Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
For a prize of $50 of swag. What they are expecting of entrants is rediculous. I'd have to be heavily envolved in the group to even consider that.

Maybe for someone in school it might be worth while.

mac.FINN

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
They're kidding right?

$50 prize - and swag. Woopty-freaken-Do!

First of all, if I wanted clothing with my design on it, I'd make'em myself. I really doubt I'd want a cheap t-shirt with a (waycool) internet logo on it. Yeah, stylin'!

Also, I agree with the last post - the only designers who would be interested in doing this much work for (a chance) at $50 are Larrys (no offense to anyone actually named Larry :D) aka untrained, unprofessional wanna-bes who think that since they have photoshop and illustrator and can make a wicked-cool avatar (sarcasm) that they're designers.

Finally, no self respecting designer should take place in contests or spec work, and most designers I know - won't. Why don't companies understand this?

ps I'm applying right now!:rolleyes:

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
this is a joke!

:mad: They are trying to get someone to just as a good as a job for $50 that the Jommla people had done for several thousand no doubt. Even link out to their usage manual as an example!

I have been doing this a long time. The last logo I did I charged $4,000. I worked in university publications [art director] for 8 years. We redid the athletic logo. $25,000 to the freelancer who helped.

Absolute joke. Sad. Makes me mad. I hope my cousin's 10 year old wins. He needs a new Xbox game.:D

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's an open source not-for-profit organization, what do you expect? It's a mostly a symbolic prize.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
gekko513 said:
It's an open source not-for-profit organization, what do you expect? It's a mostly a symbolic prize.

I'm all for volunteering and helping out organizations without funding. But and here is the big BUT. They are expecting a prospective entrant to do far too much work. They are giving far too many stipulations.

I'm currently helping out a daycare with there promotional material. They are not paying me. I'm doing this for a big thank you. Why? Because i like to help out when people need the help. Here is the catch though. It's done on my timeline and they are more than happy with that. I'm doing them a favor not the other way around. I'm gladly and happily helping them out, because they actually need the help. Any help they can get. They are not trying to fleece someone for a corportate identy kit with the guise of doing the designer a favor.

I guess it's all in the perspective. And my perspective of this contest is all that favorable.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
i.Feature said:
I'm all for volunteering and helping out organizations without funding. But and here is the big BUT. They are expecting a prospective entrant to do far too much work. They are giving far too many stipulations.

I'm currently helping out a daycare with there promotional material. They are not paying me. I'm doing this for a big thank you. Why? Because i like to help out when people need the help. Here is the catch though. It's done on my timeline and they are more than happy with that. I'm doing them a favor not the other way around. I'm gladly and happily helping them out, because they actually need the help. Any help they can get. They are not trying to fleece someone for a corportate identy kit with the guise of doing the designer a favor.

This is what I'm talking about.

I have done this several times with Food Banks, Boys and Girls Clubs and fund-raising events. It's a give back. I also give non-profits who need major work [like a comprehensive identity program] a massive discount on fees, in the neighborhood of 50-70% off normal fees. It's expected and fine. But I have to charge something for work that will take 20% of my next 3-4 weeks. Thats a pretty big chunk of time. Every single one of the NPs that I have explained this to agreed, then were thrilled that I charged them so much less.

I agree with the above, they are asking for high-end, professional, comprehensive work for less than the cost of proofs. They should be more upfront.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.