Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Let's say I have my iCloud Photo Library set up and all uploaded, etc., and the master library file being wherever it is.

Now, what would happen if I were to reformat my computer, reinstall OS X, move the library file, or buy a new computer? Would Photos then see the library, see my iCloud credentials, and merge the library, or re-upload all pictures?

I ask because if I have a 40GB+ library, I wouldn't want to have it re-upload all pictures just because I moved the library file or bought a new computer there.

Can anyone tell me anecdotally what happens in those scenarios? Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When you sign into iCloud on the new machine, it will sync your photos with those in the cloud, just like it does with Music, Contacts, and Calendars. If the photos are restored from backup I assume the sync would be quick. If you start with an empty Photos library, it will download them from iCloud.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit nervous because when I originally uploaded about 5,000~ pictures then an error occurred, I repaired my library with Photos. After completion of the repair, Photos wanted to re-upload ALL my photos all over again, even though they were already in iCloud!

That's why I'm not sure what the standard behavior is when moving the library file to a different location, either on the same computer or a new one, but using the same iCloud credentials. Can anyone with real life experience confirm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.