Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I understand there are adapters, but am i correct to assume that out of the box, there is no way to connect an iPhone to this new MacBook besides Wireless Sync (which, if I remember, requires a physical connection to activate in the first place).

Can anyone confirm/correct my assertion?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
No physical connection is required to activate an iphone.

Also, you can use a USBA to USBC to attach your current lightning connector to the rMB until they come out with a USBC to lightning cable.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
No physical connection is required to activate an iphone.

Also, you can use a USBA to USBC to attach your current lightning connector to the rMB until they come out with a USBC to lightning cable.

My bad, I meant syncing with the Mac to transfer content or to backup via iTunes, not activating an iOS device at setup.

But that aside, does the adapter required come in the box with the macbook, or do have you no choice but to purchase separately?

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I bought a USB-C to Mini USB cable and that works perfectly with the mini usb to lightning adapter from Apple. But on Ebay I've also seen a couple of USB-C to lightning cables.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I bought a USB-C to Mini USB cable and that works perfectly with the mini usb to lightning adapter from Apple. But on Ebay I've also seen a couple of USB-C to lightning cables.

There have been some confirmed reports of off-brand Lightning connectors damaging iPhone and iPad ports. I know it's unpopular advice but I'd stick with Apple-brand cables. :eek:

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I know it's unpopular advice but I'd stick with Apple-brand cables. :eek:
That's why I use the adapter from Apple:

MD820

:)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's why I use the adapter from Apple:

:)

That's the micro USB to Lightning adapter, correct? The picture makes it look almost like USB C. Did I miss a Lightning to USB C adapter? I should revise my earlier statement too say that I'd be comfortable using any Lightning product Apple sells in their store. If it trashes the port, at least I can tell them it's their problem. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.