Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Will the BTO always be a roughly 3-4 week delivery even after apple catches up? What have BTO shipping timelines looked like for past products?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Will the BTO always be a roughly 3-4 week delivery even after apple catches up? What have BTO shipping timelines looked like for past products?

Nah, it'll go down. A normal shipping timeline for doing BTO is 1-3 business days.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I've ordered a BTO MBA (maxed out) in the past that arrived in something like 2-4 days from when I ordered it but that wasn't at the beginning of the cycle or anything.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Good to hear. I think that is the game plan- wait around and see what some 1.2 and 1.3 users experience regarding heat generation and then just get the 1.3 shipped quickly. I wonder when the times will start to drop.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Good to hear. I think that is the game plan- wait around and see what some 1.2 and 1.3 users experience regarding heat generation and then just get the 1.3 shipped quickly. I wonder when the times will start to drop.

I say order as soon as you can. No on knows how long it'll take to start dropping so you might as well get in queue.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I say order as soon as you can. No on knows how long it'll take to start dropping so you might as well get in queue.

I am not in a rush, but you might be right. The way I am looking at it - since I don't need to the extra storage and am using an education discount, it really is only a 225 difference to get the maxed one that I want, and I can't imagine there being any foreseeable draw backs to getting the 1.3 right now. But time will tell.

dmac20

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
My plan was about the same as you..waiting to hear whether the 1.3 is worth it or not before ordering. Now I'm a little worried that I should have just at least ordered something right away :/

Does Best Buy allow you to upgrade to the 1.3 or do you have to just order one of the standard 2 configs?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
My plan was about the same as you..waiting to hear whether the 1.3 is worth it or not before ordering. Now I'm a little worried that I should have just at least ordered something right away :/

Does Best Buy allow you to upgrade to the 1.3 or do you have to just order one of the standard 2 configs?

Nope, Best Buy only has the base models.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015

I am going to guess that the shipping time for the 1.3 should at least stay constant. We can keep our eyes out for some more 1.2 performance/heat reviews and then sign up for a 1.3 in the near future.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am going to guess that the shipping time for the 1.3 should at least stay constant. We can keep our eyes out for some more 1.2 performance/heat reviews and then sign up for a 1.3 in the near future.

Why would you assume that? With time they're going to start selling to other countries.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Why would you assume that? With time they're going to start selling to other countries.

Just based on the fact that there was obviously some kind of initial supply shortage, hopefully they surmount it and everything stabilizes even though global shipping picks up.

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Isn't there a decent chance that the 1.3 could get outperformed by the 1.1 anyway based on Anandtech findings? I don't know how much the Geekbench numbers would expose this, but on face value their results seem to show that the 1.3 may not be all that great because it's sitting in the exact same chassis as the 1.1.

This is at the edge of my knowledge, but what are the thoughts here? That Apple has done something special for keeping the 1.2 and 1.3 chips from throttling?

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
My guess is that Apple won't ramp up the 1.3s until the 1.1s and 1.2s are shipping within a reasonable time.

Last edited:

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Isn't there a decent chance that the 1.3 could get outperformed by the 1.1 anyway based on Anandtech findings? I don't know how much the Geekbench numbers would expose this, but on face value their results seem to show that the 1.3 may not be all that great because it's sitting in the exact same chassis as the 1.1.

This is at the edge of my knowledge, but what are the thoughts here? That Apple has done something special for keeping the 1.2 and 1.3 chips from throttling?

I have modest aspirations performance-wise. I would gladly pay for the upgrade even if it only meant the 1.3 would run cooler when streaming- which is a substantial part of my use.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
My guess is that Apple won't ramp up the 1.3s until the 1.1s and 1.2s are shipping within a reasonable time.

Gotcha, hopefully it stays constant but I understand there is a possibility it might slip further. This is why I am trying to gather as much info as I can to possibly submit an order soon. One other factor I am considering regarding the 1.3 is battery life; Is there any reason to think there would be an appreciable difference?

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
I have modest aspirations performance-wise. I would gladly pay for the upgrade even if it only meant the 1.3 would run cooler when streaming- which is a substantial part of my use.

How is it going to run cooler streaming? The heat sink is exactly the same, right?

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Already ordered on the U.S. Site to pick up when visiting the parents next month, so will update this with progress. Just wondered if anyone else might have got one earlier. I'm showing mid-end May delivery right now.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
It could run cooler because it most likely throttles shorter than the 1.1 & 1.2 models.

The simple fact that there is a difference in temp between the 1.1 and 1.2 can also be an indicator of things to come with the 1.3- without going into technical specs which are by no means my strong suit. I am going forward based on reason and other user's personal experiences so far (which I appreciate BTW)

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Why must the gods be so cruel!!!!!!! It's a base model with the 1.3CPU upgrade

image.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.