Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020

DP 867 vs. new single 1Ghz

Any thoughts on whether the new 1ghz single processor is a step forward or a step back from the dual 867, speed/performance wise? (putting aside FW800 etc.)
Le Big Mac is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:31 AM   #2
rice_web
macrumors 6502a

The dual-867 is still the better deal.

(1) You can buy a Bluetooth add-on for USB, directly from Apple (unless they stopped selling it)

(2) FireWire 2 PCI cards will likely be released by Sonnet within a couple of months

(3) AirPort Extreme isn't exactly necessary for most PowerMac users--the 1GB ethernet is typically more important.

I might try to pick up an "old" dual-867 from MacMall or elsewhere, they're just too damned impressive for the price.

So, I'd say that the single-1GHz is just about a step backwards, except that the price is only $1499. However, when new iMacs come out, I wouldn't ever suggest putting money down on the single-1GHz PowerMac.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Bradcoe
macrumors regular

supposedly

The newly released powermacs all use the same architecture as the Xserve. Get a ballpark figure by comparing the already released benchmarks for the Xserve 1Ghz (single proc.) vs the dual 867 powermac.
Bradcoe is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:38 PM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Re: supposedly

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradcoe
The newly released powermacs all use the same architecture as the Xserve. Get a ballpark figure by comparing the already released benchmarks for the Xserve 1Ghz (single proc.) vs the dual 867 powermac.

They are running the same basic architecture as the last MDD PowerMacs.

The biggest changes are most likely to the boot ROM and to the Airport connection to I/O.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:55 PM   #5
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

hmm

well,
i run a dual 867 at work with 512 ram and i have a 1ghz Ti with 1 gig of ram and if it weren't for the slow drive in the Ti, it's xBench score is nearly the same as the MDD dual 867... just my experience... and my powerbook has only 133 bus

hope that is of any value!!
technocoy
2.9 Quad FakePro, 2TB, 8Gigs, 2 9800s, BR/HD DVD
technocoy is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 02:30 PM   #6
jmoore
macrumors newbie

about your Dual 867???

I am seriously considering getting a newly discounted Dual 867, but I am worried about this noise problem I keep hearing about. Can you compare your computer noise to any other of the G4 Powermacs?
jmoore is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 02:42 PM   #7
rice_web
macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, don't forget about the overclockability of the dual-867. Many have gotten the chips to 1GHz with the standard cooling.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 02:54 PM   #8
maluscanis
macrumors member

THe noise level is bad. I had one for a month before I sold it. They make it impossible to watch a movie or listen to music...I would sleep the computer every chance I got to eliminate the noise. But they are fast. I would get a new one because of the noise level correction - you aren't going to find an old one for much less than a new one will cost you and trust me, the noise will most likely annoy you on the old one.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 03:51 PM   #9
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

yeah

IT's FREAKIN' LOUD ALRIGHT... like your at the airport
2.9 Quad FakePro, 2TB, 8Gigs, 2 9800s, BR/HD DVD
technocoy is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:11 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Re: yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by technocoy
IT's FREAKIN' LOUD ALRIGHT... like your at the airport
Guys it wasn't that loud, I mean I don't put my ear right next to it but it wasn't as bad as all of you say it is.

Anyway it is not hard to move your powermac like under a desk and the monitor above the desk...

You can thank me that I am a genuios. (duh, I spelled wrong)
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:37 PM   #11
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Re: Re: supposedly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Baked

They are running the same basic architecture as the last MDD PowerMacs.

The biggest changes are most likely to the boot ROM and to the Airport connection to I/O.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding yer post, but this is what is says over at Apple, "Cutting-edge Xserve-based system architecture gives the Power Mac G4 a tremendous performance boost."

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 05:02 PM   #12
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Re: Re: Re: supposedly

Quote:
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Maybe I'm misunderstanding yer post, but this is what is says over at Apple, "Cutting-edge Xserve-based system architecture gives the Power Mac G4 a tremendous performance boost."

Lethal
But they said that when the MDD machines were first released, and as DDR makes it's way through each updated machine it still is true.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/aug/13pmg4.html

People forget way too easily... or were oblivious to it the first time it was used in the PR news.

X-Serve marketing doesn't mean anything new, it's just re-hyping a speed bumped MMD with some updated features.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Jan 29, 2003 at 05:05 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:41 AM   #13
MacBram
macrumors member

Yeah, I don't see anything to indicate any new changes in architecture.

I compared two tables side by side (Apple UK): one from the current Apple PM spec page, and the same one for the previous PM's (still posted at our local dealer).

The price is the same--hasn't dropped in the low end models.
Only differences seem to be as follows:
• the new 1GHz has 64MB video RAM vs 32 (but same card)
• the new one has one Firewire2 port, and is AE and BT ready
• the new one is reportedly quieter

BUT the Dual 867 would seem to have more processing power, particularly for optimized programs such as FCP.

On the mid-range models, the price has dropped, but the superdrive has been replaced with the combo drive again.
MacBram is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:52 AM   #14
MacBram
macrumors member

sorry for double post...

my conclusion to my previous post:

Unless someone can definitively say that the new 1GHz uses a newer Motorola chip that more effectively uses DDR RAM (and no-one can ever seem to prive it), I would stick with the Dual 867.
MacBram is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:39 AM   #15
AssassinOfGates
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AssassinOfGates
Quote:
Originally posted by maluscanis
THe noise level is bad. I had one for a month before I sold it. They make it impossible to watch a movie or listen to music...I would sleep the computer every chance I got to eliminate the noise. But they are fast. I would get a new one because of the noise level correction - you aren't going to find an old one for much less than a new one will cost you and trust me, the noise will most likely annoy you on the old one.
I own a Dual 867, and a bunch of extras... and I too listen to music, watch movies, and play games, and it's not that loud ! The firmware upgrade kinda helped, and its only when that second fan kicks in that you start to hear it, which is very rare in my experiences. The only think to complain about is my minifridge's compressor noise.

The Dual 867 is fine, just set it under the table and it won't bother you.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers