Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I want to get a stylus and download an app where I can take notes.

Any suggestion?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the phone and iPad are not designed to be used with a stylus (yet), and so imo, its no different then using your finger. The precision and ability that we see on the Galaxy Note phone and for tablets like the surface pro are missing from the iPhone/iPad.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Styluses is a huge topic in itself. To briefly summarize, there are four "technologies" available for iOS devices at the moment (listed in order of when they were released, oldest first):
1. Fat rubber-tipped styluses. This is the type I use regularly. People dislike them due to the size, but you can overcome that issue depending on what software you're using (which I'll discuss after styluses). There's a lot of variability in how they feel depending on the tip itself. Some tips are very soft and mushy, while others are harder. It impacts how easily it moves across the screen and how much pressure you can apply. I prefer harder tips, but unless you can feel it for yourself before buying, I feel that it's a gamble with what you'll get. Just as an example, I bought a pack of ten styluses off of eBay, and of the ten I'd say that one or two had nice, firm tips, another one or two were passable for usage, and three or four were absolute garbage.

2. Fat mesh-tipped styluses. These glide more easily across the screen than rubber-tipped styluses. If you use a screen protector, however, they'll either require a lot of pressure or won't work at all, depending on what screen protector you're using.

3. Plastic disk-based styluses. Because the disk is clear, this emulates the feel of writing with a pen fairly nicely. People complained about the clacking of plastic against the screen, and there is a critical flaw with these styluses: they don't always register with the screen, which can cause "skipping" in your writing.

4. Field-generating, thin-tipped styluses. These have the thinnest tips yet and are the closest you can come to a pen/paper feel (or like proper styluses geared toward writing on other systems). The one I tried was the Dot Pen stylus, and I thought it was amazing... unfortunately, while it worked beautifully with a "naked" iOS device, it didn't work with my screen protector. The downsides to these styluses are that, being the newest, they tend to be expensive; having a plastic tip, they're still more audible than using a pen with paper; and since they actively generate a field, they require a battery (and some styluses time out too quickly compared to others).

Software-wise, there are a number of options available. I like Notability. The feature that allows you to overcome the fat tip to produce thin, legible writing is a magnification box. You can write with larger strokes at the bottom of the screen, and it will appear as normal-sized writing elsewhere on the page. The box shifts when you reach the edge of the screen, so you don't need to keep repositioning it yourself. I've seen other writing applications that have similar features, but I can't say how well they work. As a disclaimer, I'm using it on an iPad; Notability does have an iPhone version, but I don't know if they retained the writing magnified box or not.

Hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.