Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screenshot-251-250x245.png
As the Apple Watch pre-orders continue to build this morning, it's worth noting a few third-party websites who plan to provide services to early adopters of Apple's new wearable device. One of those sites is BandSwapper, which will let users swap out their unused Apple Watch Sport Band for another size and color.

As was discovered closely following Apple's big "Spring Forward" event last month, every model of the Apple Watch that ships with a Sport Band - meaning both aluminum and stainless steel - comes in two sizes for both the 38mm and 42mm casing sizes. The smaller 38mm case covers 130-200mm wrists in both S/M and M/L bands, while the larger 42mm option ranges between 140-210mm wrists in S/M and M/L bands.

BandSwapper plans to fix the extraneous multi-band option by allowing Sport Band users to swap the band they won't use, for a completely different size and color band that they will. As the website claims on its currently sparse homepage, "It takes 5 minutes and costs only $6."
Here's How it Works:
1. Tell us which band you have and which one you want.
2. Send us your unused band with one of our pre-paid shipping labels.
3. We'll send you back a band in the size and color you want.
Currently, the most users can do to prepare for band swapping is provide the website an email address to remind them when the BandSwapper storefront will be live, which will coincide with the Apple Watch's official launch on April 24.

As expected, a lot of Apple Watch-related news continues to circulate today as pre-order estimates begin slipping rapidly and more news on the Watch's warranty surfaces.

Update: As several readers have pointed out, customers do not actually receive two complete sport bands, instead receiving three band pieces that together allow for two different band sizes. As a result, BandSwapper's service will not allow users to trade for a complete band.

Article Link: BandSwapper Will Allow Apple Watch Sport Band Owners to Trade Out Duplicate Bands [Updated]

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
When they said they were including large and small bands with each watch this was my first thought. Glad someone followed through on it.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
This is super smart. Bookmarking this and will definitely use it to get an extra band on the 24th!

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
Err thought it was confirmed that you only get one and a half bands with the sport straps?

lewiseric91

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I thought you only got 1 actual band

then the other 1 is a s/m or m/l but its only half the strap?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Great idea.

Confused by what people are saying about sport model coming with 1.5 bands. How is this of any use?

Photos popped up the other day that the Sport band comes in 3 pieces: the strap with the metal pin, a slotted strap for S/M size wrists, and a slotted strap for M/L size wrists. So it isn't 2 complete bands.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
It was confirmed at some pont that there we're 3 parts.

one regular one, and to difference sizes starts that would adapt to your wrist size

Once you put it on with either the smaller or the bigger one you'll be stuct with half a strap.

Robot Overlord

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, I had this idea as well and almost authored a site for the same purpose, then doing research found out about the "1.5 vs 2 bands" and scrapped the idea.

Too bad. I guess Apple is too smart to let people swap their way to different bands vs buying them from Apple for $50 a pop.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Why is this even a story? I thought the sport model only comes with one piece that has the pin, and two different size pieces of the other side.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Am I the only one who is confused about what bands come with each watch??

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry to butt in, but i thought it was possible until I was told on this site today that it wasnt.

Then, I went in to try both sizes on a few hours ago in the Edinburgh store and asked the rep specifically what was the score with the bands. He told me there was two bands (4 parts). I said "oh, so we can swap them?" he said yes, as long as its the right size you're swapping then its not a problem.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Apples site does say "2 bands". That should be 2 total bands in both sizes which makes up for 4 parts! I am thinking this is the case and we WILL get to swap these out.

rosshm16

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
When I ordered one this morning (Sport, 38 mm, blue band) there was no option for the size of the band, unless I missed it. The order confirmation also doesn't say anything about band size.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I thought the sport band came with 1 1/2 bands rather than 2 full ones?

Err thought it was confirmed that you only get one and a half bands with the sport straps?

I thought you only got 1 actual band

then the other 1 is a s/m or m/l but its only half the strap?

Photos popped up the other day that the Sport band comes in 3 pieces: the strap with the metal pin, a slotted strap for S/M size wrists, and a slotted strap for M/L size wrists. So it isn't 2 complete bands.

It was confirmed at some pont that there we're 3 parts.

one regular one, and to difference sizes starts that would adapt to your wrist size

Once you put it on with either the smaller or the bigger one you'll be stuct with half a strap.

Why is this even a story? I thought the sport model only comes with one piece that has the pin, and two different size pieces of the other side.

MAybe this site will allow you to just trade the one half you don't use. That way you can make for some funky arrangements. I could totally see one half blue and the other half pink (aka, Miami vice style).:D

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
This is a waste of an article. It was confirmed yesterday that all of this swapping can't happen.
The problem is that people keep using the word "confirmed" incorrectly.

At MacRumors, "confirmed" means you have an opinion (but no proof), and you've found someone else with the same opinion (but still no proof). So you can say your opinion has been "confirmed" by the other party. The authors and editors of the front page articles are often guilty of this misuse of "confirmed". So are many commenters.

A more truthful word might be "corroborated", but that's harder to spell and probably doesn't attract as many clicks.

This has lead to the unfortunate situation where people on both sides of this argument have had their opinion "confirmed" multiple times, often by (non-authoritative) sources at Apple.

Another interesting facet of "confirmed" statements at MacRumors: once your opinion is "confirmed", you're supposed to simply ignore all the evidence on the other side, and keep repeating your "confirmed" opinion on as many threads as possible. This applies equally to both sides of any "confirmed" argument. ;)

Here's what the Dictionary app on my Mac says:

confirm: establish the truth or correctness of (something previously believed, suspected, or feared to be the case)

corroborate: confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding)

There's clearly some overlap in the definitions, but "confirm" implies a higher level of certainty.

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
The problem is that people keep using the word "confirmed" incorrectly.

At MacRumors, "confirmed" means you have an opinion (but no proof), and you've found someone else with the same opinion (but still no proof). So you can say your opinion has been "confirmed" by the other party. The authors and editors of the front page articles are often guilty of this misuse of "confirmed". So are many commenters.

A more truthful word might be "corroborated", but that's harder to spell and probably doesn't attract as many clicks.

This has lead to the unfortunate situation where people on both sides of this argument have had their opinion "confirmed" multiple times, often by (non-authoritative) sources at Apple.

Another interesting facet of "confirmed" statements at MacRumors: once your opinion is "confirmed", you're supposed to simply ignore all the evidence on the other side, and keep repeating your "confirmed" opinion on as many threads as possible. This applies equally to both sides of any "confirmed" argument. ;)

Here's what the Dictionary app on my Mac says:

confirm: establish the truth or correctness of (something previously believed, suspected, or feared to be the case)

corroborate: confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding)

There's clearly some overlap in the definitions, but "confirm" implies a higher level of certainty.

See article update.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
We can go with the update but why would the rep say such thing today whilst holding it in his hand? Is he as clueless as me lol

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Looks pretty clear to me... (for Watches with the sport bands)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 12.45.44.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 12.45.44.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 156

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I withhold any comment from here on out. It doesn't matter anyways. I don't want to trade with anyone. I'm glad I got a school lesson today though. Never heard of a dictionary before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.