Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs0604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Is there a site where I can plug in the particulars of my current laptop (2009 17" macbook pro) to compare it to current new macbook airs and macbook pros? I would like to compare my current computer on which I run photoshop to see how much faster, if at all, photoshop would run on a new air and new pro. This might help me decide whether or to upgrade now to a new computer and, if so, which computer to choose.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Is there a site where I can plug in the particulars of my current laptop (2009 17" macbook pro) to compare it to current new macbook airs and macbook pros? I would like to compare my current computer on which I run photoshop to see how much faster, if at all, photoshop would run on a new air and new pro. This might help me decide whether or to upgrade now to a new computer and, if so, which computer to choose.

It's very hard to compare.

First, there's the CPU. For this, use Geekbench.

For the hard drive, there's a massive difference between HDD and SSD. So even a lower powered CPU with an SSD can perform better than a higher powered CPU with a HDD.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It is a core 2 duo in yours

and a 512mb graphics card of particularly poor vintage. Just about everything apple now sells is faster possibly including the Ipad air 2.....

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Geekbench is your friend.

The higher the number, the higher the raw processing power is. Raw processing power affects things like filters, effects, rendering (basically anything that relies almost entirely on the processor).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.