Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
What date is your In Store Pick Up scheduled?
What models did you all purchase?

4/22 Gold 1.1 256GB

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
04/22 space grey 1.1 256gb
keeping my fingers crossed this 'preparing for shipment' status changes today.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'm shocked only 1 other person did the In Store Pick Up Option. I went to the Apple store to try and pick up my MB but they said it wouldn't be for sale until 4/24 sooo... *shrugs* it makes no diff either way.

Last edited:

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I'm shocked only 1 other person did the In Store Pick Up Option.

Why? Im getting it shipped to my house and it will be here between the 16th and the 20th. Not only do I get it quicker, I get it dropped off to my front door. Thats what you call a win/win.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Why? Im getting it shipped to my house and it will be here between the 16th and the 20th. Not only do I get it quicker, I get it dropped off to my front door. Thats what you call a win/win.

I have to work during the week and last time they left the iPad unattended on my door step while I was away at work. I was not happy.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I have to work during the week and last time they left the iPad unattended on my door step while I was away at work. I was not happy.

Hmmmm... That's the shipper's error, not Apple. In the U.S., at least, Apple requires that the shipping company NOT leave packages on doorsteps unless the customer explicitly signs a release. The release has to be downloaded from Apple's site and hand-signed and affixed to the door when the delivery truck comes. If you didn't do that, and they left it anyway, they weren't supposed to. Not Apple's fault

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
All the data points to this being the plan, not a botched launch. Angela A's email so much as confirms that. Online orders only today ("launch day"). First day an online order will be delivered to a physical address: April 16-20 with expedited shipping. Without expedited shipping: April 22. In-store pickup from an online order: April 24. Available to buy in store: April 24.

Clearly they want the first wave of buyers to purchase online instead of clogging stores. Then the stores will have them to try and buy, but without overflowing the store. They're testing this model with a smaller product launch like the MacBook so as to perfect it for the next bigger-scale launch (iphone) which would typically invite people camping on sidewalks, pouring into stores, squatting and poaching, etc...

I see this as their new method. For those asking the silly question, "Then what's the point of a brick&mortar store?!" the answer is that the physical stores are one part of Apple's planned model for distributing products. But there are only 265 physical Apple Stores in the U.S. Retail shopping is shifting toward online anyway. When a product is new, Apple's emphasis will be on online ordering and delivery, because the volume of demand is too high for the 265 stores to realistically be the primary sales point - at first. When the first, huge wave of orders are delivered, the physical stores kick in for sustained ongoing sales and marketing.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
All the data points to this being the plan, not a botched launch. Angela A's email so much as confirms that. Online orders only today ("launch day"). First day an online order will be delivered to a physical address: April 16-20 with expedited shipping. Without expedited shipping: April 22. In-store pickup from an online order: April 24. Available to buy in store: April 24.

Clearly they want the first wave of buyers to purchase online instead of clogging stores. Then the stores will have them to try and buy, but without overflowing the store. They're testing this model with a smaller product launch like the MacBook so as to perfect it for the next bigger-scale launch (iphone) which would typically invite people camping on sidewalks, pouring into stores, squatting and poaching, etc...

I see this as their new method. For those asking the silly question, "Then what's the point of a brick&mortar store?!" the answer is that the physical stores are one part of Apple's planned model for distributing products. But there are only 265 physical Apple Stores in the U.S. Retail shopping is shifting toward online anyway. When a product is new, Apple's emphasis will be on online ordering and delivery, because the volume of demand is too high for the 265 stores to realistically be the primary sales point - at first. When the first, huge wave of orders are delivered, the physical stores kick in for sustained ongoing sales and marketing.

yeah, the SVP for retail is trying to get rid of retail department sounds like a plan :)

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
yeah, the SVP for retail is trying to get rid of retail department sounds like a plan :)

She's the Sr.VP for Retail AND Online sales, officially, not just retail. (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/angela-ahrendts.html)

So... she's clearly not getting rid of retail. She's relegating it to a more realistic place in the marketing, sales and distribution of products. For large releases, she's focusing on the ONLINE part of her distribution network, because it can handle initial hype and volume better than the mere 265 U.S. Apple stores and 188 international ones. Once the glut of initial orders are more efficiently handled through online sales, the focus shifts to Retail stores, which drive ongoing marketing and sales.

Just think about it, I bet it'll make sense eventually.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
She's the Sr.VP for Retail AND Online sales, officially, not just retail. (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/angela-ahrendts.html)

So... she's clearly not getting rid of retail. She's relegating it to a more realistic place in the marketing, sales and distribution of products. For large releases, she's focusing on the ONLINE part of her distribution network, because it can handle initial hype and volume better than the mere 265 U.S. Apple stores and 188 international ones. Once the glut of initial orders are more efficiently handled through online sales, the focus shifts to Retail stores, which drive ongoing marketing and sales.

This.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010

It makes complete sense to me the first time it was stated.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014

Well. At least for the MacBook part. It looks more like an incident than a plan.

If you really want to push everything to online store, you still need some stock in stores Completely stopping in store sales is not going to help reduce the crowd. People simply don't know that before they go to stores, this will only result in disappointment.

Plus, some store don't even have display units? Seriously? Does it sounds like a plan to you?

I understand she wants to reduce the crowd. But simply by not selling anything isn't gonna help. You can certainly push people to online by "pre ordering". Like they did for iPhone 5. The online pre ordering starts one week before it hits the store, but the earliest day you are going to get was the next Friday. So if people have their confirmed delivery for launch day, why would they other to go to store and wait overnight?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Well. At least for the MacBook part. It looks more like an incident than a plan.

If you really want to push everything to online store, you still need some stock in stores Completely stopping in store sales is not going to help reduce the crowd. People simply don't know that before they go to stores, this will only result in disappointment.

Plus, some store don't even have display units? Seriously? Does it sounds like a plan to you?

I understand she wants to reduce the crowd. But simply by not selling anything isn't gonna help. You can certainly push people to online by "pre ordering". Like they did for iPhone 5. The online pre ordering starts one week before it hits the store, but the earliest day you are going to get was the next Friday. So if people have their confirmed delivery for launch day, why would they other to go to store and wait overnight?

What doesn't make sense is all this for a MacBook which has never been a hot item no matter how you look at it. People were coming to Apple to do various other things almost no one was interested in the MacBook yet accept for the few of us die hards who were in the market for a new machine.

Many people have purchased products and then went to the store and stood in line to make sure they get theirs on launch day.

Last edited:

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
What doesn't make sense is all this for a MacBook which has ever been a hot item no matter how you look at it. People were coming to Apple to do various other things almost no one was interested in the MacBook yet accept for the few of us die hards who were in the market for a new machine.

Many people have purchased products and then went to the store and stood in line to make sure they get theirs on launch day.

i think there might be some production or other issue. because overnight shipping is not available. typically when a mac or any product is 'available' right way, overnight shipping should be available. but for this particular macbook, the fastest is 2-3 business days

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
i think there might be some production or other issue. because overnight shipping is not available. typically when a mac or any product is 'available' right way, overnight shipping should be available. but for this particular macbook, the fastest is 2-3 business days

You don't remember the rMBP then? I was late ordering, a few hours after announcement. It was four weeks delivery by then.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
You don't remember the rMBP then? I was late ordering, a few hours after announcement. It was four weeks delivery by then.

lol i never know that. coz i've never bought a 15in one, i always go with 13, which was released months later.

i just double checked WWDC 2012, and there is a huge difference. that rmbp was 'starting shipping today'. but this macbook? it was announced a month ago, it has already been 30 days!

the only mac has such a long wait (or say short of supply) was the mac pro. but that was made in USA.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Ahrendts wanted to focus on Apple Watch since it's a harder sale and didn't want rMB as a distraction.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Mine shipped to store. So maybe I will get it sooner than I thought. Now it says Apr 16th.

:)~

rozelida

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I recall this also, difference was they still had them in store a couple days later for purchase (picked up one 2 days later) not 2 weeks after.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Could it be that like the preorders of the iPhones they are coming directly from Shanghai, China. I'm thinking overnight would be tough!

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.