Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
My cousins kid spilled a can of milk all over my iPhone 6 while we were having coffee together. she will report it to her insurance company and they will pay for it. now I do have apple care + which hasn't been used yet. can I transfer it to the new iPhone or can applecare+ only be transfered to a phone that has been replaced through apple itself?

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
What you can do, however, so you don't lose out on the AppleCare+ you purchased, you can call Apple and get a partial refund. I get the iPhone every year and I always get around $60 back from the previous phone's AppleCare refund.

ilugram

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Easiest thing for all parties may be to get your cousin to just pay the replacement fee with AppleCare plus as this will probably save them money over paying a deductible and of having their rates go up due to making a claim. Yes you use one of your replacements but the rest of your AppleCare plus lives on.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
What is the insurance you are talking about? Through your carrier? If thats the case, you'll have a deductible through both. I'd say go through the one that is cheaper. Also, if you have both, I think you'd want to use the insurance more for theft and AppleCare+ for damages.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Definitely go through AppleCare+. Your deductible will likely be a lot less through them, AND you will retain AppleCare coverage. If the insurance company replaces your phone or pays you to buy a new one, you will lose AppleCare+ and will have to cancel the old AppleCare+ and buy a new one.

(On the other hand, doing that WILL extend your coverage a full two years, if you're concerned about that... it'll just be more hassle and a bit more expense.)

If it turns out your insurance company deductible is less (or zero) than AppleCare+, ask the insurance company if you can submit the AppleCare+ charge to them for reimbursement. The insurance company will look more favorably on covering a $79 than they will the full cost of a $700+ phone, which will factor into your premium costs come renewal time.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Easiest thing for all parties may be to get your cousin to just pay the replacement fee with AppleCare plus as this will probably save them money over paying a deductible and of having their rates go up due to making a claim. Yes you use one of your replacements but the rest of your AppleCare plus lives on.

That's the most reasonable approach.
Have your cousin pay the $79 out of pocket for the applecare plus incident.
Instead she would have to pay a $500 deductible and insurance will pay the rest $149
Doesnt make sense to go through homeowners insurance for such incident unless she wants to see her rates go up and pay even more out of pocket to cover the deductible.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that's a good idea for some reason that obvious choice didn't even occure to me. thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.