Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I'm planning to get an external HD from LaCie.
I'm currently considering,
LaCie Mobile Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche (USB2.0)
40GB 5400RPM
50GB 4200RPM
Both for the same price. What's RPM and will it make any difference at all?
Plus, i'm considering this one as well,
LaCie Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche (USB2.0)
80GB for the same price as well.
The problem is, the Mobile HD doesn't need an external power and this one needs one. Which one should i really get?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you want a USB2 LaCie drive, and like Porsche's design, I would rather go for the much cheaper Desktop version which has a 3.5 disk that's faster (7200 rpm) and has much more storage space, without being that much bigger, physically.

I'm probably going to get a 200GB version of that drive this week. (I actually prefer Seagate's external combo drives, but I can get a brand new 200 GB USB2 LaCie Porsche for NOK 500 ≈ US$ 75, and I need some extra space for my poor old iBook now, and don't have too much money... :eek:)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
what's the difference between Desktop version and Mobile version. Is it gonna cause more trouble if i buy the Desktop version because it needs to be plugged into a power source?
What's the RPM thing? Will there be any difference?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
As far as I can tell, the Mobile versions uses 2.5" laptop drives, which typically runs at 4200/5400 rpm (the speed the disk spins at) and have up to 160 GB storage space (the newest and most expensive Seagate), while the Desktop version uses 3.5" disks typically found in desktop computers. They are cheaper and usually runs on 7200 rpm and come in sizes up to 500 GB.

The desktop disks are, as you can see, cheaper and faster (even if there are some 7200 rpm laptop disks, too, out there) and has much more capacity. The downside is power consumption: A laptop disk can often get enough power from the USB/Firewire connection while the desktop drives typically need external power.

So if you want to be ultra-portable then get a Mobile (i.e. laptop) drive, but if you can endure an extra power cord then the Desktop models will give you much better value for money... :)

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
I would not buy a Lacie. I had 3 of them and they all died on me. I brought them since they looked cool.

I would get one of those Pocket drives from firelite and you dont have to drag around a power cable.

DarkNetworks said:
I'm planning to get an external HD from LaCie.
I'm currently considering,
LaCie Mobile Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche (USB2.0)
40GB 5400RPM
50GB 4200RPM
Both for the same price. What's RPM and will it make any difference at all?
Plus, i'm considering this one as well,
LaCie Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche (USB2.0)
80GB for the same price as well.
The problem is, the Mobile HD doesn't need an external power and this one needs one. Which one should i really get?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I actually went out and bought the above mentioned desktop version of the 200 GB USB LaCie Porsche disk:

First impression: Very nice. More quiet then I expected and reasonably fast for an external USB2 disk. I made a couple of partitions, transferred my +3GB iPhoto library (which finally has some expansion room) and used SilverKeeper to make a complete clone of my iBook HD (wit more that 45 GB data). At the end both disk and iBook CPU were pretty hot, but neither "complained".

And it matches my external DVD burner 100%... :)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
What's SilverKeeper? I've an iBook. Can i install Mac OS X on the external HD and boot and run my computer from there? Will it work using my iBook? So does it get really hot quickly?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I'd recommend you buy a nice seagate internal drive and put it in a nice enclosure. It'll end up costing about the same, but you'll get a 5 year warranty on the HD instead of a 1 year warranty on most externals.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
DarkNetworks said:
What's SilverKeeper? I've an iBook. Can i install Mac OS X on the external HD and boot and run my computer from there? Will it work using my iBook? So does it get really hot quickly?
SilverKeeper is a free backup program provided by LaCie with most burners and hard drives (or you can download it from LaCie). With that you can make a copy of your iBook's HD on any external HD (large enough), and if it's a Firewire drive you can boot from that external drive if you need that. (My old Pismo could boot from a USB drive, too, but I don't think the iBooks can do this, though I haven't tried, yet).

When you make the initial backup of everything on your HD, the external drive will get hot. Copying lets say 45 GB of data will do that to any external drive (which is why some enclosures come with it's own fan) like this one I mentioned in another thread (which seems like a good deal, BTW, even it the enclosure is butt ugly) which is a good Seagate disk bundled with an enclosure, just as adk recommends. ;)

If you copy that amount of data over to a USB2 drive it will also get your iBook CPU very hot, because USB is much more CPU dependant than Firewire, which has more of the guidance system on the Firewire module itself (which is one reason why a Firewire chip takes much more space than a USB chip ;)). But of cause, it won't harm your iBook (the fans just kick in), and shouldn't harm the disk.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Acehigh said:
I would not buy a Lacie. I had 3 of them and they all died on me. I brought them since they looked cool.

I would get one of those Pocket drives from firelite and you dont have to drag around a power cable.
You should not get a mac 3 of t hem have died on someone and they got them because they looked cool.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
i wouldn't mind going into FireWire even if i had to pay extra but i don't think my PC is FireWire compatitable...

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
Video Editing

If you are going to be doing a lot of video editing, make sure the drive spins at 7200 RPM. 4200 or 5400 is not good for video editing.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

iPhil

macrumors 68040
CanadaRAM said:
"My Desktop PC doesn't have a Firewire Port" already stated earlier in the thread... seems fairly definitive...

Why i wanted to know is: there might be a pci fw card that he could install into the pc for the higher speed than USB for like video editing etc :eek:

edit: since he asked about fw in post #13: i wouldn't mind going into FireWire even if i had to pay extra but i don't think my PC is FireWire compatitable...

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
iphil said:
whats the spec on the pc ??:confused: :eek:

Celeron 800Mhz with 256MB of RAM. It's a very old PC.

I don't really do video editing on my PC, i just need to transfer my BT files. I do most of my video editing work on my iBook. As far as an additional PCI, i doubt as i think i've used most of it. i've one WiFi Card in there, one Network Card and one Video Card in there already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.