most of them are 1920x1080 H.264 Linear PCM.

I'm keeping the original raw files and will like to give my parents a lossy copy of these movies of my grandma.

Cheers

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
try handbrake.

(btw., technically, they are not called raw videos - real raw videos would be 1-2 orders of magnitude bigger - think 100+ MB/s)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Handbrake is good if you really want to give them the files but I have a Vimeo account for exactly this kind of stuff.

You can password-protect specific videos for one-off things or just make a "Parents" album and give them the one password and add stuff to it in the future knowing only they can see it.

May not be worth the money to you, but if you do it a lot it could be.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
@Unami, thank you.

@Small White Car, thank you. With the family photos I use flickr. This time I can give the videos to my parents personally and put them in their MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.