Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Back when the rMB was announced, many people were talking about how small and light it is. Some were even suggesting it replaces an iPad. What about now? What do you think of the size? Are your opinions any different now than they were before...speaking strictly of the MacBook's size?

In some reviews, it has been mentioned that the new MacBook "carries" like an iPad...in that it's a lightweight machine that is just one slab of aluminium. Any thoughts about that? I think the iPad still has its place, but I can totally see the rMB now allowing some users to just go with this and an iPhone.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I come from a 11" MBA, so not really. But the design makes it looks smaller than it really is. First, the proportions are different. It's not much, but it being a bit narrower and a bit deeper is noticeable. I think the biggest impact comes from the keyboard being edge to edge with less space in between the keys. It makes the whole thing look very small. Until you look at the screen. I was seriously awed when I looked over at the 11" MBAs - they looked so bulky. Kind of like when you see pics of old laptops.

Closed, it looks a bit like an iPad 1 with the rounded back. I didn't really notice the weight difference, but then, I didn't get to carry it around either, and I didn't try to hold it by the back as I usually hold my closed MBA. The security cables were very short, I think they were tangled beneath the table.

When you look at it from the side, it really looks sleek and thin, mostly because there is only one port. For all the heat it's gotten for that, it really does a lot for the overall appearance and feel of the machine. Plus it's like the USB-C connector was designed for Apple. I'm glad they lost the ugly USB-A port :)

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I noticed the weight between the 11" MBA and rMB. Both were very light, but the rMB seemed more balanced. Maybe because there's a more even distribution of weight.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I noticed the weight between the 11" MBA and rMB. Both were very light, but the rMB seemed more balanced. Maybe because there's a more even distribution of weight.

Yep. It's probably balanced better because it's mostly batteries all around the inside, and the logic board is so small that it's weight is negligible. The air has a much bigger logic board, complete with heat pipes and fan.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA

Yep. It's probably balanced better because it's mostly batteries all around the inside, and the logic board is so small that it's weight is negligible. The air has a much bigger logic board, complete with heat pipes and fan.

Right. The feel was kind of different, and I think you're right about why. Plus the screen is probably lighter.

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
yes, definitely

I had a 13" MBA and went to an 11" loved the size. Didn't love the screen. Fonts rendered just a bit too small for me (on the verge of needing reading glasses). I went back to a 13" MBA for personal use but also used and 15" retina MBP and 13" retina MBP for work. So, I do know and appreciate the retina displays.

I went to the store to check out the new MacBook (assuming I was confirming that I shouldn't buy a new laptop) and ordered one about an hour later. The size is great and it weighs less than my iPad in a clamcase

The screen is fantastic. Typing will be fine. Port situation will be fine for me (although I did order the multiport adapter). I do use Lightroom but will still do most of that with the MBP and thunderbolt monitors.

Going to sell my 13" MBA.

What I really wish for now is a multi device charging brick that can handle multiple devices. Apple wants us to have iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, BT headphones and MacBook. They generally all need to be charged at night and I would like to charge them all one one device. I use a charger from Anker now and even though I can use a USB -> USB-c cable it doesn't seem like it will have the capability to charge the MacBook.

51Wa2a17P6L._SL1000_.jpg

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
I wrote it in another post, after looking and trying out the 12" rMB my 2014 11" MBA looks old and clunky.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
What I really wish for now is a multi device charging brick that can handle multiple devices. Apple wants us to have iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, BT headphones and MacBook. They generally all need to be charged at night and I would like to charge them all one one device. I use a charger from Anker now and even though I can use a USB -> USB-c cable it doesn't seem like it will have the capability to charge the MacBook.

I completely agree about this. How are we supposed to charge all of our devices? Especially if you want to do it from one power outlet that only has 2 connections. You could always buy a connector that has 5-6 outlets, but that's still a lot of power chargers to have and/or carry around.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Its an awesome build, so sleek, thin and light. You can literally pick it up with two fingers (thumb and index) rather easily with the lid open or closed. The screen size is still too small for my liking, thats the only thing I wasn't too thrilled about. I would gladly sacrifice another half pound to get a 13 inch display. That would be perfect. This as it stands is pretty close. Looking forward to more time with it.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
No I am not impressed after seeing it in person. I played around with one and don't like it anymore now than when I first heard about it here. Maybe good for some. But not me.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm more impressed by the trackpad, which is still blowing my mind all these hours later. It's an incredible feat of engineering. I love it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Sounds like I'm the only one who hasn't been able to check it out in the store yet. I'll be able to do that later in the week. I'm pretty excited about the rMB already, so I wonder what my takeaway will be after having seen it in person.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I had a 13" MBA and went to an 11" loved the size. Didn't love the screen. Fonts rendered just a bit too small for me (on the verge of needing reading glasses). I went back to a 13" MBA for personal use but also used and 15" retina MBP and 13" retina MBP for work. So, I do know and appreciate the retina displays.

I always find it interesting, you are not the only one to say this about the 11" MBA's screen, but I can't tell any difference?

When you calculate out the PPI of each screen, the 11" only renders the UI 5% smaller than the 13". I think it is an optical illusion or a mental expectation/perception that you are experiencing or experienced, because in reality there is physically virtually no size difference between the two.

Similarly, the default scaling resolution on the MB renders only at 107% the UI size of the 11" MBA, and at the 1440x900 option it will display the UI at 5% smaller than the 11" MBA. Granted this is retina so it will be sharper than the MBA display, which makes a big difference.

Maybe there is a line that is being crossed right at this level that some are more sensitive to than others depending on how good/bad one's eyesight is?

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I always find is interesting, you are not the only one to say this about the 11" MBA's screen, but I can't tell any difference?

When you calculate out the PPI of each screen, the 11" only renders the UI 5% smaller than the 13". I think it is an optical illusion or a mental expectation/perception that you are experiencing or experienced, because in reality there is physically virtually no size difference between the two.

Similarly, the default scaling resolution on the MB renders only at 107% the UI size of the 11" MBA, and at the 1440x900 option it will display the UI at 5% smaller than the 11" MBA. Granted this is retina so it will be sharper than the MBA display, which makes a big difference.

Maybe there is a line that is being crossed right at this level that some are more sensitive to than others depending on how good/bad one's eyesight is?

A lot of people had an issue with the 11" Air having a 16:9 ratio.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Can't wait to try one out. Will make my 13 inch non retina Pro feel like a brick. This new MacBook is the machine I wanted for a while.

----------

No I am not impressed after seeing it in person. I played around with one and don't like it anymore now than when I first heard about it here. Maybe good for some. But not me.

Even if you don't want the machine based on specs how could you not find the design impressive?

----------

A lot of people had an issue with the 11" Air having a 16:9 ratio.

Good point. SO GLAD that Apple went with 16:10 with the new MacBook, especially being that it's a consumer line. I like 16:9 on the desktop but it's awful on portables.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Subjectively, I thought the rMB felt a lot lighter and thinner than the 11" MBA (I've owned two) than I would have expected based on comparing actual dimensions and weight on paper.

With regard to the 11" MBA, I really disliked the display but resolution was not the issue. The viewing angles and color accuracy bothered me. The retina display on the rMB is worth the price of admission.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I think I'm gonna have to agree. I bought the 11.6 air and have been using it this weekend. Love the small form factor can't stand the screen. I have realized I don't need an iPad anymore. Gonna get rid of everything and use a 10% coupon and order a 12 through best buy. Hopefully if I ger space grey it won't take long to come.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I thought the design was great. My biggest problem was the choice of resolutions. I am so use to having more desktop space. Even the "more space" option is not enough for me, coming from at 13" pro where I use the largest resolution.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I thought the design was great. My biggest problem was the choice of resolutions. I am so use to having more desktop space. Even the "more space" option is not enough for me, coming from at 13" pro where I use the largest resolution.

Yes. The "more space [1]" setting on the 13" rMBP is closer to the rMB at its (only) "more space" setting, I think.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes. The "more space [1]" setting on the 13" rMBP is closer to the rMB at its (only) "more space" setting, I think.

If you select "more space" on the new macbook it is the same as the 13" pro default resolution. The 13" pro has 2 additional resolutions after retina, the new macbook has one.

It really is hard to go back to a smaller desktop when you are use to having multiple windows open, side by side. I had this problem when tried the 11" air a few years ago.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you select "more space" on the new macbook it is the same as the 13" pro default resolution. The 13" pro has 2 additional resolutions after retina, the new macbook has one.

My recollection looking at the numbers was that the first "more space" setting on the rMBP was closest to the "more space" setting on the rMB. I could be remembering incorrectly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My recollection looking at the numbers was that the first "more space" setting on the rMBP was closest to the "more space" setting on the rMB. I could be remembering incorrectly.

I will have to check it out again today. It is such a nice looking machine. I really wish they had them available. I would just impulse buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.