Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Has anyone had second thoughts about the color now that you have it?

Anyone exchange just to get a different color?

----------

I ordered gold but I am now having second thoughts about maybe going with the space grey. Mine hasn't arrived yet, though.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I have SG, same as my iPhone/iPad. Though some of the comments about the gold looking great with the black trim LCD/keyboard are making me second guess.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Space gray all the way. The main reason I want the rMB over the rMBP is aesthetics. I would only take a space gray :)

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
In order of the best looking color (for me) first:

At pre-order: Gold, Space Gray, Silver
After playing with it at the store in a combination of indoor and outdoor light: Silver, Space Gray, Gold

What I ordered? Space Gray, because I didn't want to wait for the Gold and because I ordered it before I saw it in person.

It occurs to me that Apple would have less returns (and less cost from having to refurb a unit and having to sell it for less) if they made these available for viewing before opening it for pre-order. Or (gasp!) just having them in the store on launch day! Alas I'm preaching to the choir.

I'll probably live with the Space Gray. It's not bad looking, just not my best choice. However I imagine most won't have that indifference!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Wanted silver - the new traditional look and less chance of grief from colleagues.

Purchased gold - all they had.

I am really liking the gold...no $h!t from my colleagues...yet! ;)

brvhrt

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
Upon first seeing them in store I definitely didn't want gold, thought the space grey looked too sombre so decided to order silver. While waiting for it to arrive I thought maybe space grey would have been a better choice since it was a new color option for a macbook and would feel a bit different for me. I actually held off opening the newly delivered silver macbook until I went back to take another look. The more I looked at them the more I thought I made the right decision - the space grey is too dark for my liking. From certain angles I feel it looks like a regular grey plastic Dell business laptop (purely in terms of color, not design of course). The regular aluminum silver immediately says "Apple" to me.

But I definitely did a lot of back and forth on my color decision.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I initially ordered space gray from Apple on the day of release, but also picked up a silver from a local BB on Monday. I'm on the fence on which one I'll keep as my space gray arrives tomorrow. I like the silver because it looks more like a "Mac" compared to the other colors, but also seeing the space gray on display I really like that color too. The space gray one does look like it could be an ultrabook from a completely different manufacturer at first glance, but looks awesome imo.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
i'm really enjoying the gold.

granted it was only one that BB had, but in a sense I'm glad it is-- drew me to give it a whirl when I might not have otherwise.

the black on gold is pretty sweet.

better than white on gold (iOS), would consider this combo.

I have a gold base model. Love the color. Black keys contrast the gold. Looks great

yeah it really shows off the new KB well

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Love my Gold choice!

As others have mentioned, the black keyboard and gold look great together (in my opinion). Very slick machine, the thinness really surprised me in person!

It's a perfect combo of "iPad size" but with full OS and keyboard.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I think the gold is neat - actually, it's the only one I've seen in person. BUT, I see some hints of pink in it - sort of like a rose gold, but soft. I think it's neat, but I also think that will wear off. Just my opinion. My space gray is on its way.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Gold Passes a Test

My gold rMB passed a test today - I had a big meeting with a lot of people I've known for decades. If any group would feel free to give me $h!t about a gold computer, it would be this crowd. Not a peep. I should mention that under the office overhead lighting (CFLs and LEDs), the gold actually washes out a good bit and looks not very gold at all, almost silver-ish.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I just got back from a BB trip at lunch. Could've had a Gold base system, it's all they had. But it will have to be silver or space for me. Don't care which.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
My gold rMB passed a test today - I had a big meeting with a lot of people I've known for decades. If any group would feel free to give me $h!t about a gold computer, it would be this crowd. Not a peep. I should mention that under the office overhead lighting (CFLs and LEDs), the gold actually washes out a good bit and looks not very gold at all, almost silver-ish.

Thanks for this,I was starting to feel really nervous about the gold. Glad to hear it's not too loud.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 102

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'm happy with the silver. It's not so noticeable, and I expect it to show less scratching than the Space Gray. I never considered the gold, personally.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Happy with my colour, hmm lemme just grab my laptop…
OH WAIT NO I'M IN EUROPE.

:p Sorry, I just be trollin / bitter.

Glad to hear the gold getting some love though!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
So many people still like their gold. That's awesome!

I have both a gold and a space gray on order. I need to decide what I want and cancel the one I don't want.

I hope to make into a store to see the gold and space gray one at the same time to decide.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.