Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Fitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
In the next week or so I'm going to replace my 2011 model Mac Mini for a new 2015 Mac Mini from Apple.com.

I only have one monitor so it will be difficult to use Migration Assistant at home here to transfer all my files from the old Mac Mini to the brand new one.

Once I get the new Mac Mini, do you think a Genius at an Apple Retail Store would be willing to perform the Migration for me if I bring both Mac Minis to an appointment?

Thank you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you keep a backup drive?

It could be either a Time Machine backup or a cloned backup such as those created by CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

At the appropriate point in the installation/setup process, the installer will ask if you wish to migrate data from an older computer or drive.

Backup the old Mini just before you set up the new one, and have the backup drive "close-at-hand" and ready to connect...

Bill Fitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Unfortunately, I do not have a back up drive.

Per Pieterr's comment, does this mean that the migration can be done over my wireless network as long as the old Mac Mini is turned on? I suspect so but just want to double-check.

If so, I'm sure the wireless network migration option will move a lot slower than using a Time Machine backup.

Thank you!

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Very Painful And Inconvenient

Unfortunately, I do not have a back up drive.

Per Pieterr's comment, does this mean that the migration can be done over my wireless network as long as the old Mac Mini is turned on? I suspect so but just want to double-check.

If so, I'm sure the wireless network migration option will move a lot slower than using a Time Machine backup.

Thank you!

Say Bill! :eek:

Get a backup drive ASAP. Very soon you will have a brand new Mac mini. This situation is one example of how Time Machine or CCC could improve your computing experience. Even under warranty, it would be very painful and inconvenient to encounter one of the more serious backup required scenarios.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes!

Yes, you can migrate the data over WiFi.

You won't need more than one monitor.

But as previously mentioned, take this chance to buy an inexpensive 3.5" USB drive, back up the old computer, then restore to the new one.

Then you'll have a reliable backup solution, too.

And yes, backing up and then restoring via USB is going to be much faster than restoring over WiFi. Much, much faster.

Bill Fitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Celerondon,

Yes, I am going to buy the Airport Time Capsule.

btw, the new Mini will be equipped with Flash Storage so that should be pretty good.

Thanks!

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Flopping for the Fishrrman

Celerondon,

Yes, I am going to buy the Airport Time Capsule.

btw, the new Mini will be equipped with Flash Storage so that should be pretty good.

Thanks!

Fantastic Bill!

That Time Capsule will do just fine. With any luck, it will save you from “flopping” for the Fishrrman. (Perform an Advanced Search for “fish out of water” in the “Mac mini” forum to see what I mean.)

Which new mini model are you after? Did you make a decision yet? Either way, I agree that an SSD (flash storage) will improve your experience.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not exactly the same situation, but I recently set-up a new rMBP for someone using Migration Assistant from her old, c. 2007 iMac.

I booted the iMac in TDM, plugged a Thunderbolt-Firewire dongle into the rMBP, and used a FW800 to FW400 cable to connect the two computers together. The whole process took a little over an hour.

Since your 2011 has Thunderbolt, you can do everything without all the dongles and special cables I used.

Boot your old Mini in TDM by connecting a keyboard and holding down "T" while powering up. If you have a display connected(not necessary) you will see both the Firewire and Thunderbolt logos bouncing around the screen. The only thing you really need to boot it is a keyboard, and you can even disconnect that once you have it started.

Connect it to your new Mini via a Thunderbolt cable. Your new Mini should recognize the old one as a mounted volume(essentially as if it's an external hard drive). You can then use Migration Assistant on the new one and select the old one as the source drive.

It shouldn't take terribly long, although the biggest bottleneck will be the speed of the platter drive in your old Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.