Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
I just updated my Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6-Core, 5,1 (2010) to 10.10.3. When I power up the Mac Pro boots to a grey screen then directly to the OS X Recovery start up. The only way I can get it to start is to boot holding down the OPTION key (start up manager) then it starts and runs well.

The Velocity has worked well for the last year, Any suggestions as to a fix would be very helpful????

I have preformed all the standard repairs such PRAM reset. ACL rebuild and Disk Utilities. Will leave it running for now.
I am not having problems with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 just the SSD on the X2 pci card.

Bob

Last edited:

giodelgado

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I just updated my Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6-Core, 5,1 (2010) to 10.10.3. When I power up the Mac Pro boots to a grey screen then directly to the OS X Recovery start up. The only way I can get it to start is to boot holding down the OPTION key (start up manager) then it starts and runs well.

The Velocity has worked well for the last year, Any suggestions as to a fix would be very helpful????

I have preformed all the standard repairs such PRAM reset. ACL rebuild and Disk Utilities. Will leave it running for now.
I am not having problems with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 just the SSD on the X2 pci card.

Bob

I have the X2 and didn't experience this on my 2010 Hex MP

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Fixed until the next update

Reseting the Startup Disk did not help. Removing the CALDIGIT FASTA-6GU3 PCI Fixed the problem. The old FASTA has been a problem before but it has been working fine with out sleep turned on so I thought I could get another year out of it. What would you all suggest as a replacement for USB3 and SATA connection?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Glad you got it sorted out. I would ask you to think about modifying the thread title and marking it resolved, but I'd probably get a moderator warning or something.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015

Bob
So then you aren't using TRIM Enabler,and therefore didn't have any of the issues some people had with the 10.10.3 update? A few did, some user error. And that was my first thought as to what happened with yours.

https://www.cindori.org/forum/

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Reseting the Startup Disk did not help. Removing the CALDIGIT FASTA-6GU3 PCI Fixed the problem. The old FASTA has been a problem before but it has been working fine with out sleep turned on so I thought I could get another year out of it. What would you all suggest as a replacement for USB3 and SATA connection?

I also had issues with the original FASTA-6GU3 and the Solo x2 card, resulting in the trial of several other solutions. However, I became disallusioned with using USB 3.0 RAID systems and wanted to return to eSATA for that. I finally purchased the new CalDigit FASTA-6GU3-PRO card and had no further issues with card conflicts.

I have since replaced the Solo x2 card with a DUO x2 card and a Apple PCI SSD and again have had no problems since.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
So then you aren't using TRIM Enabler,and therefore didn't have any of the issues some people had with the 10.10.3 update? A few did, some user error. And that was my first thought as to what happened with yours.

https://www.cindori.org/forum/

I purchased and was using TRIM Enabler but I got the grey screen with the stop sign when I first updated to 10.10. Since then I have removed it since I can't trust that it will be turned off when the next update happens. In any case it won't even install now so it's over and done.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I purchased and was using TRIM Enabler but I got the grey screen with the stop sign when I first updated to 10.10. Since then I have removed it since I can't trust that it will be turned off when the next update happens. In any case it won't even install now so it's over and done.

You need to intervene and turn it off first before updating, and good time to clone your system. There is a new version of TE it looks like due in a couple weeks (and a link to be notified).

giodelgado

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
So TRIM Enabler has been the one that prevented my MP to go to sleep this whole time? I just noticed the "Sleep Image" option.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Old Velocity X2 causing problems with FASTA PCIE

I also had issues with the original FASTA-6GU3 and the Solo x2 card, resulting in the trial of several other solutions. However, I became disallusioned with using USB 3.0 RAID systems and wanted to return to eSATA for that. I finally purchased the new CalDigit FASTA-6GU3-PRO card and had no further issues with card conflicts.

I have since replaced the Solo x2 card with a DUO x2 card and a Apple PCI SSD and again have had no problems since.

HFG
I updated my old FASTA-6GU3 to a new CalDigit FASTA-6GU3-PRO and my Mac Pro will not boot with a SATA drive connected and powered up. Is SATA really needed any more? I only have 2 old SATA drives I may just forget the SATA and go to only USB3.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
HFG
I updated my old FASTA-6GU3 to a new CalDigit FASTA-6GU3-PRO and my Mac Pro will not boot with a SATA drive connected and powered up. Is SATA really needed any more? I only have 2 old SATA drives I may just forget the SATA and go to only USB3.

I have a eSATA connected RAID-5 array and a dual-drive disk dock connected to my 5,1 Mac Pro with the FASTA-6GU3-PRO card. I had previously had a quad USB 3.0 card in there, but became disillusioned with the problems I had, so I replaced it with the new CalDigit card to regain the eSATA interface.

I just now successfully booted from the CalDigit eSATA to the disk-dock with a backup disk without any problems ... so it does boot fine on my system. You might try a PRAM reset (I let it go for 3 chimes before releasing it) as that seems to fix many booting issues posters here have had.

Good luck and report back with your experience ...

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Old ( 1.5 years) Velocity X2 and Fasta do not dance well

I have a eSATA connected RAID-5 array and a dual-drive disk dock connected to my 5,1 Mac Pro with the FASTA-6GU3-PRO card. I had previously had a quad USB 3.0 card in there, but became disillusioned with the problems I had, so I replaced it with the new CalDigit card to regain the eSATA interface.

I just now successfully booted from the CalDigit eSATA to the disk-dock with a backup disk without any problems ... so it does boot fine on my system. You might try a PRAM reset (I let it go for 3 chimes before releasing it) as that seems to fix many booting issues posters here have had.

Good luck and report back with your experience ...

HFG
I have removed the FASTA GU3 PRO and packed it up. I isolated the issue to my old Velocity X2 not working at all with the FASTA GU3 PRO now that Yosemite 10.10.3 has been installed. After removing the USB/SATA card my machine works fine. I e-mailed Caldigit support days ago and have not gotten any reply. So I am cutting my losses now rather than hope for a fix. I should have done that last year the my first GU3 PCI.

Since your set-up is working. My guess is Apricorn has changed the X2 Duo in the process of updating to tandem board. I am going with the RocketU 1144C for USB for $70.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HFG
I have removed the FASTA GU3 PRO and packed it up. I isolated the issue to my old Velocity X2 not working at all with the FASTA GU3 PRO now that Yosemite 10.10.3 has been installed. After removing the USB/SATA card my machine works fine. I e-mailed Caldigit support days ago and have not gotten any reply. So I am cutting my losses now rather than hope for a fix. I should have done that last year the my first GU3 PCI.

Since your set-up is working. My guess is Apricorn has changed the X2 Duo in the process of updating to tandem board. I am going with the RocketU 1144C for USB for $70.

I believe Apricorn has a firmware upgrade but I'm not sure which model. You might consider contacting their Tech. Support people. I've heard they are pretty responsive.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
I believe Apricorn has a firmware upgrade but I'm not sure which model. You might consider contacting their Tech. Support people. I've heard they are pretty responsive.

On 4/13 on contacted Apricot Tech. They responded ASAP. They told me to remove the other PCIe card (FASTA GU3). They did not offer a firmware upgrade. I have also contacted Caldigit. They have yet to respond, they must be busy.
DUH- then I purchased a NEW FASTA GU3 PRO. Same problem. I moved the card order and got my MP to start. However when I connect a SATA drive and it is powered up my MP WILL NOT BOOT-only a GREY SCREEN. I have no way of knowing if it is the PCIe board drivers or the Samsung EVO 1TB but both the new FASTA PRO and the old one act the same when a SATA drive attached and is powered. I also tested 2 SATA drives one new and 1 old. Disconnected everything except the keyboard. What I can say is it is a problem of my own making. Apple system software is built to look for start-up drives in their proper place. So I am expecting when 10.10.4 or 5 comes along I will get the "blank grey screen again".

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
On 4/13 on contacted Apricot Tech. They responded ASAP. They told me to remove the other PCIe card (FASTA GU3). They did not offer a firmware upgrade. I have also contacted Caldigit. They have yet to respond, they must be busy.
DUH- then I purchased a NEW FASTA GU3 PRO. Same problem. I moved the card order and got my MP to start. However when I connect a SATA drive and it is powered up my MP WILL NOT BOOT-only a GREY SCREEN. I have no way of knowing if it is the PCIe board drivers or the Samsung EVO 1TB but both the new FASTA PRO and the old one act the same when a SATA drive attached and is powered. I also tested 2 SATA drives one new and 1 old. Disconnected everything except the keyboard. What I can say is it is a problem of my own making. Apple system software is built to look for start-up drives in their proper place. So I am expecting when 10.10.4 or 5 comes along I will get the "blank grey screen again".

Well, I'll say this, the Solo X2 works fine with the 1144C you have ordered. I had no luck with the early CalDigit Pro card (the newest model). I'm sure that you realize there will be no booting from USB 3.0. The ability to boot from the CalDigit's eSATA was my attraction, I never got that far.

Other than the booting issue (or should I say no booting issue that all PCIe USB 3.0 cards have) I'm beyond satisified with the 1144C.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Well, I'll say this, the Solo X2 works fine with the 1144C you have ordered.

As do my two Duo x2s. I'll also say that Mr. Jackson's review of the RocketU card was the impetuous for my decision to go from the Inteck to the RocketU 1144C. One of the better choices I have made.

Lou

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT

crjackson,
I contacted Apricorn Tech and after reviewing the issue they replaced the Velocity X2 with one with the latest drivers. In the process I also updated the Samsung EVO SSD Drivers. Everything is back and running including my original old Caldigit FASTA GU3 card which I will be updating soon. Have included a system test from after update. SSD test went up to 487 from 456. Good enough.
Bob

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest SSD on SOLO after update.png
    DiskSpeedTest SSD on SOLO after update.png
    718.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
crjackson,
I contacted Apricorn Tech and after again review the issue they replaced the Velocity X2 with one with the latest drivers. I also updated the Samsung EVO SSD Drivers. Everything is back and running including my original old Caldigit FASTA GU3 card which I will be updating soon. Have included a system test. SSD test went up to 487 for 456. Good enough.
Bob

Good, glad you got it resolved. Apricorn is one of the few that actually works to help tech. issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.