Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Wednesday's release of OS X 10.10.3 and the new Photos for OS X app, Apple has, as promised, removed Aperture and iPhoto from the Mac App Store. Apple warned that development would stop on the two photo editing apps in the middle of last year, and put notices in the Mac App Store a couple months ago to let users know the apps would be pulled from sale following the launch of Photos.

The two apps remained available for download from the Mac App Store for approximately a day after Photos for OS X was released, but attempting to access them via search now gives no results and clicking through from an external Mac App Store link gives an "Item Not Available" message.

itemnotavailableaperture-800x361.jpg
Apple has ceased development on Aperture and iPhoto to concentrate its resources on Photos for OS X, its new photo editing software that integrates with the Photos for iOS app and iCloud Photo Library to let users access their complete set of photos on any device.

Photos for OS X has been described by many as an excellent replacement for iPhoto, as it includes more advanced tools and it runs much faster. Aperture users may find Photos for OS X lacking, however, as it does not have advanced tools like a loupe or brushable adjustments. It also does not support plugins.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Aperture and iPhoto Removed From Mac App Store Following Photos for OS X Launch

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I'm guessing that they'll keep the functionality in the photos app to read and convert iPhoto libraries for the long haul. I also wonder how long the iPhoto app will be able to be launched, will they make it so the next major OS update it won't launch?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Boo. No Aperture on the Macbook. Or can we still install it by copying from an existing installation?

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I moved to Adobe Lightroom too, and i absolutely hated the interface. It's built against all common sense and an ergonomic disaster. I 'm really going to miss Aperture...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Currently moving and reorganizing my 73,000 photos from Aperture into Lightroom.

Yeah, the interface isn't the best....but so far I'm impressed by the performance, and I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro. It's fast! And it can do multiple tasks at once with no beachballs.

Other than the lack of any integration with OS X or iOS devices.....so far I'm liking it.

The new Photos app was built for people you have small libraries and buy into the iCloud Photo Library as gospel!

-Kevin

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
iPhoto to iPhoto

I'm a heavy iPhoto user, and haven't updated my home computer to Yosemite yet. I'm about ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'm ready/wanting to move to the new Photos app yet...

So, my question is, if I upgrade to Yosemite now, will I still be able to update iPhoto to the latest version without being forced into migrating to the Photos app right away?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Do we think this may be the start of Apple removing the i from their software names? Could iTunes be rebranded Music for instance?

We've been in the post-i era a while now. They can't get rid of it while they still sell iPhones, but there hasn't been a new iProduct for a good while, and the Apple Watch signifies we probably won't be seeing any more. I suspect Sir Jony had a particular dislike for it. Perhaps all new music products will come under the Beats brand.

It is interesting that they chose 'Photos'. They couldn't possibly get a trademark on something so generic which leads me to believe they don't have any great ambition for it beyond being a bundled app. Some have hinted that it could ultimately be a whole infrastructure for all kinds of professional and prosumer photo related work but that seems unlikely if they're not even interested in building a protected brand.

Last edited:

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I moved to Adobe Lightroom too, and i absolutely hated the interface. It's built against all common sense and an ergonomic disaster. I 'm really going to miss Aperture...

Fully agree. I tried using Lightroom several times over the past years and always eventually stopped using it several times. It just made me vomit… :confused:

I am not a pro in photography, so I actually don't need all the features from Lightroom. But still something more powerful than iPhoto or Photos would be great. Maybe some indie developer could pick this up, maybe the guys making Pixelmator? There sure is an empty spot left now with Aperture being perfectly usable for now but eventually being a dead end… :(

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Has anyone confirmed that if you remove it or switch computers that you can still install from your "previous purchases"

Or is it gone as in - forever?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Has anyone confirmed that if you remove it or switch computers that you can still install from your "previous purchases"

I don't know about photos, but I can confirm lion and mountain lion is gone forever when I want to redownload it again (shown in my previous purchase, but error message when try to download). I assume this should be the same.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

This I must know too.

Hosestly I'm not all that impressed with Photos even as just an iPhoto replacement. It looks and feels more like an iPad app than an OS X app. UI is so minimal it's basically non-existent.

Be warned also that once you upgrade your library to the new format it won't be available in Aperture!

Just what is going on over at Apple?

----------

But doesn't have a download button hmmmm

This is what I'm guessing - and unfortunate.

This is shocking if true. One can only hope that it can still run if migrated to a new system manually. I depend on my Aperture plugins I've spent a lot of money on.

Really so stupid to get rid of a product without an equivalent replacement. It's like FCP X all over again but this time even worse.

Seriously Apple WTF? You are screwing over a huge user base.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Word was you'd still be able to download copies you'd purchased previously - any problems now I'd assume are snafu's that will be fixed. The implication was that iPhoto and Aperture will run at least through Yosemite (and hopefully at least the next release) while we get some bug fixes and updates on Photos.

I realized I had forgotten to buy the newer (bluish icon version of iPhoto that had dropped features from the prior version of iPhoto, so I avoided it) from the App Store and tried to do so on launch day, but couldn't pull it up.

Best idea is to find a copy of the installer now while they are still somewhat plentiful (making reminder to myself) if you want iPhoto working on Yosemite while 1.0 Photos matures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.