Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
System: Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina
HDD: 500GB
Memory: 16GB
CPU: 2.5GHz i7

Problems:
1. Since upgrading the OS, the system gets unusually warm. It is doing it now and I don't have much going on except Safari with two tabs.
2. Photos seems to work, but I don't really understand what is going on with the libraries. In Finder is says that I have a ~245GB Photos library and a ~250GB Aperture library. How can that be with only a 500GB SSD in the system?
3. Finder shows ~140TB available no matter what I have selected. I have a NAS, Dropbox, etc., but none of them have that much space.
4. Although totally unrelated to my MBP, the conversion/migration of the Aperture library on one of my iMacs hung up at 68% the first time and 55% the second time. It worked the first time on my MBP.

I am hoping all this is a result of user error; I would appreciate any feedback from the community.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
My concern is that, after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3, Mail now has a delayed "jump" when I shift from one email to the next. I've not noticed that in other apps, but it is a bit disconcerting. Hopefully, it'll be fixed in 10.10.4, if not before.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
System: Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina
HDD: 500GB
Memory: 16GB
CPU: 2.5GHz i7

Problems:
1. Since upgrading the OS, the system gets unusually warm. It is doing it now and I don't have much going on except Safari with two tabs.
2. Photos seems to work, but I don't really understand what is going on with the libraries. In Finder is says that I have a ~245GB Photos library and a ~250GB Aperture library. How can that be with only a 500GB SSD in the system?
3. Finder shows ~140TB available no matter what I have selected. I have a NAS, Dropbox, etc., but none of them have that much space.
4. Although totally unrelated to my MBP, the conversion/migration of the Aperture library on one of my iMacs hung up at 68% the first time and 55% the second time. It worked the first time on my MBP.

I am hoping all this is a result of user error; I would appreciate any feedback from the community.

Re: item 2 - Although Finder displays those two libraries as each being around 250GB, what's actually happening is that OS X is using multiple "hard links" to save space - one copy of the image file on the SSD, with both Photos and Aperture linking to the same file. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204476

If you delete one of those libraries, you'll see a relatively small change in the amount of available disk space. As long as a file has two or more hard links, it can't be deleted from the drive - a delete just removes the link (in your case, deleting the Aperture library just deletes Aperture's link to the image file).

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Re: item 2 - Although Finder displays those two libraries as each being around 250GB, what's actually happening is that OS X is using multiple "hard links" to save space - one copy of the image file on the SSD, with both Photos and Aperture linking to the same file. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204476

If you delete one of those libraries, you'll see a relatively small change in the amount of available disk space. As long as a file has two or more hard links, it can't be deleted from the drive - a delete just removes the link (in your case, deleting the Aperture library just deletes Aperture's link to the image file).

Thanks for that information. Now if I can just get Photos to work on the iMac. It worked fine on my Macbook Pro. I haven't tried it on my newer iMac yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.