Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

time-cook-time-100-2015-icons-250x333.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook has made TIME's annual list of "the 100 most influential people" alongside several other notable celebrities, business executives, scientists, authors, healthcare professionals, iconic leaders and more.

Cook's segment was written by John Lewis, a civil rights leader and Democratic Congressman from Georgia. The chief executive last made TIME's list in 2012, less than one year after the passing of Steve Jobs.
"It could not have been easy for Tim Cook to step into the immense shadow cast by the late Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs. But with grace and courage and an unabashed willingness to be his own man, Tim has pushed Apple to unimaginable profitability--and greater social responsibility. He is setting a new standard for what business can do in the world. Tim is unwavering in his support of an individual's right to privacy and is not only embracing equality and LGBT rights but advocating for change through his words and actions. His commitment to renewable energy is also leaving our planet a little cleaner and a little greener for generations yet unborn."
While not included in the list himself, Apple design chief Jonathan Ive also wrote a piece on Airbnb founder and fellow designer Brian Chesky, describing him as a "travel revolutionary" that has created a new way to build community through his startup. "Brian Chesky's audacity is fabulous. He dares to believe that we shouldn't be strangers, that we can have a sense of true belonging whenever, wherever we travel."

Notable inclusions in the tech industry include YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and Xiaomi founder and CEO Lei Jun. Other highly recognizable names making the list include Emma Watson, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Hillary Clinton, Pope Francis, Tim McGraw and Vladimir Putin. Cook was also nominated for TIME's "Person of the Year" award in 2014.

Article Link: Tim Cook Featured in TIME's List of '100 Most Influential People'

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I can't help but notice he's listed below Kayne West.

Just wait until Tim Cook activates the mind control field secretly built into every iOS device.

Then we'll see who's influential.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Let's see Samsung (and other companies) copy that!

The environmental and social responsibility aspects of Apple are what impress me the most about Tim Cook. But at the same time I wonder if perhaps those things don't distract away from the products. It's hard to be laser focused about producing the best products if you're dealing with so many other things.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Sorry but how is Kim Kardashian influential? I can understand Emma Watson being in the list due to her recent "political" career but who does Kim Kardashian influence really?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I think people are still underestimating the impact of his coming out while still an active CEO, and of the most admired company in the world.

I work for a rather large Silicon Valley company and our CEO has been very vocal about being an ally for the LGBT community.

People sometimes say "so what"? Well, it makes a huge difference in lives of people not in the majority when their corporate culture makes them feel welcome. It makes a difference to teens struggling with depression. It makes a difference to anyone who has felt the sting of what I like to call "otherism", the various manifestations of which I won't debate here.

We've seen celebrities, athletes and entertainers wait until past the prime of their career to come out when it would impact them the least... Tim Cook used the moment when the world's eyes were all focused on him running one of the most valuable companies to reach out and strengthen the bridge of understanding and acceptance in our society.

That alone makes him a great leader.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Sorry but how is Kim Kardashian influential? I can understand Emma Watson being in the list due to her recent "political" career but who does Kim Kardashian influence really?

Just because she hasn't influenced you doesn't mean she hasn't influenced a generation of trashy teenagers.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Her butt is extremely influential...oh, and her father's accomplishments make her a worthy human being somehow.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Them that can, do (Jobs), them that can't make spectacles of themselves...

I'm sick of hearing about every CEO's pet project or their bedroom preferences. How about you get back to work Mr. Cook and start fixing the obvious decline in the utility of products that Apple offers? Ive is out of control, retail is in chaos, and the ongoing rot at the core of OS X has to stop.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Whatever crappy shoes / shirts / purses / fashion items she wears, probably sell like crazy... just like appearing on Oprah's book club makes books sell well. It's definitely influence.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I can't help but notice he's listed below Kayne West.

Everyone is listed below Kanye, because the order is random within the five categories.

What struck me was that Kanye was written up by Elon Musk. One of those two belonged on the list.

----------

Them that can, do (Jobs), them that can't make spectacles of themselves...

I'm sick of hearing about every CEO's pet project or their bedroom preferences. How about you get back to work Mr. Cook and start fixing the obvious decline in the utility of products that Apple offers? Ive is out of control, retail is in chaos, and the ongoing rot at the core of OS X has to stop.

And yet, Apple seems to be doing really well. Which metric should be used to justify the success of the CEO-- profits and stock value, or what you said? :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Just skimmed a few names and can only say:

Ey, caramba.

That one really hurts.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Kim Kardashian has a tremendous influence on me. If she appears on TV, I am completely compelled to change the channel. Believe me, her power is unequaled.

Tassiecelt

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Influential?

oh come on! What has he done but stand on the shoulders of Steve Jobs?
What has achieved but make endless variations of the same product and an overpriced watch? (And bucketloads of cash)
Apple has not nor ever will be the same with him at the helm.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN

It sucks, but that woman could tell people that she sticks porcupines up her butt and create an entirely new industry. I don't get it, but her and her wife are very influential among the masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.