Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

latisha1903

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
houston
I just recieved a letter from Apple, informing me that my powerbook one year limited warranty will expire on the 15 of april.

The cost to extend the warranty is 377.79, a whole 377.79 that i do not have, nor even have access to. [i'm a struggling college student, and a warranty does not fit my budget.

will i be making a big mistake if i don't find out how to some way get this extended warranty.

what is the likelyhood that i'll be regretting this further down the road?

thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
IMO, Murphy's Law dictates that your most expensive piece of equipment on the laptop WILL fail on April 16th. A new logic board or LCD can cost ALMOST AS MUCH AS A NEW LAPTOP. You think you're ****ed for cash now?

I always encourage people to buy AppleCare on their Macs, particularly laptops. They're just too expensive to repair and a measly $400 now can save you thousands later.

So, IMO, you should get a job (or another job) or whatever you need to do to get that money and buy it before your warranty is up.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Dunno where $377 came from, but the regular price of AC warranty on the site is $349 I think, and the Education discount brings that to $239 I believe. Still a chunk, but IMO a worthwhile expenditure and cheaper than what you were originally quoted.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
latisha1903 said:
I just recieved a letter from Apple, informing me that my powerbook one year limited warranty will expire on the 15 of april.

The cost to extend the warranty is 377.79, a whole 377.79 that i do not have, nor even have access to. [i'm a struggling college student, and a warranty does not fit my budget.

will i be making a big mistake if i don't find out how to some way get this extended warranty.

thanks

You can buy the EDU Applecare. It probably worth buying. Maybe you can sell some stuff on ebay to get $250. Well you might not regret it but its not really worth the risk.. My PB was sent back 3 times in 3 years.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
latisha1903 said:
The cost to extend the warranty is 377.79

If you're eligible, and as a college student you should be, education applecare = $239

latisha1903 said:

High. I've gone through 3 screens & 1 logic board on my powerbook. Free with applecare several thousand without...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.