Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
How much faster would one of the new dual 1.25ghz be than my G4 450mhz, what differences would i see etc.. I'am thinking of buying one of them and a new 17" formac, are they better than the apple 17"?

Your comments are much appreciated.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Dual 1.25ghz speed

Originally posted by noelmac75
How much faster would one of the new dual 1.25ghz be than my G4 450mhz, what differences would i see etc.. I'am thinking of buying one of them and a new 17" formac, are they better than the apple 17"?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Expect it to be significantly faster... especially in rendering DV etc etc..... Also the Dual will provide serious multi tasking ability..... something that'll blow your mind moving up from a 450MHz......

I've just moved from a PowerBook G4 500Mhz to a PowerBook G4 1GHz and the difference is huge, especially in manipulating imagery in Photoshop and rendering in After Effects..... I'm seeing figures far in the 3x faster region when I was doing comparison renders last month!!

Couldn't you stretch for the Dual 1.42GHz?? I'd always suggest go for the fastest machines available if you can afford it....

Either way, I'm sure a Dual 1.25GHz will put a smile on your face!!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Dual 1.25ghz speed

Originally posted by iGAV

Expect it to be significantly faster... especially in rendering DV etc etc..... Also the Dual will provide serious multi tasking ability..... something that'll blow your mind moving up from a 450MHz......

I've just moved from a PowerBook G4 500Mhz to a PowerBook G4 1GHz and the difference is huge, especially in manipulating imagery in Photoshop and rendering in After Effects..... I'm seeing figures far in the 3x faster region when I was doing comparison renders last month!!

Couldn't you stretch for the Dual 1.42GHz?? I'd always suggest go for the fastest machines available if you can afford it....

Either way, I'm sure a Dual 1.25GHz will put a smile on your face!!

Lemme offer the opposite opinion and recommend the dual 1.25 machine.

You pay a premium for going for the top of the line. Case in point, the 23" Cinema Display, which lost nearly half its value overnight. Case in point the "old" 1.25 dual Power Macs, which lost a ton of money overnight.

Your investment will depreciate less, both absolutely and percentage wise, if you don't buy the top of the line. And you'll spend more up front. The result is that you can upgrade more frequently and thus get faster and more feature-rich machines on a more consistent basis.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Dual 1.25ghz speed

Originally posted by john123

Lemme offer the opposite opinion and recommend the dual 1.25 machine.

You pay a premium for going for the top of the line. Case in point, the 23" Cinema Display, which lost nearly half its value overnight. Case in point the "old" 1.25 dual Power Macs, which lost a ton of money overnight.

Your investment will depreciate less, both absolutely and percentage wise, if you don't buy the top of the line. And you'll spend more up front. The result is that you can upgrade more frequently and thus get faster and more feature-rich machines on a more consistent basis.

This is true, and it happened to me when I bought my new PowerBook G4 1GHz......

However, I personally don't give a hoot about depreciation, I need the fastest machine available to me in a certain range.... (although I understand not everyone can have such a cavalier attitude to cost and expense)

I'd never buy a mac though worrying about how much I'd get for it in year, suffering less performance for that duration!

Just a thought....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.