Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
that would be a way to get me so much closer to buying an intel mac. that and i want A NEW DESIGN!!!:mad:

i am a little skeptical about this, but if its true, i would probably end up getting it (or buying if he wants money:( )

we'll just have to wait and see.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Who knows. The pictures are all garbage and blurry, but the pictures really don't mean anything. If other people can get it to work by following his steps, then that's something.

And I'm sure Apple will stop that as soon as it works anyway. And even if they don't, warranties will be voided left and right.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
It's worth noting that Narf has reached the Windows XP desktop. He'll be sending his solution to Colin, and Colin will be sending the instructions to a group of 9 Testers (I'm most likely in this group). Once the instructions are confirmed to work, then he gets his award.

OSXBook has also made "BAMBIOS", a BIOS which had been modified from Bochs to boot any legacy OS. See this link:
http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/legacyboot/

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
calebjohnston said:
And I'm sure Apple will stop that as soon as it works anyway. And even if they don't, warranties will be voided left and right.

does microsoft (or whoever deals with warrantees) void your warrantee if you install linux on your windows pc. i think not.

also, i have a question about this. is it dual boot, or boot instead. Dual boot and ms not making a native speed vpc soon = my buying/downloading this.:D

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
yankeefan24 said:
also, i have a question about this. is it dual boot, or boot instead. Dual boot and ms not making a native speed vpc soon = my buying/downloading this.:D

In the end it has to dual boot.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
This is just the first try and if it is really a very good one at that. I would expect after he gets his reward that he will release it and then anyone and everyone that can code or do something with this will start working on the second wave.

If this does turn out to be real i will probably end up selling my iBook and iMac and buying a merom MBP and trying this on on it. Ideally i would love to see this as a thing like rosetta. *fingers crossed*

HC Penniwicket

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2006
Too bad i can't afford a new intel mac...

...it'd be my dream to use OS X for everything, but so many games don't run on it. Best of both worlds?

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
It's possibly a fake.. I mean he could have taken a screenshot of a windows computer, set that as his desktop, hid the dock, and taken a picture. For all we know that could be an iMac G5

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
mikemodena said:
It's possibly a fake.. I mean he could have taken a screenshot of a windows computer, set that as his desktop, hid the dock, and taken a picture. For all we know that could be an iMac G5

He's been in contact with Colin (person who started the contest) regarding his team's work throughout the whole thing. I seriously doubt that he is posting a fake. After all, before he gets the money, he has to provide instructions which will be tested.

I really doubt Narf is posting fake photos.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
calebjohnston said:
And I'm sure Apple will stop that as soon as it works anyway.
Apple reps (mostly Phil Schiller) have repeatedly stated that they wouldn't stop this. Apple have even gone so far as to endorse non-Apple operating systems on their hardware before (see Yellow Dog for a current example).
And even if they don't, warranties will be voided left and right.
For running software? :confused:

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
calebjohnston said:

I dont think this will happen. if anything they probably want this to happen. Most of the money Apple maes comes form hardware sales and if people can install XP on the shiny new iMac then why should apple care. They already sold them the hardware and made there money. Obviously they wont give tech help for any problems but that should be expected.

This is a good thing cause it should make more people switch. They can buy themsleves an iMac and if they just cant get comfortable with OS X then they can partition and install windows to use.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
This is a good thing cause it should make more people switch. They can buy themsleves an iMac and if they just cant get comfortable with OS X then they can partition and install windows to use.

It does give the user that option, but if it is a friend of mine, he/she has just lost any free technical support that I might have been willing to give them, and I am not cheap :p

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Remember how Apple announced that they won't provided the means to run windows on a mac, but they "won't do anything to stop it."
:cool:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
iMeowbot said:
For running software? :confused:
With EFI the line between software and firmware seem a lot blurrier. Much of the instructions required to boot the system reside on the HD and may require significant modification to boot XP.

Don't know much about narf's approach, but it was implied that solme pretty low level mods may be required to either the Mac or the XP install. Also, does BAMBIOS count strictly as software or is it more akin to firmware?

B

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
balamw said:
Don't know much about narf's approach, but it was implied that solme pretty low level mods may be required to either the Mac or the XP install. Also, does BAMBIOS count strictly as software or is it more akin to firmware?
From what little information the IBM people have provided, they are starting a little boot loader (akin to lilo etc.) from the existing EFI system, then executing their BIOS, which in turn boots the operating system. An approach like that could all be on disk and leave the original firmware alone, and it's a sensible way to go since the Macintel hardware is pretty standard intel stuff.

From what little narf has said it seems to be much of the same. EFI is pretty flexible like that, there may be no reflashing involved for either solution.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
can also be a imac g5 running vpc at full-screen :rolleyes:

hope not. the only reason why i want windows on my mac. is the games. no other reason other than some .exe file that has no mac alternative.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
IMO, this could be either:

1- Real, the guy actually found a way to boot Windows XP on a Mac.
2- Fake, it's just an iMac G5 with iSight running Virtual PC in full screen mode.

Oh, I just noticed steelfist's post :eek:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Arcus said:
Did he take the money and run?
Doubtful IMHO. He probably spent quite a bit of $ on the bandwidth bill, so his net take wouldn't be worth the effort.

UPDATE: The site is back up though the forums are not active.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.