Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I do a bit of scuba diving and always wear my wrist computer with the display mounted on the inner/underside of my wrist. This helps protect against banging the display against pieces of steel on wreck dives and so on. Also helps keep the computer from snagging on stray fishing lines that litter some dive sites.

I also notice that it is just a bit more natural and convenient to use the buttons on the computer this way because of the way your wrist tends to pronate away from you, versus towards you if you were to hold your hand palm facing down at about stomach level.

Just curious if anyone wears their normal watches this way or maybe planning on wearing their Apple watch this way for a little extra protection?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
For me it would be the opposite of extra protection, since I'm sure I would end up slamming it against my computer, desk or keyboard all the time.

Reactions: ladytonya

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
I've thought about it, because I suspect the heat rate monitor might be more accurate that way, but I don't like the look.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There are times that I'll wear a watch that way, too, for protection. Or sometimes because it makes it easier to sneak glances at the time (hands folded on a table in front of me, say).

In any case, most/all of the smartwatches I have, will not automatically turn on in that orientation.

That's because the wrist twist to bring the face into view, goes the opposite direction from how you twist your wrist if worn on top. So the watch ignores your twist, as it assumes you're actually turning the watch to face away from you.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
This was a habit that I picked up when I was a field artillery officer in the US Army. While I now wear my watch on the top of my wrist, I still at times find myself looking at a watch strap buckle as opposed to my Pebble.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I do a bit of scuba diving and always wear my wrist computer with the display mounted on the inner/underside of my wrist. This helps protect against banging the display against pieces of steel on wreck dives and so on. Also helps keep the computer from snagging on stray fishing lines that litter some dive sites.

I also notice that it is just a bit more natural and convenient to use the buttons on the computer this way because of the way your wrist tends to pronate away from you, versus towards you if you were to hold your hand palm facing down at about stomach level.

Just curious if anyone wears their normal watches this way or maybe planning on wearing their Apple watch this way for a little extra protection?

I've thought about it, because I suspect the heat rate monitor might be more accurate that way, but I don't like the look.

From Apple's own "Wearing Apple Watch" guide:

"In addition, the sensors will work only if you wear Apple Watch on the top of your wrist."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thanks. I also wanted to wear my watch under my wrist. Stil not enough of a reason to cancel.

The watch is worn OVER the wrist, not UNDER. Just like toilet paper is OVER not under! Get it right, people! :)

tp_diag01.gif

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

Sorry. This is strictly a FYI. "Pronation away from you" is called supination.

----------

The watch is worn OVER the wrist, not UNDER. Just like toilet paper is OVER not under! Get it right, people! :)

Absolutely. I just don't understand how anyone can do the toilet paper thing under instead of over.

Reactions: coldsweat

chenjas1

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Surprised that Apple's support page says that the sensors won't work unless it's on the top of your wrist.

I've seen a few YouTube videos showing people putting two fingers on the backside of the display watches at the stores and have been able to get a HR reading.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I once wore my watch with the face on the underside, of course Starsky & Hutch was the most popular show on TV at the time.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Who uses toilet paper?

Thank you.

Baby Wipes only.

I'm wearing my Watch face up but was curious if anyone did the opposite.

Thanks for the input guys.

----------

I once wore my watch with the face on the underside, of course Starsky & Hutch was the most popular show on TV at the time.

.0758% of the people here would probably remember actually watching that classic.

I'm one of those people.

----------

Sorry. This is strictly a FYI. "Pronation away from you" is called supination.

----------

Absolutely. I just don't understand how anyone can do the toilet paper thing under instead of over.

Ahhh yes, SUPination. forgot my terms.

The airplane scene just came to mind with the Over/Under debate. What's your vector, Victor?

----------

There are times that I'll wear a watch that way, too, for protection. Or sometimes because it makes it easier to sneak glances at the time (hands folded on a table in front of me, say).

In any case, most/all of the smartwatches I have, will not automatically turn on in that orientation.

That's because the wrist twist to bring the face into view, goes the opposite direction from how you twist your wrist if worn on top. So the watch ignores your twist, as it assumes you're actually turning the watch to face away from you.

I see. I am debating setting the auto on/off feature to "off" regardless of how I wear the watch if it turns on too much in the course of a day without my intent.

----------

This was a habit that I picked up when I was a field artillery officer in the US Army. While I now wear my watch on the top of my wrist, I still at times find myself looking at a watch strap buckle as opposed to my Pebble.

Hope your guys sent some "messages" down range. ;)

Tmdlkwd

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
SoCal
W the HRM

Yes, exactly!!

I plan to try it out both ways when I cycle
Then, I am going to compare reading to my Scosche Rhy Plus Optical HRM

Including wearing both on the same arm, and then, on the opposite wrist
Trying out several diff combinations

didnt know sensors for watch on the to:(

I don't mind wearing the Watch on the underside if its more accurate

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes, exactly!!

I plan to try it out both ways when I cycle
Then, I am going to compare reading to my Scosche Rhy Plus Optical HRM

Including wearing both on the same arm, and then, on the opposite wrist
Trying out several diff combinations

I don't mind wearing the Watch on the underside if its more accurate

Please read my above post and the link to Apple's page directly.

The direct quote from Apple's guide is:

"In addition, the sensors will work only if you wear Apple Watch on the top of your wrist."

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Race car drivers and airline pilots were known to wear them under the wrist (before electronic HUDs and F1 steering wheel info centers came about). They could check the time without removing their hand from the controls. I tried it for a while but couldn't get used to it. Then I got a fairly large watch and it became impossible to do.

arminta7

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Portland, OR

Wouldn't it be like you were wearing it on the opposite wrist? Like if you wore it on the inside of your right wrist it would be the same direction as if you were wearing it on the outside of your left wrist? Would it work if you changed the handedness? Maybe I'm just confused lol

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
I see your orientation point here.

I am wondering now if the watch sensors pick up movement from a wrist at your side position to any movement upward that puts the face of the watch looking towards the sky.

I'm actually gonna drop by Apple now and do some tests on over/under wearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.