Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Palo Alto Apple Store in Palo Alto, California this morning as it opened its doors to let customers get their first look at the new Apple Watch. Cook was spotted chatting with potential customers and having a conversation with The Loop's Jim Dalrymple and iMore's Rene Ritchie.

cook_palo_alto_watch.jpg
Image courtesy of CNET's Shara Tibken
Several members of the media were on hand at the Palo Alto Store opening, as it's one of the flagship Bay Area stores that often sees visits from Apple executives. Tim Cook spoke to CNBC, telling the news site that pre-orders for the Apple Watch have been "great."
It has been incredible. You know this morning, I got reports from all the way around the world, from Japan to Australia to China to Germany to France to the U.K. to Canada and now the U.S. It is extraordinary. Customers are giving us great feedback and orders are great as well.
Cook also commented on the Apple Watch that he's wearing himself, telling CNBC's Josh Lipton that he wears the stainless steel Apple Watch with the White fluoroelastomer band most of the time, as that's what he works out in. Cook also said that he has a few other bands on hand, because he likes to change them out on occasion. "I am wearing this one the most," he said. "So I would highly recommend it to all of the listeners."

The Apple Watch became available for pre-order at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time earlier today, and initial pre-orders sold out very quickly. In less than an hour, shipping estimates for many Apple Watch models had slipped to 4 to 6 weeks or beyond, and within six hours, there were no longer any models available for an estimated delivery date of April 24 to May 8, the shipping estimate the earliest orderers received. Many customers who order today and beyond won't be able to obtain devices until May or June, and later in some cases.

As of today, Apple Stores around the world are allowing customers to try on the Apple Watch to get a feel for the device ahead of its official launch.

Article Link: Tim Cook Visits Palo Alto Apple Store, Says Apple Watch Orders Have Been 'Great'

D28Z98

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
"Sales have been great! And our customers are going to love Apple Watch when they get to actually put the thing on their wrists in several, several - several months"...

SloanNYC

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Uh oh, canceled orders

Apparently myself and everyone I know that ordered the black aluminum sport with black band is having their ordered canceled by Apple with the explanation we ordered too many. Each of us only ordered one. Phone customer service has no idea what is going on. :(

mmartinezs

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Apparently myself and everyone I know that ordered the black aluminum sport with black band is having their ordered canceled by Apple with the explanation we ordered too many. Each of us only ordered one. Phone customer service has no idea what is going on. :(

Mine still fine

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
It's really great that he joined the crowd. Looks like he's wearing the t-shirt the Apple Watch sales people are expected to wear (or at least a similar color). Definitely the coolest CEO around!

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

How many people are you talking about?

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Samsung "sold" 800,000 of their first watch in the first 2 months.

I would imagine that Apple sold that many within 2 minutes.

As with other product categories, Apple hasn't always been the first to get something to market. But, what they usually get out is better than what has been available previously.

Kojemica

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
hmm, "great" isn't quite the adjective i expected to hear from tim cook regarding initial sales... especially with all the other adjectives that apple execs use during keynotes to describe their products. sounds like it did well, but not as well as he had hoped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.