Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, MacRumors reader Andrew Turko sent an email to Apple CEO Tim Cook sharing his thoughts on the launch of the Apple Watch and its limitation to online orders only, and he received a response from Apple's executive team that sheds some light on Apple's concern over its launch plans and the potential for Apple Watch devices to ship out ahead of their prospective shipping dates.

Many people have been concerned with the long wait times for the Apple Watch, which saw shipping estimates slip for many models less than an hour after it became available for pre-order. All models sold out in less than six hours, and orders placed today won't ship for months. There are a lot of buyers who are facing delivery times than span into June, July, and August, but Apple believes that some of these orders could ship out earlier than their estimated shipping dates.

Apple-Watch-800x403.jpg
The Apple executive team member that spoke to Andrew referenced long wait times for earlier devices like the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, noting that shipping estimates were often much longer than actual wait times and suggesting that the same thing might happen with the Apple Watch.
[Apple] said that June preorders will most likely ship sooner than June. Of course he didn't make any promises, but that's the reason Apple is announcing such an extended ship date after all - to avoid disappointment through false guarantees.
Andrew's email focused on Apple's decision to advertise April 24th as the Apple Watch launch day despite the fact that it won't be purchasable in store on that date, a point that stood out to both Apple's executive team and Tim Cook, who personally read the email.
"I think it'd be silly not to believe that there will be queues lined up around the globe on launch day if the "online exclusive" information regarding the (false) advertisement of a launch day isn't spread soon and fast."
The email echoed some of the problems Apple executives are debating, and Andrew was told the discussion over in-store stock on launch day and the advertisement of the 4/24 launch date for the Apple Watch are being considered by Apple with "great concern." Apple said it doesn't want people lining up at stores if there's no stock available to purchase.

Due to supply constraints and the desire to provide the best purchasing experience for customers, Apple has so far decided that all Apple Watch orders must be placed online. There will be no walk-in Apple Watch purchases available on April 24, unless the company's plans change. Andrew was told Apple's plans are not final, but it is unclear if Apple would be able to sell Apple Watch units in-store on launch day given the significant supply issues.

The executive Andrew spoke with said Apple "cares deeply" about the launch experience and hopes to improve the way people wait in line through the new Apple Watch reservation system. Online-only reservations are new territory for Apple in the United States, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the company could revert back to traditional sales methods if its Apple Watch sales experiment does not work out.

Andrew's full email can be read on the MacRumors forums, as can more detail on the response that he received from Apple.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Concerns About Apple Watch Launch: Deliveries Could Arrive Sooner Than Estimated

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Oh, now you've done it, Andrew. You're email went front page and everyone's going to queue up in front of the Apple Stores on the morning of the 24th in the hopes of snagging a few possible WATCHes in stock.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I've found this to be true for many of their products. Shipping times for my customers can say 2-3 weeks, but they generally receive their devices or computers within 1-2 weeks.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And Andrew was basically ridiculed in the thread he started about the email he sent. Kudos to you Andrew for sending it. I for one am glad that you got a response. Don't let the naysayers discourage you.

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Many people have been concerned with the long wait times for the Apple Watch, which saw shipping estimates slip for many models less than an hour after it became available for pre-order.

Or in the case of those who ordered the 42mm space gray Apple Watch Sport, shipping estimates slipped minutes after becoming available. 12:02 AM order and it was at 4-6 weeks in the US.

jroman

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Here is to hoping that the same thing that i experienced waiting for my iphone 6 to be delivered.. When i ordered it it had a long delay but it was delivered on launch day.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Nice job Dude!

Also, I think that it is so awesome that Apple took the time to respond to a consumer. I don't know of any other companies that do that. The executive team responded, which makes this even cooler!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Ship those 4/24-5/8 orders out on 5/8 and use the early stock for retail store sales ;).

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I really do hope it won't be as worse as the current expected delivery states. Especially considering there still are a lot more countries to follow, like the Netherlands (unless of course they save a batch for these countries, but I'm not familiar with this kind of approach). I am looking forward to be able to pre-order the Apple Watch here (and I would be happy already to have that part done), but it would be a pity if I had to wait until August or something. :p

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
If this is true then it does show that Apple have made a right mess of this launch. There seems to be so much uncertainty amongst the Apple execs about production and roll out of their new product.

This is normally their forte and they have had years of experience of product launches. I am not sure how they got it so wrong....oh hang on, the one thing thats changed is the introduction of that woman, Angela.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
While I was super impressed with the product, Apple definitely could have simplified the launch process. Perhaps they could've given people hands on time from 4/10 - 4/23 and made it available on 4/24 for online and retail orders.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
It's great that they responded, but they really haven't said anything. The watches 'could' ship out early. That's basically what most of us have been saying from the beginning. Until the status changes on our order status page, none of this means anything.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Ouch that is a long wait. I will eventually get one but not until the end of the year

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
While I was super impressed with the product, Apple definitely could have simplified the launch process. Perhaps they could've given people hands on time from 4/10 - 4/23 and made it available on 4/24 for online and retail orders.

Exactly my thoughts. There should have been a grace period between the start of try-on appointments and the beginning of pre-orders. They probably would have been able to avoid many returns as well.

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
Why are people bitching about the 'complicated' launch process? What is so complicated about it? Pre-orders start on 4/10 at 12:01am PDT and the watch can only be purchased online. There, simple as ****.

If you want to touch one, make an appointment and come to the store.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Or in the case of those who ordered the 42mm space gray Apple Watch Sport, shipping estimates slipped minutes after becoming available. 12:02 AM order and it was at 4-6 weeks in the US.

Not just the 42mm. I ordered a 38mm SG Sport with a black band as soon as the store went live. I received an email confirmation with a 5/13-5/24 ship date. Why did I get up early again?!?

Mazeman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
In terms of Andrew being mocked for thinking that Tim might respond, that's simply wrong.

I e-mailed Tim a couple weeks ago (during the Indiana law brouhaha) and got a response, signed "Tim".

So just like Steve, he *does* respond to an occasional e-mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.