Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I pre-ordered the Collectors' Edition, had some computer issues and then only had machines that couldn't run it well, so I never really got into it. To satisfy my Diablo urge, I played Torchlight II. Now that's no longer an issue. So how is Diablo 3 today - especially starting new? Is pretty much everyone on the expansion now and not the original?

I'll probably play it anyways, but just wondering how the community is.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I pre-ordered the Collectors' Edition, had some computer issues and then only had machines that couldn't run it well, so I never really got into it. To satisfy my Diablo urge, I played Torchlight II. Now that's no longer an issue. So how is Diablo 3 today - especially starting new? Is pretty much everyone on the expansion now and not the original?

I'll probably play it anyways, but just wondering how the community is.

I just got back into D3 and taking a break from WOW. Blizzard games typically do well on the Mac. D3 on my 2010 13" MBP plays just fine.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The expansion is heavily recommended though, makes the game much more interesting IMHO.

Is there any benefit to owning the expansion while playing through the content of the original game? I am thinking more of added features the improve the experience more than any added classes, etc.

I just trashed WoW myself after many years of it off and on. I think this last expansion's grind did me in.

I've yet to even play my copy of the original Diablo III though.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Is there any benefit to owning the expansion while playing through the content of the original game? I am thinking more of added features the improve the experience more than any added classes, etc.

I just trashed WoW myself after many years of it off and on. I think this last expansion's grind did me in.

I've yet to even play my copy of the original Diablo III though.

I wonder the same thing. I also assume they split the expansion vs. regular games online as I have yet to find a single game to join, but always create and hang out solo. Which is fine for now - I might as well get reacquainted with the old/new layout and game play on my own. I'm also still wrapping up Act I, so it's not like I've gone very far either. However, eventually, I'd prefer a little co-op action to make the action more enjoyable for longer times (and quicker).

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not sure if the new features of the game (bounties etc) are available if you don't own the expansion. I recall they included the new areas of the game, but I've stopped playing long ago, so not sure.

However, the most interesting part of the expansion is the new class. I'd like to know the current status of the game as well, by someone who still plays.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
It's still a waste of time.

Maybe that's what you want, maybe not. I've always figured that you shouldn't feel like you're wasting time by playing games, and Blizzard has managed to repeatedly remind me of exactly this time and time again. I had a full account jam packed with various characters and builds that I'd spent months perfecting, and when I quit only two or three of them were still reasonably viable for upper level (+40) GR play. The rest of them had been "nerfed" by Blizzard, making the majority of those items worthless overnight.

Again, I know games exist to waste time. What I don't appreciate is putting in the time and effort for something awesome, then having everything change on me rendering those items useless. At that point, I can only raise my eyebrows and think "well, why did I just waste that time? It wasn't very fun doing it, and while the reward was awesome for a while now they've taken it away from me".

Don't get me wrong, RoS was pretty good and fixed a lot of the issues in the game (except for the new bind-on-account crap, which makes things like gold utterly worthless once you get Boon of the Hoarder and prevents other players from taking shortcuts). Something just started rubbing me the wrong way in the end. Eventually I found something better to do and stopped playing D3 entirely.

As far as the community is concerned, it's basically dead. You'll have some luck joining a clan and power levelling people and stuff, but pub games tend to suck *hard*. Unless you know people online, don't expect to have a good time- you'll probably land up grinding away in SP instead.

-SC

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I respectfully disagree. I think the game is in a great place and is extremely fun. More fun than when it launched. I play mostly public games and don't have a problem and never have problems joining games. The community may be dead for the non-expansion folk though. That I don't know.

The community is great in my experience, and I'd say the expansion is totally necessary as most of the fun stuff is what's new. If you can find it while it's on sale, grab it! $20 for hours of entertainment is worth it to me. I still spend 10ish hours a week playing.

Granted, I'm not much of a gamer. I like Diablo and that's mostly it. So take my opinions less seriously if you like more than just Diablo :)

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
May 3, 2014
not sure about that chaos joybit game... but if you want a real d3 clone + mmo look on youtube for "lineage eternal"

if you live under a rock, lineage is a universe that is very popular in south korea... and this version is developed there as well, but the thing that separates it from d3 is that its an mmo, it allows up to 20 players for "raids" and 500 player siege pvp.

;D

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
It's great! I enjoyed it enough playing through the first time but the expansion really took it to another level. I am admittedly a casual player, but the loot balance is much better than it was back in the real money auction house days. I can play an hour and get lots of loot. I don't have a lot of time to play games, but I go to this when I don't feel like doing anything else. Love just the loot progression and playing Hardcore mode (yes, I'm a casual who plays exclusively hardcore).

I'd recommend playing Acts I-IV to see if you like it. The expansion is worth it but there's no sense buying it if you don't like the game. The additions are also best after playing most of the story (Adventure Mode, Seasons).

I think the community is fine but I don't have time or patience to grind at high levels. I prefer fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.