Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Benjamindaines
macrumors 68030
 
Benjamindaines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A religiously oppressed state
iLife '06 look with Interface Builder?

Does anyone know how to build an interface for an app using Interface Builder that looks like iLife '06?

--Thanks.
__________________

Benjamindaines is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
MacRumoron
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
you mean like iTunes?

if so look here: http://mattgemmell.com/source/

scroll down to "TunesWindow"
__________________
I am the MacRumoron
Click Here For Proof Told you I'm a moron..
MacRumoron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:41 AM   #3
caveman_uk
Guest
 
caveman_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hitchin, Herts, UK
You can't actually do it using the standard IB palettes. As MacRumoron suggests you have to roll-your-own. This is not at all unusual. The standard UI components the dev tools provide are a very basic set. They're functionally fine but look a bit mundane. Many developers use them as the basis for custom buttons, windows, views and cells etc they write themselves. Apple apps very rarely use just the basic IB components unless the apps are pretty basic.
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:46 AM   #4
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
A fair point, but it doesn't say much for a standardised look and feel when Apple itself doesn't use the UI provided by its own interface builder.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:10 AM   #5
caveman_uk
Guest
 
caveman_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hitchin, Herts, UK
Apple's UIs stopped being consistent ages ago. First there was aqua, then brushed metal, then garageband (wtf happened there?!?!? Wood effect?!?!?? You're bonkers!), then the pro apps UI and now we've got the iApps with the clipped window corners, gradient backgrounds and floating inspector windows. Apple's app developers must never have got invites to the 'Let's all agree on one UI style' meeting. Meanwhile the appkit/IB guys are sitting in their cubes going 'La la la, not listening' when someone tells them 'Hey, maybe we should support some of this new stuff in the dev tools?'

Edit: I'm not criticising the UI skins (well except Garageband's) but some consistency would be nice and I (and every other mac cocoa developer) would like to not have to reinvent the bloody wheel everytime we want to write an app.
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman_uk
Apple's UIs stopped being consistent ages ago. First there was aqua, then brushed metal, then garageband (wtf happened there?!?!? Wood effect?!?!?? You're bonkers!), then the pro apps UI and now we've got the iApps with the clipped window corners, gradient backgrounds and floating inspector windows. Apple's app developers must never have got invites to the 'Let's all agree on one UI style' meeting. Meanwhile the appkit/IB guys are sitting in their cubes going 'La la la, not listening' when someone tells them 'Hey, maybe we should support some of this new stuff in the dev tools?'

Edit: I'm not criticising the UI skins (well except Garageband's) but some consistency would be nice and I (and every other mac cocoa developer) would like to not have to reinvent the bloody wheel everytime we want to write an app.
No, I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't think it's a haphazard decision by Apple, I think they deliberately update the OSX and and iLife look 'n' feels continuously. It may sound strange, but people can often do without a lot of features, but they'll upgrade rather than have a dated 'theme'. (Including the year in the software title a la MS Office has the same effect).

It also differentiates Apple's software from any 3rd party offering.

It's a shame too that if you change a view or window's class in IB, the changes are only reflected when you run the program, not while editing in IB itself. Not having a WYSIWYG feature here rather defeats the purpose of an interface editor to some degree.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:56 PM   #7
HiRez
macrumors 601
 
HiRez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western US
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo
No, I agree wholeheartedly. I also don't think it's a haphazard decision by Apple, I think they deliberately update the OSX and and iLife look 'n' feels continuously. It may sound strange, but people can often do without a lot of features, but they'll upgrade rather than have a dated 'theme'.
I agree. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I believe Apple "hordes" its latest themes for its own uses, only releasing them for use by the masses when they've moved on to something else (although brushed metal seems to be hanging around). They've never released any of the UI looks as found in their pro apps.

EDIT: I just noticed that even Safari's brushed metal window isn't a standard one: the bottom corners aren't rounded (as you would get in IB) and the size grabber is smaller than standard too.
__________________
Go outside, the graphics are amazing!

Last edited by HiRez; Mar 14, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
HiRez is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Josh
macrumors 68000
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: State College, PA
As other posters have pointed out in the past, different UI styles can be a good thing at times.

With several windows cluttering the desktop, it's very easy to tell safari apart from iTunes just by a quick glance (if you're only able to see a very small portion of the window).

I think Apple's UI is consistent, but not consistent in the sense that 'everything looks the same.' Rather, it is consistent in the sense that 'things have different appearances in an expected, regular, way.'
__________________
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
Josh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:54 PM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
With several windows cluttering the desktop, it's very easy to tell safari apart from iTunes just by a quick glance (if you're only able to see a very small portion of the window).

I think Apple's UI is consistent, but not consistent in the sense that 'everything looks the same.' Rather, it is consistent in the sense that 'things have different appearances in an expected, regular, way.'
While that's true, I don't think I'd want every app I have looking different to each other, just for the purpose of making them readily identifiable.

(Another problem is - some of the UI differences aren't just cosmetic. For instance, some of the metal windows were draggable by any part of the window frame, whereas others were only draggable by the title bar, even though there was no visible border defining it. Also (though this has since been fixed) iPhoto's window had a close box, but Cmd-W didn't close it. These kind of inconsistencies are just annoying, though probably outside the scope of this thread).
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning how to use Xcode / interface builder to program in c/++ furycd001 Mac Programming 6 Sep 20, 2011 04:45 AM
Problem with Interface Builder (simple problem) Muncher Mac Programming 2 Jun 3, 2008 08:04 PM
Text spacing problem with Interface Builder swimlikehell Mac Programming 1 May 14, 2008 06:17 PM
Apple Updates iPhone SDK with Interface Builder MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 91 Apr 10, 2008 10:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC