Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Just as the title states. I'm switching carriers and will be getting a new phone. I have the ip6 and like it, but that new S6 is pretty sweet. Iphone no longer has the build quality advantage, and the S6 allows for true multitasking and much more freedom for the user to customize.

I've had android before and went to the iPhone for build quality and battery life both of which now exist on android with the S6.

Anyone else tempted?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
LOL It sounds like you've been watching too many commercials.

I use an iPhone because there are more apps available. Who needs to customize a phone when you are going to sell it in 2 yrs? I would be more opted to customize my Mac vs my iPhone.

Multitasking? I don't know what else you need an iPhone to do? While my iPhone charges I can work on my iPad, then continue on my Mac because I just answered the phone call on my iPad. lol

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I don't know what to tell you, both phones have advantages and disadvantages over the other.

Regarding quality i must tell you the Galaxy S6 apparently is as prone to scratches as the iphone 6.

You might get more freedom on the galaxy s6 to customize but you also get tons of bloatware too....

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
Any of the reasons that might have tempted me were removed when samsung made the phone without a micro sd port and removable battery. The phone's build quality mirrors an iPhone and personally I prefer iOS over Android. That's just me though.

Americasteam

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2014
You're not going to get many positive remarks regarding the S6 here. I have both the iPhone 6 Plus and S6 Edge right now. Also have a Note 4. Both the 6 Plus and S6 Edge have their pros and cons. I'm not sure which one I'm going to keep yet.

S6 camera is outstanding, it runs very smooth, screen is just plain awesome, and has pretty good battery life.

iOS 8.3 has the 6 Plus running super smooth and battery life is never ending. I also have an iPad Air 2, so the iPhone works as one with it. Cell signal is a little better with the iPhone. There's also better quality apps on iOS. Since dropping Safari and using Mercury Browser, I don't have that many issues with multitasking.

It's a tough call. Both great devices.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I personally don't like this,(and i'm a samgung guy regarding phones)

Carriers Removing Certain Apps From Samsung Galaxy S6
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/04/carriers-removing-certain-apps-from-samsung-galaxy-s6/

Each single carrier worldwide is messing with the apps and bloatware as far as they want. That's not cool, ios are pretty much the same world wide.

Also paying that much for such an expensive phone but at the same time getting all this bloatware for free..definitely not cool, it feels cheap.

attachment.php

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
My nephew's Motorola is making me think twice, but Apple's integration is hard to depart from. Plus, I can color all my Emoji into a third-world nation of characters.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Not at all. It's running the wrong OS and I'm not a fan of Samsung's consumer products. I'll continue using my current iPhone and purchase the one that comes out later this year as well.

It's nice that Samsung finally joined the rest of the industry and made a device with decent build quality though.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Just as the title states. I'm switching carriers and will be getting a new phone. I have the ip6 and like it, but that new S6 is pretty sweet. Iphone no longer has the build quality advantage, and the S6 allows for true multitasking and much more freedom for the user to customize.

I've had android before and went to the iPhone for build quality and battery life both of which now exist on android with the S6.

Anyone else tempted?

The problem you are going to run into is the quality of Apps and overall OS polish will turn you off over time. You also have to consider that Samsung likes to copy but does a half ass job in doing so. Stick with the tried and true phone and ecosystem because you will come back in the end after reality sets in.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Better battery life? I guess you haven't heard, the S6 battery life is pretty poor. Especially with that >500ppi screen. If battery life is a factor for you, the S6 is not the one.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm actually looking forward to the 6s series this year. Hope to see real under the hood improvements. Obviously 2 gb ram will quell a lot of concerns from us in here. I honestly love my 6 right now overall. But I upgrade every year and I'm thinking of going with the plus this time around. I'd get an apple watch (2nd gen) to compliment it.

----------

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/04/carriers-removing-certain-apps-from-samsung-galaxy-s6/

Each single carrier worldwide is messing with the apps and bloatware as far as they want. That's not cool, ios are pretty much the same world wide.

Also paying that much for such an expensive phone but at the same time getting all this bloatware for free..definitely not cool, it feels cheap.

That's pretty ridiculous right there. Jesus.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Yes, I bought an S6. It is a beautiful device. It's a midnight blue with glass on the front and back, and with the 5.1" screen it is the perfect size. I didn't have a problem with the lack of removable battery or SD card, as the iPhone has never had them.

The dealbreaker for me was the software. First of all, there's no iCloud Keychain, and the third party alternatives were just terrible compared to the simplicity and security of iCloud Keychain.

There's no iCloud, so stuff ends up being scattered across Google Drive and Dropbox.

There's no FaceTime and no iMessage. Those proved to be far harder to live without than I anticipated. I lasted two days, sent it back this morning.

I will say this: I preferred the Samsung device. I think it's nicer looking, and a better size. Wireless charging is slick as well. For me it came down to the iOS ecosystem. It is unmatched.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I got the S6 Edge. Hated Android devices before, and the worst phone I've ever used was the Galaxy S4 (used for dev work).

BUT WOW! The S6 Edge is fantastic. Amazing camera, split screen multitasking (helpful for research that I do to have a browser open with my study app side by side), 3GB of RAM, and 8 core processor. The curved screen is beautiful, but not a whole lot of reason to need it for anything yet. Samsung also toned down the monster that is Touch wiz, and the build quality is outstanding.

There is an issue with battery life and TMobile and AT&T at the moment. I had to disable voice over WiFi because it was causing a huge battery drain on the cell system for some reason.

If you are heavy into the Apple ecosystem it would be painful to switch, and not worth it. But I had started divesting myself and/or using non Apple products (Kindle) to guard myself from an Apple meltdown as they become more and more of a fashion company and less and less of a tech company.

When we retire my wife's iPhone 5S (getting ready to with botched OS updates), we will get her an S6 or whatever is the latest from Samsung. This phone is superb. And I never would have thought I'd like a Samsung #worldischanging #thinkdifferent

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not at all. It's running the wrong OS and I'm not a fan of Samsung's consumer products. I'll continue using my current iPhone and purchase the one that comes out later this year as well.

It's nice that Samsung finally joined the rest of the industry and made a device with decent build quality though.

I like Samsung consumer products, and it's not that I don't like their hardware..,not an android fan. One can try to do an exhaustive feature analysis, add up the points and some android devices may win over iOS devices on paper. But I'll get an iPhone every time. iPhones #fitmyneedsbetterthanandroid.

Also most friends and family have iPhones and FaceTime and iMessage are used to communicate.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Better battery life? I guess you haven't heard, the S6 battery life is pretty poor. Especially with that >500ppi screen. If battery life is a factor for you, the S6 is not the one.

Note 4 has a +500ppi screen and has excellent battery life. The S6 has a small battery, that is the problem.

@capathy21

If size is not a problem I'd say forget both the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6, just treat yourself to a Galaxy Note 4. :)

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
LOL It sounds like you've been watching too many commercials.

I use an iPhone because there are more apps available. Who needs to customize a phone when you are going to sell it in 2 yrs? I would be more opted to customize my Mac vs my iPhone.

Multitasking? I don't know what else you need an iPhone to do? While my iPhone charges I can work on my iPad, then continue on my Mac because I just answered the phone call on my iPad. lol

I'm an iPhone guy all the way, but I think you're thinking about the way things were in 2012 :D

Google Play and Amazon offer the vast majority of apps you'll find in the App Store, and what you can't find can usually be replaced with a decent alternative. And multitasking on large android phones is pretty slick. Being able to use two apps on the same screen is something I'm really looking forward to on the iPhone one day.

Having said that, I stick with iPhones because of the ecosystem. There is nothing on android like iCloud, and for all its warts, iOS just works better for me.

The S6 looks like a fantastic device (maybe because it looks really familiar ;) ) but I just don't know what's going on with Samsung. I think they consistently put the best displays on their phones...I freaking love their screens, but everything else is mostly a head scratcher (Touch Wiz, water proofing the S5 and not the S6, taking away expandable storage/battery swapping). It's like everything they do is an attempt to one-up Apple and other competitors....throwing a half-baked finger print reader in, making a metal body at the expense of being able to swap out internals, the Galaxy Pay service (we'll see how well that works I guess). It's like they just throw everything possible into the phone to see what sticks. No rhyme or reason, no cohesiveness, just a random assortment of features.

I don't always agree with everything Apple does with the iPhone, but they have a consistent design language and are very methodical. I know the next iPhone is going to be everything my current one is and more. You can't say that about Samsung.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Just one comment - the new fingerprint scanner on the S6 is as good as the one I had on my iPhone 5S. The one on the Galaxy S5 was a joke however.

I'm an iPhone guy all the way, but I think you're thinking about the way things were in 2012 :D

Google Play and Amazon offer the vast majority of apps you'll find in the App Store, and what you can't find can usually be replaced with a decent alternative. And multitasking on large android phones is pretty slick. Being able to use two apps on the same screen is something I'm really looking forward to on the iPhone one day.

Having said that, I stick with iPhones because of the ecosystem. There is nothing on android like iCloud, and for all its warts, iOS just works better for me.

The S6 looks like a fantastic device (maybe because it looks really familiar ;) ) but I just don't know what's going on with Samsung. I think they consistently put the best displays on their phones...I freaking love their screens, but everything else is mostly a head scratcher (Touch Wiz, water proofing the S5 and not the S6, taking away expandable storage/battery swapping). It's like everything they do is an attempt to one-up Apple and other competitors....throwing a half-baked finger print reader in, making a metal body at the expense of being able to swap out internals, the Galaxy Pay service (we'll see how well that works I guess). It's like they just throw everything possible into the phone to see what sticks. No rhyme or reason, no cohesiveness, just a random assortment of features.

I don't always agree with everything Apple does with the iPhone, but they have a consistent design language and are very methodical. I know the next iPhone is going to be everything my current one is and more. You can't say that about Samsung.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

That article says verizon got rid of download booster but I have it on my verizon gs6.

That picture of bloat is a complete lie and I don't have 95% of those apps pre installed on my phone.

Also wtf would att install a verizon fios app on a att phone? Gee maybe the owner has verizon fios TV and installed it personally

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Really? I have the S6 Edge and it gets great battery life. Better than the IP6 when I had it. It typically lasts all 24-26 hours between charges.
Not the same as my N4 or 6+ plus but those are bigger phones with bigger batteries.

----------

That article says verizon got rid of download booster but I have it on my verizon gs6.

That picture of bloat is a complete lie and I don't have 95% of those apps pre installed on my phone.

Also wtf would att install a verizon fios app on a att phone? Gee maybe the owner has verizon fios TV and installed it personally
Yeah....something smells fishy with all that bloat. I have a VZW S6 Edge and had no where near that kind of bloat installed.

imnjs

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
I got to play around with the S6 for a couple days and I have to say I was really impressed. The trimmed down TouchWiz, much improved camera, improved fingerprint scanner, and the overall aesthetics were top notch and something to be expected from Apple's #1 competitor.

That being said, the battery life was crap and the volume levels still leave something to be desired. That alone kept me from making the permanent switch.

Really impressed with the direction that Samsung is going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.