Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Do we have to migrate to Photos or can we continue to use iPhoto? I am still able to open iPhoto and all its functions still work...

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
For now though, they might not work anymore in the next version of OSX.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple will no longer update/patch Photos or Aperture, so it will be only a matter of time.

Plenty of nonpatched/nonupdated apps run on Yosemite. i've got iDVD running on my Yosemite and it hasn't been updated for years.

I will be annoyed if they put an arbitrary limit on iPhoto at some stage... maybe if they'd given iPhoto a worth successor, but they haven't.

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
I highly doubt Apple will actively remove iPhoto at some point, but they will keep updating OSX and at some point it might break iPhoto.

Whilst Photos is far from perfect, I don't understand all the hate. For now if Photos doesn't suit your particular needs you can still use iPhoto/Aperture and I am pretty sure that Photos will get quite a few updates improving things (just like they did with Final Cut and the iWorks apps)

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Whilst Photos is far from perfect, I don't understand all the hate.

The "hate" is not (necessarily) towards Photos, but more like disgust and irritation towards Apple. If you are going to replace a major app used by many in your installed base, and if you are also going to ballyhoo it as the greatest thing since sliced beer, you'd better produce a really good app. Not only is Photos not "really good" is it just barely better than terrible. I have heard the argument that Photos is what you get for free while iPhoto and Aperature are what you get when you pay for it. OK, then pitch Photos over the side and keep updating the other two and let us pay for them. And maybe fix some of their long-standing issues while you're at it.

The hate is just massive disappointment with Apple for such a shoddy showing after a big lead-in. Maybe Photos will improve with time, but it's starting off like standing in a big hole.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
why don't deletes and edits sync across from iPhone to mac in the photos pane?

is it just me?

using photo stream, not the new iCloud photo library

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Plenty of nonpatched/nonupdated apps run on Yosemite. i've got iDVD running on my Yosemite and it hasn't been updated for years.

I will be annoyed if they put an arbitrary limit on iPhoto at some stage... maybe if they'd given iPhoto a worth successor, but they haven't.

You're right, but by the same token, you don't want to upgrade or update your system, and all of sudden you cannot access your images. The way apple does things, its not always the easiest to downgrade to a prior patch level.

The writing is on the wall, iPhoto is dead, though it will still work, do your really want to take a chance with your images, for me they mean too much. I'm in the same boat (aperture user), and I opted to move over to Lightroom before the decision was made for me, i.e., Aperture stopped working. That way I could manage an organized and slow migration to LR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.